Poll: Soul Calibur V or Final Fantasy XIII-2

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I thought I'd be the last person to make a thread like this, but there's a first time for everything I guess.

Here's the situation, I was talking with a friend at work today who is really excited for Final Fantasy being released today, I told him I was waiting for Soul Calibur to arrive in the post, and he launched into a rage about how it is dated and slow the combat is. Not knowing much about the new FF game, I said to him 'Don't you have to wait for spells to charge in FF, so it is just as slow plus once you finish the main quest is there much incentive to replay, at least with Soul Calibur there are online matches', at which point he got so angry he walked off. (Yeah he's like that)

Like I said, I don't know much about the new FF game so I might be completely off the mark. For discussion value, which game if any did you/would you buy?

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting FF 13-2 today, so that should answer your question. I've played the demo, enjoyed it so that's obviously what I'm going to pick. I might pick up SC V eventually, as while I'm not a big fan of fighting games[footnote]Only fighting games I've really enjoyed are Mortal Kombat 9 and WWE 2011, if that can be classified as a fighting game.[/footnote], I think my games collection could do with more fighting games and it seems like it could be fun in small bursts.

ImProvGamr

Feb 2, 2012
I've already got FFXIII-2, and I'm not a fighting game fan, so I won't be picking up Soulcalibur V

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Ive ordered Soul Calibur V, Soul calibur IV was the last game that me and a friend pulled an all nighter on playing matches against each other until the beer ran out or we were to drunk to press the buttons properly (cant remember which), same happened many times with Soul Calibur on the dreamcast ahhh happy memories.

I will be getting FFXIII-2 as well however but thats after The Last Story and possibly Skyrim (if its decreased in price enough).

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Unlike a lot of people I really love XIII. After I finish it (Gran Pulse is way too damn hard so it'll take a while) I'm definitely going to pick up XIII-2.
Soulcalibur V I'm not sure about. I loved 2, but I really didn't like 4 because of how lazily-done the single player campaigns felt. Apparently 5 is just as bad, if not worse, so I'm not sure if I'm going to get it.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
If I really had to choose between those two, I'd go for FF XIII-2. There are better fighting games out there. Like BlazBlue.

NorthernStar

Oct 24, 2011
Well, I got FFXIII-2, so that's my pick.

I might pick up Soul Calibur later on, but only when it's at least half price.

Maybe.

DarkDoopliss

Aug 7, 2008
I got both Soul Calibur and FFXIII-2 on launch day. Soul calibur V is absolutely incredible, much better than IV. I'm not as keen on XIII-2 right now. It seems like its going to be alot shorter (it only comes on 1 disc) and so far I'm like the original more.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Neither.

SCV is missing nearly all of the characters I actually liked in the series, and those that have returned are either in altered forms I don't like or play pretty much the same as in the version of the game I already own. The fighting engine has been dumbed down (at the devs own admission) and it's introduced features that take away from what made SC fun in the first place. Plus, it still doesn't have the quality or depth that was stripped out after SC2 and it doesn't even have a quality single player side any more which is the one thing you used to be able to count on the series for.

FFXIII-2 is supposedly better than FFXIII in many ways, but still relies on characters I don't care all that much about and revolves around a battle system that sounds absolutely terrible to me.