Poll: So what do you call it: Soft Drink, Pop, Soda, Soda Pop?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
we call them their name. if its coca cola we call it coca cola (we never say "cola"), if its pepsi its pepsi. if one has to say in general, like on a menu section, we just call it "drinks" or "refreshments". sometimes Lemonade gets thrown around but thats for the no-name brands only.

Lithuania is the location.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Dags90 said:
Smolderin said:
I always call it soda. Seems weird to me to call anything else besides "soft drink" every now and then. And I can't seem to say pop in regards to soda without feeling a bit silly. Pop....pop....just feels weird coming out of my mouth.
You obviously didn't see the map, "pop" is almost entirely a No-Coast word, with the South referring to it as "Coke".
Ya, I don't see how that amounts to anything I said. It doesn't matter what the no-coastals call it, it still feels unbelievably weird to call it Pop.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
I usually use the term "Soft Drink" but mostly, I just call it by the product name.

Dammit OP, now I want Dr Pepper! Maybe I can get some cans after work tomorrow...
^^ Still secretly addicted to Dr. Pepper.
...Was that out loud?

I usually just call it by its brand name. When I say it generally I just call it soda or pop. Means the same thing and everyone knows what I'm talking about.

aether-x3

Jul 15, 2010
idk. I just call it juice.

Soft Drink is Silly, pop even moreso, soda I can live with and i've never heard anyone use Soda Pop in my life.

but yeah. I just call it Juice or refer to brand name

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Aussie here... Mostly brand name but 'soft drink' gets used a fair bit and for the older people 'cool drink' still gets some usage.

Asking for soda here will get you soda water (or possibly some sodium based alkali), asking for pop will get you confused looks or someone's grandfather... Mmmm yes, a refreshing glass of wrinkled old man. Asking for 'soda pop' in anything other than an american accent will get you told to fuck off, whereas asking for it in an american (or canadian, most of us can't tell the difference) accent will get you amused condescension.

captcha: vegemite

Don't you fucking stereotype me, captcha.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I use soda/pop interchangeably. West Virginia here.

QuartzQuadreant

Sep 14, 2012
I use coke as a generic umbrella term for this sort of thing. "coke" itself doesn't specify what you want; saying "coca-cola" does. That said, I don't drink it much any more anyway.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
If you call it anything besides Pop you're a goddamned COMMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, it's Pop

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I call it soda. For some reason, whenever someone calls it pop, it fills me with an unexplainable rage. When I was younger I used to call them soft drinks. I'm guessing the was the UK influence but I've lived too long in Texas now so it's soda.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
My husband calls it 'pop', and gets irritated when I call it anything else, but he can go fornicate himself - he's from Montana.

I tend to call it 'Sodee' or 'Sodee-Pop', or just by the brand name. I'm not sure where 'Sodee' or 'Sodee-Pop' comes from (if anywhere) exactly because I've never heard anyone use it besides my Dad and my Oma (from Germany), when she was alive. I think it's just something cute they came up with when my cousins and I were little, and for me, it just stuck. Not sure whether that's a good thing or bad thing, but no one seems to care either way , or at least they don't comment about it out loud.

Most people I know call it 'Soda', 'Coke' or just use the brand name when they want something specific.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
German here:
We say Cola to all that stuff, or, if we are more precise, we use the specific brand names.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Soft drinks from my corner of the world. Although we do have a soft drink called "Pop". Which tastes like... Let's just say it's not the best soda in these here parts.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
I'm from Virginia and I say soda. My dad is from the Midwest and he occasionally says pop, but more often he just goes by brand which I do as well.