Poll: So what do you call it: Soft Drink, Pop, Soda, Soda Pop?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Soft Drink, cola, soda.

Yes, we call it cola even if it's not cola.

Soda mostly, though. Unless it's not soda, but sometimes even then (see cola).

We are a complex and robust people.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
Not many people seem to call it what I call it....which is Cola. I guess just the terms Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, I got used to calling all Soda type drinks are known as Cola.

I sometimes refer to them as Soda Pop, Soda or sometimes Pop also. But usually Cola or by Brand. Like if I am at someones place and they offer me a drink, I may say "Do you have any Cola?". Although I don't really drink much cola anymore, I tend to stick to water.

I also call it Coke, but Coke refers to Coca-Cola and only that for me. Coke is my favorite cola, but I like pepsi and root beer also. That is pretty much the only cola's I like.

I have never liked the term "Soft Drink" because it feels so sugary and gassy, which to me is the opposite of soft. I know it is suppose to be the opposite of alchohol, I just never use the term Soft Drink.

I live in Canada, Toronto.

Trek1701a said:
As a generic term, soda. Pop is something you do to a balloon.
Pop is how I sometimes feel if I drink too much Cola! haha

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
It's all coke. I remember the first time I left the south and went to Tennessee (There's a joke in there somewhere) and had all this difficulty explaining to my relatives that all carbonated beverages are coke. Pop just sounds so...wrong.

I'm a little annoyed that Coke wasn't an option on the poll.

ShadowTrooper-A-E

Aug 20, 2012
Around here in michigan we call it pop for the most part though soda is occasionally used ....Now you made me crave dr.pepper good thing i got a 2 liter today Yay!

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Fizzy Drinks, or Pop, I have never used the word Soda to describe them, I thought that was an american thing.

Aug 1, 2010
I'm incredibly British, so I call them by their TRUE name.

Fizzy Bizzy Brown Pop Sodaly Bodaly Tea In A Bobby Bottle.

Silly colonists changing the names of things.

wottabout

May 4, 2011
I'm from the eastern US, and I call it soda. I don't really think about it, and I have never heard anyone argue about it except for online. I think most of the people I know call it soda, but I don't pay attention so I can't be sure.

I think I only see them called "soft drinks" when I'm reading a restaurant menu.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
England here

I tend to call it by name (Coke/Lemonade/Dr P)
but mainly I just call it crap cause it's awful, awful stuff!

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Ljs1121 said:
I'm from Illinois, and it's always been soda for me.

Mostly due to the fact that whenever I asked my mom for a pop growing up, she'd lightly hit my arm and say "there, I popped you".
yeah, i just grew up with my parents calling it soda, and so i did too. Also an Illinois resident here, the cool part of Illinois, but not the dangerous part of the cool part. I live a couple miles away from the lake.

Sande45

Mar 28, 2011
Soft drink, I guess. The rest are just plain wrong. Pop is popular music and soda is sodium carbonate.

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
Dags90 said:
Colour-Scientist said:
I call them fizzy drinks.
Usually I just say the brand name.

Oh, Ireland.
I posted this in another soda thread, but it always tickles my fancy when British (and apparently Irish) people refer to them as "fizzy drinks".

Reporting from a 'coke' part of that North Carolina map, and I call it soda. Screw the Majority![footnote]I am perfectly aware that it is a survey. I hope everyone knows I'm joking.[/footnote] But in seriousness, my friends and I tend to call a drink by its name.

risue

Apr 3, 2010
I'm from the south.. its "coke" there is no other word for it. here, our sinks have hot water, cold water, and coke. Pepsi? yeah that's called coke too, just the "other coke" that doesn't taste right.

Slitzkin

Jul 3, 2011
Being from the most glorious Commonwealth of Australia I call them "SOFT DRINKS".

God Save The Queen, etc.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
bluerocker said:
Reporting from a 'coke' part of that North Carolina map, and I call it soda. Screw the Majority![footnote]I am perfectly aware that it is a survey. I hope everyone knows I'm joking.[/footnote] But in seriousness, my friends and I tend to call a drink by its name.
To be fair, the map is a bit dated. North Carolina has only received more Northeast transplants since 2003, only a few of the counties are in the 80-100% range to begin with even in 2003.

It's funny how St. Louis is distinctly a "soda" region. Fits in with my experiences there.