Poll: So the first Man of Steel teasers are out...

May 5, 2010
I'd say the trailers are pretty damn effective. I've never really given a shit about Superman before, but these trailers actually got to give, I don't know, one or two shits. Maybe even three. I mean, the most interesting part of Superman to me has always been how he compares to heroes from Greek myths, playing with the idea of super heroes being our new myths and legends. (See "The Big Picture") and it seems like this movie is going to focus on that.

Short Version: I'm in.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Bit spoilt for me by the LotR music. All I could see in my head were the faces of the fellowship after Gandalf dies, which slightly clashed with the visuals in the teaser!

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
What the heck is this sad little drama thing? Oh wait, there's a guy flying... is this like that one movie with the loser kids with mental powers... wait, this is a superman movie? The hell... That's not how you advertise a superman movie!

Seriously, A good superman trailer shows him saving some poor smuck and being super-heroic not shows us a bunch of meaningless stuff and tries to be sad before one second of superman flying and do jack shit. I am not impressed.
Because... Superman can't be dramatic? Is that what you're saying? Do you still watch the Superfriends or something? Because Superman has changed a lot as a character since oh, say, 1960!

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Loop Stricken said:
I Have No Idea said:
I think they look pretty good. I'm hoping that the story focuses more on how Superman acclimates to this world where he is a total outsider, a literal alien to those around him, rather than just focusing on his powers.
... if he was raised on Earth, by human parents, he'll be pretty damn acclimated already.

Anyway, not much to say about the trailer, though I do like the shaky-cam at the end.
As Clark Kent sure, but as Superman... well, I imagine it would take a while for an entire population to accept, let alone welcome, someone with that kind of power.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
OH THANK GOD not a video game. Those never turn out well.

I doubt I'm going to watch the movies though, I don't really like Superman much.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I don't know. Never been a big fan of Superman, he is way too OP. But the trailer was nice, so I am a bit undecided... Pancakes it is.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I was just wondering why they were playing Gandalf's death music from Fellowship of the Ring. I mean it's very recognisable music.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
One of the downsides of Christopher Nolan as a director, is that he tends to drag things out, maybe with Snyder on board this will be compensated with slow motion takes of Superman beating up thugs.

Captcha: perfect world.
Indeed.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
F said:
I was just wondering why they were playing Gandalf's death music from Fellowship of the Ring. I mean it's very recognisable music.
Soundtrack isn't finished yet, so they borrow. Happens a lot.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
im gonna be honest i was never really in to super man to begin with and these trailers havnt made me all that interested

F said:
i knew i head that music from somewhere in the Lord of the Rings trilogy just couldnt figure out where

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I was never really a Superman fan. All of my "Young kid raised by elderly folks fights villains" needs were met by Spider-Man as a kid.

Still, these trailers make it seem like they're making a go at retelling the origin story and maybe with a fresh start I can get to like the character a bit.

And I'll admit, I do like Zack Snyder a lot, I think he's a brilliant choice to direct this

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I got the Russel Crow one at my screening, its an odd way of doing trailers though I like that one is his father and the other is the man who raised him.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Do I like the teasers?

Eeeeerrreeeyeeerrrreeeeeeeee...yes. Yes, I think I do.

BUT! I'm not sold yet. I'm very happy that Nolan is still involved, but we are still talking about Zach Snyder and David S. Goyer here. Both the very definition of "hit-or-miss".

So, this film could turn out to be the best Superman movie yet. Or, it could end up being worse than Green Lantern.

Time will tell.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Too early to say but as long as it's better than the most recent Superman film it'll be okay.

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
Why am I getting 'Tree of Life'-vibes from this teaser?

Anyway, I really like this. I'm sensing that S is going to be portrayed as the lonely outsider, who wants to change the world, but won't really notice when he receives his praises for being the second coming.

So, this is pretty much how I imagine the man of steel:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llkw90A8jn1qi5f0w.gif

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Goofguy said:
Kind of off putting to hear LotR music being played in the teaser. While it worked for the trailer, they could have at least used something new.
Exactly, all I'm thinking about is Gandalf dying while I watch this thing.

Give them a moment for pity's sake!
By nightfall these hills will be swarming with orcs!

Didn't work for me.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Jack the Potato said:
Twilight_guy said:
What the heck is this sad little drama thing? Oh wait, there's a guy flying... is this like that one movie with the loser kids with mental powers... wait, this is a superman movie? The hell... That's not how you advertise a superman movie!

Seriously, A good superman trailer shows him saving some poor smuck and being super-heroic not shows us a bunch of meaningless stuff and tries to be sad before one second of superman flying and do jack shit. I am not impressed.
Because... Superman can't be dramatic? Is that what you're saying? Do you still watch the Superfriends or something? Because Superman has changed a lot as a character since oh, say, 1960!
If I want a dramatic hero I'll get Batman. Superman is a more optimistic hero and I hate it when people try to make him look like the emo kid. There is this idiotic notion now-a-days that every hero has to be dark and broody and tragic and that's not superman. I have no idea what this movie is going to be like but I'm certainly not going to be happy with it if they rip off the aesthetic and atmosphere of the latest batman movie because its 'dark' and 'edgy'.