Poll: So what do you call it: Soft Drink, Pop, Soda, Soda Pop?

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Quiet you! At least you can get it where you live! *sobs in corner*
It's been replaced by "Coke Vanilla" where I live, it's just not the same.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I tend to call them by whatever their brand name happens to be. More of a juice fan though I must admit.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
In my language we use the term non-alcoholic (drink),so I guess soft drink for me.In English?I dunno,I'd probab;y name it by brans,usually I'd say "Cola"

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
It is called "soda."

It has always been called "soda."

It will always be called "soda."

That is all.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Dags90 said:
Colour-Scientist said:
I call them fizzy drinks.
Usually I just say the brand name.

Oh, Ireland.
I posted this in another soda thread, but it always tickles my fancy when British (and apparently Irish) people refer to them as "fizzy drinks".

I'm fascinated by this enclave of people in Missouri who stick to their soda-using guns. And also the random counties in New Mexico who strongly endorse the "other" option. Do they speak Spanish or something? This is a good map

Anyway, I say soda but I wish I said coke.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Boggelz said:
Alberta, Canada here. Never heard anyone call it anything other than pop.
Same here. I'm from Edmonton and I've only ever heard 'pop', even from foreigners.

revjay

Everybody's dead, Dave.
Nov 19, 2007
Growing up in Iowa I called it pop, but sometime in my adult life after moving to New Orleans then Florida after Katrina I started calling them Cokes. Could be a Pepsi, Mt. Dew, Sunkist, whatever I still call it a coke. And for the record I prefer Diet Sunkist Orange and Mello Yello Zero.

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
M K Ultra said:
Snowalker said:
It's coke. If it's sprite, it's still a coke, if it's a Pepsi, its still a coke. If it's a Dr. Pepper, still a coke.

It's a coke.
Yup it's all coke.
I find this really curious, because as far as I'm aware 'coke' came about as a shortening of 'coca cola' (and here is used exclusively in that sense - to refer to the brand Coca Cola, which is never called by its full name), and seemingly refers specifically to the flavour 'cola'.

I mean, it's not like there's any rational reason for most of these names, this one just strikes me as the most curious.

Here in Australia (at least where I live, near Sydney) it's 'fizzy drinks' for kids, and 'soft drinks' for people who like to think they're not kids. Typically just referred to by brand name though.

As another Aussie explained;
Here if you ask for Soda, it'll generally be understood what you meant, but the only thing we regularly call soda is bi-carb soda (baking powder).
If you ask for soda pop, there may be some confusion, but we'll work it out.
If you ask for pop, we'll probably be very confused, because we use the term either exclusively as onomatopoeia (dear dog I spelt that right on the first attempt) or as referring to one's grandfather (typically on the father's side, but not necessarily).
The condescension and derision will definitely be there, regardless of what you call it.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Joseph Harrison said:
Additionally they're called Subs, not hoagies, not Grinders, Subs.
But subs and Hoagies are two diffident Sammitches here(Western PA)

Hogies are hot with lettuce, tomato,onions,and Italian dressing

Subs are everything else that is simply not as good

Also it's pop

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Hmmm. Soft Drink is how I'd describe it in my head, but out loud I'd just name them. Dr Pepper, Cream Soda, Irn Bru... I miss Cream Soda. Going to have to give in and spoil myself perhaps.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Colour-Scientist said:
I call them fizzy drinks.
Usually I just say the brand name.

Oh, Ireland.
IK,R?
I hate the way we say "fizzy drinks" over here. It sounds like I'm talking to a toddler. I much prefer "soda" or "pop". I try to stealthily start using those terms but I get cast out for sounding like a yank. But I generally prefer american names for things because they don't always sound like a caveman just came up with the most base description possible for an item.

[sub]I've already been lambasted for calling crisps "chips" and chips "fries"[/sub]

M K Ultra

Nov 27, 2012
Wyes said:
I find this really curious, because as far as I'm aware 'coke' came about as a shortening of 'coca cola' (and here is used exclusively in that sense - to refer to the brand Coca Cola, which is never called by its full name), and seemingly refers specifically to the flavour 'cola'.
Think of it as a genericized trademark. It's like calling a photocopy a "Xerox", or an adhesive bandage "Band-Aid".

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Almost all of the above... except for soft drink, that's just silly. What's it even mean? Harder than water, softer than beer?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
M K Ultra said:
Snowalker said:
It's coke. If it's sprite, it's still a coke, if it's a Pepsi, its still a coke. If it's a Dr. Pepper, still a coke.

It's a coke.
Yup it's all coke.
How do you order a coke if they're all called coke?

I always thought the full name was soda pop and in Michigan people shorten it to pop. Either way works for me. Fizzy drinks sound like anything carbonated, but I'd still understand that.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I call 'em soda and soft drink. Soda comes from me interacting with my fellow Americans, and soft drink happens to be a cultural thing from India. I prefer soft drink over soda as a name though.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
In Ireland we more or less call them by the brand name 99% of the time.
Otherwise we call them fizzy drinks or minerals.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Exius Xavarus said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Exius Xavarus said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
You should be addicted to Coke! No, not that Coke. No, not that Coke, either. Yes, I mean Vanilla Coke. Delicious stuff, that.
I was heartbroken when they discontinued that in Ireland...I loved it almost as much as Dr Pepper, perhaps more...damn you for making me remember it!
They've nearly discontinued it here. It's only available in 12-packs now. :{ *wishes I could get Vanilla Coke without having to buy a whole damn 12-pack*
Quiet you! At least you can get it where you live! *sobs in corner*
My God. It appears I have found a member of the strange sub-species of Homo Sapiens that actually enjoys Vanilla Coke. Fascinating!