Poll: So what do you call it: Soft Drink, Pop, Soda, Soda Pop?

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Pepsi, Coke, Doctor Pepper, 7Up, etc.

We love them, we hate them, we drink them in quantities far larger than we probably should.

So what, escapist, do you call these drinks?

Where I live, in the frozen wastelands of Manitoba, is either "soft drink" or "pop".

So how about you guys? =D
For funsies, also include where you are, I'm faaiiirly certain there are regional similarities to what something is called. Call it mild curiosity.

Now let the language wars commence! *gong clash*

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I know those crazies in Wisconsin call it Soda but us true 'Mericans call it POP!

It's pop! By calling it anything else, you're letting the terrorists win!

Don't let the terrorists win; call pop by it's rightful name

*[sub]Minnesota here. Also, go Vikings[/sub]

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
wow...im actually surprised pop has the majority (so far). Yea, i call it pop, but even in my state (New York) there is a bitter debate surrounding this issue. In fact, at my college if you want to start a fight anywhere on campus start a pop vs soda debate. Also saying White Sox or Red Soxs suck will also cause a fistfight (and if you say they both suck you just commited suicide).

In the south, they seem to alternate between soda and cola. Hawaii seems to call it Cola as well.

I thought "pop" was just a random regions in the North.

EDIT: looked it up for those interested in how the US breaks down in terms of soda vs pop vs coke. Also apparently its coke, not cola like i thought. Southern Slang must have confused me.

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
It's Soda I'm from New England and we call it soda, everywhere else is wrong its called Soda.

Additionally they're called Subs, not hoagies, not Grinders, Subs.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
I usually use the term "Soft Drink" but mostly, I just call it by the product name.

Dammit OP, now I want Dr Pepper! Maybe I can get some cans after work tomorrow...
I have two 710 mL bottles left from the six pack I bought a few days ago, ohohohoho >8U *taunts with delicious doctory goodness*

Harley Q

Oct 11, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
I call them fizzy drinks.
Usually I just say the brand name.

Oh, Ireland.
When I was in school in Ireland, I remember people calling fizzy juice "mineral" which I always thought was odd. When I lived in Scotland is was just juice.

Nowadays things are referred to by actual brand names.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I'm from Illinois, and it's always been soda for me.

Mostly due to the fact that whenever I asked my mom for a pop growing up, she'd lightly hit my arm and say "there, I popped you".

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
tippy2k2 said:
Everyone I know calls it Soda, and I live in the "True" America if Sarah Palin is to be believed. I'm not kidding she came to my home town and had a book sighing at the Wal-Mart.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
I call them fizzy drinks.
Usually I just say the brand name.

Oh, Ireland.
I posted this in another soda thread, but it always tickles my fancy when British (and apparently Irish) people refer to them as "fizzy drinks".

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
I know those crazies in Wisconsin call it Soda but us true 'Mericans call it POP!

It's pop! By calling it anything else, you're letting the terrorists win!

Don't let the terrorists win; call pop by it's rightful name

*[sub]Minnesota here. Also, go Vikings[/sub]
This man knows what's up. It's pop. Anything else is factually wrong.

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
I call it soda, or by its name, for example:

"brb going to grab a soda"

"Man, I really wish I had a Dr. Pepper right now"

Forgot to add, I'm from the US

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I'm in California. It's either soda or soft drinks. I think that's common for the West coast. New Engenders and east coast residence use pop, I think.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, my native language isn`t English, so what I call those would sound a bit weird. I guess I´d say "limonaad" or "gaseeritud jook" or something along the lines of that.
But in English, i prefer the term "soda". Not sure why, but it just feels right. Tho mostly, i just say the brand name.
And I´m from Estonia. Since you asked where i was, and all.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
I always call it soda. Seems weird to me to call anything else besides "soft drink" very now and then. And I can't seem to say pop in regards to soda without feeling a bit silly. Pop....pop....just feels weird coming out of my mouth.