Poll: So what do you call an Xbox One now?

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
XBone. Also XCrap. Yeah, I hate Microsoft because they hate PC gaming and because they hate gamers.

DBLT4P

Jul 23, 2011
I love how none of the options are "The One." The name they were hoping you would call it.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I've started calling it the Xbox One. "Xbone" seems a little petty at this point, considering they got rid of most of what made gamers give it the name in the first place. "Xbox" would cause confusion with the original. "X1" would reference too many products to be clear. And calling it "The One" is just stupid, and it makes it sound much better than it actually is.

Overall, the naming just doesn't lend itself to an easy abbreviation. Maybe if "XB1" catches on I'll start to using that. Until then, I have to type out the full name ever time.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I still call it the Xbone, mostly because it rolls of the tongue faster than "Xbox One". I honestly sometimes forget that it isn't the official name of the console.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Z of the Na said:
I call it the Xbox One, because at this point the term "Xbone" seems rather petty and just a bit childish.

I think the world has enough hate in it, the least we can do is call the new Xbox by its proper name and grow up just a little bit.
I always thought it was funnier than hateful. Nobody's hurting their feelings man. It's a multinational corporation and the world's largest software maker, they're not The Little Boy That Could.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah, I still call it the Xbone when typing it out, not out of hatred or anything, but just because that's my preferred method of shortening it so I don't have to type Xbox One constantly, like how I use PS4 instead of playstation in most messages, if it's a formal conversation, or I'm trying to be absolutely clear, I'll type out the full name.

In speech, it's mostly just called the Xbox, I tend to call the previous gen the 360, so most people know what I'm talking about in context, same with the Playstations, I'll just call it a PS4 in casual conversation.

Even without the whole kerfuffle with the Xbox's original flubbed announcement, I still think the XBone moniker works in casual conversation, and doesn't necessarily have to be looked at as derogatory.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Still Xbone. I don't hate it, but the name stuck and I'm not really worried about hurting the Xbone's feelings.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
It's an Xbone. It will always be an Xbone. Now and until the end of time.
This.

From the day of its reveal, it was called the Xbone. "Xbox One" is one of the worst console names to ever come along, and feels utterly disconnected from today's market. It simply doesn't feel natural to say it. Xbone, however, is a natural contraction of "Xbox One". It's easy to type, rolls of the tongue, and befits a console that tried to screw every gamer on the planet. The Xbone is the Xbone. It is what it is, and will always be.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
mistahzig1 said:
I like Xbone as a name, regardless of how haters use that word to well, hate.
This. If the launch hadn't been so disastrous, somebody would have come up with that name anyway, and it would have been an affectionate nickname by now.

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
I still call it the XBone, I still think Wii is a stupid name, and WiiU is even stupider (though I do love both consoles.)

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
There was a period when everyone was calling it the Xbox One Eighty. That really appealed to my sense of humour somehow (Don't think I'm having a go at Microsoft particularly, I just enjoyed the wordplay). I'm really disappointed the sneerers (and indeed some non-sneerers) have settled on Xbone. At the moment its just "the new Xbox to me". I'm sure it'll soon become just "the Xbox".

(And I don't think XBox One is a name that's going to get any less terrible as the years go by)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
XBONE

It's an excellent portmanteau of XBox ONE and it easily differentiates it from both the 360 and the original Xbox (the 'proper' Xbox 1).

Ultimately Microsoft have no one to blame but themselves for that, I bet it was getting called XBONE within Microsoft's own internal staff before even the official release. They should have been smarter and stuck with a simple numeric system instead some flashy marketing centric name, it has never hurt Sony to simply name each console Playstation with the appropriate generation number attached to it.

Xbox 720 or Xbox 3 must be banned phrases at Microsoft now, or maybe the name was Don Mattrick's parting gift.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
I call it the XBONE. Always have, always will.

Not out of disrespect (though that is NOT to say that I actually respect the silly thing), not because it's quicker, not because I think its funny.

Only out of necessity.

Yeah. We do need a simple and effective way of telling the new, fancy Xbox One apart from the ACTUAL (2001) Xbox One!

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, I'm with the "still calling it Xbone" crowd. Less because I dislike it, more because I have the sense of humor of a badly concussed thirteen-year-old.

Alternatively, I could call it "That big frickin' monolith from 2001," because next-gen consoles may as well be that to me. Seriously, I've never been up to date on my gaming tech. I first got a PS3 like a week before the Xbone and PS4 were announced, and I'm still rockin' the classic X-Box.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
X1 because it rolls off the tongue easy when speaking and the shortest version to type.

Xbone feels odd to say out loud.