Poll: Someone told me that they should turn games into tv shows instead of movies

evilgreenknight346

May 12, 2010
honestly, it would have to depend on the game. like the disgaea anime, it worked because the game played with intentions of being like an anime. the reason why i say that it depends on the game is that i fear seeing a repeat of the super mario brothers super show.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
No no no. Movies at most :p The rest should just stay games. Now movies turned into games would be fun. But it never works out.. except for Riddick and Arkham Asylum.

Erniesrubberduk

Mar 29, 2010
ethaninja said:
No no no. Movies at most :p The rest should just stay games. Now movies turned into games would be fun. But it never works out.. except for Riddick and Arkham Asylum.
Arkham Asylum wasnt really a movie that was more comic book series to game

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Erniesrubberduk said:
manythings said:
Depends on the game surely. Halo would not make a series but it could make a movie. Dragon Age could make a series though.
RPGs would seem to be the way to go with if you'd do a tv series
I dunno if that is necessarily true. A game with enough installments, eg resident evil, or even spyro could make a series. All you need to do is plan out the world in components and challenges. Pokemon is the biggest example I can think of, there might be better ones.

lodo_bear

Nov 15, 2009
Speaking as someone who liked the Mega Man show, both Sonic shows, the Super Mario show, and who even has a soft spot in my heart for the hilarious abomination known as the Legend of Zelda show (Excuuuuuse me, princess! [http://qwantz.livejournal.com/112122.html]), I think that this is a good idea and you should feel good for proposing it.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I actually like this idea. As more and more time goes by, I'm coming to the realization that I hate movies. They are never well developed, or have a deep enough story. It's all because they are so limited in their viewing time that they can either have a hollow movie, or try to shoehorn all the facts in. Neither are going to work, so you only get a rare few that actually are good because they didn't need to cram facts in. Gran Torino is one example that comes to mind.

Any sci-fi or fantasy stories are almost impossible to convey in 1.5-3 hours because of all the backstory and universe development, and I'm sick of them trying. Just make it a TV show and let us have the full story. It can be made cheaper that way too.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Erniesrubberduk said:
ethaninja said:
Yeah I ment like, the characters and such sorry. Question is, since those games were so awesome and didn't follow the storyline, why was the Avatar game so bad?

Erniesrubberduk

Mar 29, 2010
ethaninja said:
Erniesrubberduk said:
ethaninja said:
Yeah I ment like, the characters and such sorry. Question is, since those games were so awesome and didn't follow the storyline, why was the Avatar game so bad?
because the game wasnt really good? that it wasnt trying to meet a movie release and had time to work on gameplay

starhaven

Jan 24, 2010
T.V shows could work the problem with games becoming movies is that they normaly dont have enough time to put in all the content so that it is good

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Considering that many games have anime adaptations of them, and that they're often better than a lot of our video game movies (though that's not saying much), that could probably work.

If that does happen, however, I have but one request: that someone makes a high-budget Elite Beat Agents show.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Elder Scrolls. Fallout. Tropico.

Three games/series I can think of off the top of my head that would make excellent TV series.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I can see how it would work, but it would probably require a fairly high budget, and since video game movies already have a poor reputation, not many would even give the TV show a chance.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I think that they could work in just about any medium. Movies, cartoons, books, comics... Hell, they might even work as a play. But like most things, the majority will, and have been, bad, thus giving the rest a bad reputation.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I can see where your friends is coming from, as I've also had that idea. When turned into movies, things are often left out or cut short. If a given game were to become a television series, however, the producers and directors and all them could leave in (or even add) as much as they want, or as much as they feel would serve said game justice.

Possibly one of the biggest obstacles when making a movie based on a game is the time constraint. You can't have an eight-hour long film, now, can you? (Well, I suppose you could, but who's going to sit through all of it, really?)