Poll: So you're trick-or-treating and...morality!

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
A few if it's early, but if trick or treating is almost over or past I'd take half.

Bonus: I was Steve Irwin. He was my idol as a kid, and many tears were shed when he died.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Hahaha, I wish I could just BS through this hypothetical situation like all the others on the Escapist, but this totally happened all the time when I was little. I always took two fistfuls XD

...I'm not completely heartless. I wouldn't take everything xD

As for what I was dressed as? Can't really remember most of them. They were usually some stupid monster name I made up because all I had were two generic monster masks (one was a skeleton and the other was a red hood with a faceless see through black front).

I was never very creative with costumes. I was just concerned with cool looking masks :)

QuartzQuadreant

Sep 14, 2012
I always leave an empty bowl outside with a piece of paper saying 'take one' so people will think some greedy bastard took them all. Saves me at least a tenner.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Tuftytufts said:
I always leave an empty bowl outside with a piece of paper saying 'take one' so people will think some greedy bastard took them all. Saves me at least a tenner.
Wow... now THAT'S evil. XD

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I always took what was personally handed to me.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
DugMachine said:
see if I can swipe two. Maybe a handful if they're not really paying attention. Usually went with one though
Saulkar said:
In this scenario, there's no one else there. Just 10 year old you and a giant plastic bowl of candy. Nobody would even notice.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Dags90 said:
DugMachine said:
see if I can swipe two. Maybe a handful if they're not really paying attention. Usually went with one though
Saulkar said:
In this scenario, there's no one else there. Just 10 year old you and a giant plastic bowl of candy. Nobody would even notice.
Darn. I broke my own rule of always reading the OP before I commented.

Ok, I would take two just to be the little rebel, no more, maybe less.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I was an ass at 10, but the values my mom forced on me would have been strong enough to keep me from taking more than one piece. I probably would have taken the best one piece though. Like a king sized Snickers bar in a bucket of loose M&Ms, I totally would have grabbed that bar without a second thought.

Costume? I think the best costume I ever had was a knight. All homemade, but it was a pretty sweet suit.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I would kill the occupants and take all their stuff, sell it and buy lollies with the profit!

I have never done Halloween as I live in Australia but I would take all of it. I was a shit. Now I am charming.

CrazyDave DC

Apr 14, 2010
It would just feel wrong if I took more than one. Plus, I'd be cheating if I did that because isn't the point of trick-or-treating to canvas the neighbourhood, slowly building up the candy in your sack until you're exhausted? I, for one, will not cut corners!

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
I've actually been presented this situation IRL before when I was about 8, I knew that stealing was wrong back then so I only took one lollipop and went along my merry way in my Link costume. Had I encountered the same situation again at 10 I'd have done the same thing, this time while dressed up in my Roman Legionnaire costume.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
All the ones I likes, which isn't really all that many.
In Australia nobody understands trick or treating. D: Me and my friend went a few years ago and came back with $30 and a jar of rock candy stuff.

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
Well, I never got to participate in the enjoyment of trick-or-treating but if I was in that scenario bastard 10 year old me would've taken a fistful of candy. Not the whole thing though, or else my parents would get very suspicious about how someone just happens to hand out that much goods. (yes I really was that sly)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Never actually gone trick or treating since Halloween is quite new here (still hasn't caught on completely), but I imagine I would take a fistful.

As for costumes my mom is quite skilled at making those. The ebst one she has ever made is a bear costume so I would go with that. Scary and nice looking.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Nothing, I would take nothing, when I was a kid I pretty much didn't ask for candy, I went along with my brothers but I didn't ask, I would only take candy if the person insisted otherwise no, not because it felt wrong, I just don't like gifts, don't know why, kind of odd that I did this but at the same time I didn't have any problem stealing, but whatever.
As to what I dressed up as?
Nothing, seriously I was pretty boring when I was a kid, I never wanted to dress up as anything, though to be fair I didn't want to go out and ask for candy either, though 10-year old me may have been forced to dress up as something, don't know what though probably a crappy blanket ghost or something like that.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
NightmareWarden said:
Take a small handful. I've seen people leave a bowel of candy on a chair on the lawn on the lap of a costume. Someone tries to grab the whole bowel? SURPRISE, the costume was really an adult who just scared the crap out of you. May come with squirt guns. If I were to do this, I'd use silly string.

A bowel of candy?! D:< That is a truly disturbing thought... yet, oddly appropriate for Halloween.

This occurred, I am pretty sure I grabbed several of the ones I liked... cannot remember what I might have dressed up as... I was often a little shit who didn't bother to dress up and just went around taking candy and being a wise-ass anyway.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
When I was a kid I'd grab a huge handful if it was unguarded. >:3