Poll: So what do you call an Xbox One now?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
When the name first came out, we were all convinced it was stupid and it wasn't going to work. But then we said that about the Wii and yet no-ones got a problem saying it now. I bet a few people forgot that it was ever controversial. Is the Xbox One in a similar circumstance?

For me it hasn't worked. I still can't call something the 'One' without feeling like a prick. Xbone hasn't stuck either because it's just as bad and it's even ruined the name of the Original Xbox, because well, I have to call it the Original Xbox in case someone thinks I mean the X1 by 'Xbox'.

So I'm staying with the incredibly mouthy and awkward 'Xbox One'. Luckily saying 'Xbox One' is exactly as stilted and lifeless as those people in the advertisements look when they use Kinect. So it fits.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I refer to it as the Xbone (x-BONE). Yes, it is mostly a pun and not really a proper name for it but so far none of my friends have gotten one or is even remotely interested in doing so, so I don't bother too much with it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
"Ex box wun"

The "XBone" thing was funny for a while, but it got old. Now it's like spelling Microsoft "Micro$oft".

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
I'm still typing it Xbone because it's a portmanteau of Xbox One. Easier than writing xbox one and not as likely to cause confusion as XB1/X1.

I call it Xbox One or the new Xbox out loud though.

Zhukov said:
"Ex box wun"

The "XBone" thing was funny for a while, but it got old. Now it's like spelling Microsoft "Micro$oft".
On second thoughts maybe I'll just avoid talking about it so I won't have to worry about people judging me for using a lame name...

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Xbox 720

When saying Xbox One at first thought about the original Xbox. Any version of the Xbox being called the Xbox. I've used Xbox 720 and everyone knows I'm talking about the latest one. Voted Other.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
I'd love to just be able to refer to it as 'Computer' like they did in star trek. Just have the kenect respond to that and then materialize an earl grey tea and a decent shooter. Sadly it cannot manifest either of those at the moment. So I call it 'bad investment'...

More realistically I'll probably call mine the 'one.' or something stupid once i cave in and get it.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I still just call it the Xbone. The name makes it sound like something stupid which the Xbox one is. I just can't call it the Xbox one and Xbone stuck with me since I first heard it.

They would have been better off calling it the Xbox 720.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
In writing I call it Xbone, because it's quick, easy and just about everyone will understand it. Sure, it has some negative connotation to it, but can't have everything.

When talking I just call it the new Xbox, because I really don't like the way Xbox One sounds. It's awkward and doesn't flow nicely.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I had called it the Xbone at the beginning like everyone else until I had myself a little epiphany when talking with another Escapist gent:

Those tiny little passive-aggressive shots that gamers take against each other is one of the worst parts of the gaming world (yes, the entire world; I put gamers tearing each other down on par with EA and Sexism and Raplay and "Name your favorite gaming punching bag here". It's always so annoying to me when some ignorant ass talks about "Spunk Gargle Wee Wee" and "Roster Updates" when referring to games that they don't like. It always seemed so childish to me as someone who enjoys those games. So why was I any different calling the Xbox One the "Xbone"?

So with that said (let me climb down from my soap box...), I call it the Xbox One.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I use the name Xbox One, because that's what the damn thing is called. None of that Xbone BS. Xbone was mildly funny at first, but it stopped being funny when every person everywhere started calling it that.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It'll always be Xbone to me. It's a nice way of remembering all the fiasco the PR people would like us to forget. Though I just write it down, it doesn't come up in conversation at all.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
I call it the Xbone, but not in a negative or positive way. It just flows better, even in conversation. Or I'll just call in the new Xbox.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
XB1 may work in the future. Just easier to write and I'm trying to avoid the negative connotations Xbone has. MS has been spanked enough.

And I'm the type of guy that can carefully list out a dozen reasons why you should not get/do a thing, and then do it anyway. I could give you a dozen reasons not to get an XB1, but I have a feeling there is one in my future.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I call it the "XBone" because penis jokes are the height of sophistication.

In a similar throbbing vein, I like to call Sony's console the "PeniS 4skin" and Nintendo's the "WiillyU".

I also call Xbox Live "SexCocks Live" and PSN "Foreplaystation Sexwork", because it's witty and sophisticated sex references like this that set gaming above other, more lowbrow forms of entertainment.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
XBone still but because its quicker than typing Xbox One. Yea, it's not funny anymore and I could call it XB1 if you prefer but I never see anyone call it that.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I call it the Xbox One, because at this point the term "Xbone" seems rather petty and just a bit childish.

I think the world has enough hate in it, the least we can do is call the new Xbox by its proper name and grow up just a little bit.