Poll: So what do you call it: Soft Drink, Pop, Soda, Soda Pop?

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Pinkamena said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Exius Xavarus said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Exius Xavarus said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
You should be addicted to Coke! No, not that Coke. No, not that Coke, either. Yes, I mean Vanilla Coke. Delicious stuff, that.
I was heartbroken when they discontinued that in Ireland...I loved it almost as much as Dr Pepper, perhaps more...damn you for making me remember it!
They've nearly discontinued it here. It's only available in 12-packs now. :{ *wishes I could get Vanilla Coke without having to buy a whole damn 12-pack*
Quiet you! At least you can get it where you live! *sobs in corner*
My God. It appears I have found a member of the strange sub-species of Homo Sapiens that actually enjoys Vanilla Coke. Fascinating!
Vanilla... Coke? Now I want this strange thing! You guys are making it sound delicious. Very, very delicious.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
I know those crazies in Wisconsin call it Soda but us true 'Mericans call it SODA!

It's pop! By calling it anything else, you're letting the terrorists win!

Don't let the terrorists win; call pop by it's rightful name

*[sub]Minnesota here. Also, go Cowboys[/sub]
Fixed that for you

Yea call it soda like a human being not pop like a 90 man who remembers that "Pop" used to cost a nickel

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
Soda. Plain and simple, outside of TV and movies I've maybe heard someone say 'Pop' or 'Soda Pop' 8 or 9 times in my life.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I've always used the term soda.

With the occasional use of soft drink but that's usually in restaurants. Probably because that's what they call it.

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
M K Ultra said:
Wyes said:
I find this really curious, because as far as I'm aware 'coke' came about as a shortening of 'coca cola' (and here is used exclusively in that sense - to refer to the brand Coca Cola, which is never called by its full name), and seemingly refers specifically to the flavour 'cola'.
Think of it as a genericized trademark. It's like calling a photocopy a "Xerox", or an adhesive bandage "Band-Aid".
Yeah, that makes sense. Incidentally here we don't call them xeroxes (or nor do we call a tissue a kleenex), they're just photocopiers. The band-aid one we do though.

TehCookie said:
M K Ultra said:
Snowalker said:
It's coke. If it's sprite, it's still a coke, if it's a Pepsi, its still a coke. If it's a Dr. Pepper, still a coke.

It's a coke.
Yup it's all coke.
How do you order a coke if they're all called coke?
Also this.

Also a few people have mentioned being unable to buy Vanilla Coke readily... I guess this would be a good time to inform you that vanilla coke is alive and well in Australia, though I'm not a fan.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Fizzy drink for me midly surprised isnt a poll option.

I mean im scratching my head real hard trying to remember when i ever heard someone use the term "soda pop" or "pop", and coming up with nothing.

Wyes said:
Also a few people have mentioned being unable to buy Vanilla Coke readily... I guess this would be a good time to inform you that vanilla coke is alive and well in Australia, though I'm not a fan.
OMG i loved vanilla coke but havent found any in uk for ages, so just tend to put vanilla extracts into a glass of coke to replicate the taste. Anyways glad to hear its still being sold in some places.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
Fizzy drink, or more often, brand name. As you've probably sussed at this point if you've read through the thread, I'm from the UK.

It really threw me recently when I was in Americaland and you were supposed to just order a 'soda' and then get it yourself out of the machine[footnote]I don't know what the proper name for them is[/footnote] in cafes and such. Over here you get the drink first then pay for it in those kinds of places.

Trek1701a

Aug 23, 2012
As a generic term, soda. Pop is something you do to a balloon. If I'm ordering at a restaurant then I'll ask for the specific drink.

When I lived in Nashville, it was not uncommon to hear conversations go something like this at restaurants when people were ordering soda. I've always found it funny.
Wait staff: What can I get you for drinks?
Customer: Coke
Wait staff: What kind?

On a similar side note, When I was in NYC (original hometown), I had some business guests from Nashville come up and we went to lunch. And they ordered Sweet Tea. In NYC at the time, don't know if has changed since, it has been like 15 years or so, if you ordered just tea, you would get hot tea, but in the south if you ordered tea you would get iced tea.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
My great pet peeve in life is when I ask for a soda having someone commenting on the fact I said soda, or pop, or soda-pop. I just want to punch those people, they're worse the internet apostrophe do-gooders. I suppose I have a nice life.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Läsk

lolololololImnotenglishspeakingsoIdonthavetocarelololiololololololol

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
The word in my language that resembles the English word "Lemonade"
So yeah, option in poll = Other

micahrp

Nov 5, 2011
Wisconsin, always soda. Bicarbonate of soda, which is not how the water is professionally carbonated, but it's what we did as kids. Unless it is the formal brand name of "Red Pop" then you can call it pop. Cola is fine if it has a caramel color added drink.

Is Soda Bread called Pop Bread elsewhere?

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
I live in the heartland of pop country, but I say soda most of the time. As a word, pop seems terribly basic; soda is a little more sophisticated, as I reckon things.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Usually by the brand name.
When I was younger, all carbonated beverages were thrown into the blanket heading of 'pop,' but as I got older, I grew out of that. 'Pop' is what most people around here (born and bred Ontario boy) use when they're referring to them in the general sense, though. Brand names for me, though.

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
I'm from Ohio. Here it's pretty much only pop. Had a debate with a friend from New Jersey that insisted it should be called soda instead and got rather upset that I continued to call it pop.
Here most people call it pop but you're not really going to turn any heads if you call it soda instead.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
I've always been unsure which word to use. I'm Swedish, so don't blame me for it. I tend to just say the brand.

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
I call it by the brand name.

Why? 'Cause if you don't, and then get some third-party knockoff made in the boonies somewhere in Germany, you can't complain. It's all about being specific here in Norway.