Poll: Spider-Man film following Miles Morales yay or nay?

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I dunno, wouldn't that mean Andrew Garfield's Spider-man would have to die first? But then again I guess you could just skip that. I mean, most adaptations of Batman skip over Jason Todd as a Robin.

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
While I like Morales, I think he needs significantly more comic time before they can consider a movie. They're only just establishing him as a character. I mean we're on what, issue 12 of his comic? They need time to give him some big establishing character moments like Parker has in terms of the death of uncle ben and gwen stacy, his reaction to the venom suit, etc... I'm not saying we have to wait until he gets to the "Amazing Spider-man" comics level (mid 600s of issues iirc) but give the dude some time to at least get some unique villains.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Yeah, but they better change the fuck out Miles' Personality and age. He is SO FUCKING ANNOYING. I'd love to see a black superhero get a decent movie, and currently Miles' is one of the only that could be introduced into his own franchise (Maybe Nick Fury, but He's pretty tied to avengers, and Maaybe Batwing, but he comes after the fifth robin and can't just be introduced immediatly.)

I am in favour of this if they make Miles 16 years old and less irritating as he is in the comics.

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
CODE-D said:
I want a asian spiderman.
I'm pretty sure there is a Korean Spider-Man i the Ultimate universe, don't know much about him though.

SpectacularWebHead said:
I'd love to see a black superhero get a decent movie
What? Blade 1&2 (and 3 if you're drunk and into WWE/Ryan Reynolds) don't count? :p

Timnoldzim

May 19, 2012
Donald Glover would make a great Spider-Man, and having ANY black superhero being in a major movie would be awesome and long overdue. I'm completely unfamiliar with Miles, but he seems to have been well-received my fans, so the character seems to work. Maybe they should have an animated series starring him first, so the general public isn't immediately all like "Who's this loser?"

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Rossco64 said:
CODE-D said:
I want a asian spiderman.
I'm pretty sure there is a Korean Spider-Man i the Ultimate universe, don't know much about him though.

SpectacularWebHead said:
I'd love to see a black superhero get a decent movie
What? Blade 1&2 (and 3 if you're drunk and into WWE/Ryan Reynolds) don't count? :p
Ehh, Didn't like those... I dunno, as a character I can't get into blade unless he's with teamed up with other superheroes. I take that view on every MARVEL character that isn't either deadpool or spiderman.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Donald Glover has said he wants to be Spider Man saying something along the lines of:
"When you think of a poor kid from Queens who life is always shitting on, you don't think white."

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I like the Ultimate Spider-Man comic but the issue for me is that at the moment Miles is interchangeable with Peter.

You could swap one character into the other and the stories would be no different. Miles needs to grow into his own character because at the moment he reads like the black Peter Parker and I want him to be more than that.

Marvel also doesn't seem to be putting much into Miles. They have an Ultimate Spider-Man TV series starring Peter Parker and a spin-off comic from the show called "Ultimate Spider-Man Adventures".

Also being published at the moment is "Spider-Men" where the Peter Parker from 616 is meeting Miles Morales in the Ultimate Universe. It's like they are forcing comparisons between the two.

I fear for the future of Miles Morales. With Marvel continually wanting to ape the movies based off their characters, how long is it going to be before someone on the Ultimate Universe has the idea to bring Peter back.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Jiggy said:
Yeah, he means that it is common sense that you do not substitute a character that people know with a new one that nobody has ever heard of.
Then he should have said that. Words mean things, and I dislike his attempt to pass off his subjective preference as objective fact by using hyperbolic language. I'm not real pleased with your assertion of "common sense," either, just because it's my experience that people who use it do so as some kind of appeal to an authority that doesn't exist but whose use gives the illusion of weight of numbers backing up the position.

Jiggy said:
So while I assume you wrote that post just to be a smartass, I hope you now see the stupidity of doing so.
No, when I'm writing to be a smartass, I do so with the intention of getting a laugh out of people. That post was written to express brittle exasperation.

Jiggy said:
People will call bullshit if they go watch a Spider-Man movie and Spider-Man is suddenly a black kid named Miles.
And the instant people do that, they are refusing to judge the movie based on the quality of the story it tells and are judging it based on the race of the lead actor. There is a word for that, and while producers are perfectly happy to cater to that lowest of human reflexes, I am not. If Miles Morales is written well, if the movie surrounding him is written well, if the lead actor can play the part and if the director knows what he's doing, then that is a movie I want to see. I refuse to let anyone sell a movie to me based on the lead actor's genetic heritage, and I certainly won't sit here and argue that the attitude should be encouraged.

Semitendon

Aug 4, 2009
No. no. no. no.

First, I'd like to see a truely awesome version of the "real" Spiderman in the theaters before we go plugging in politically correct versions.

Second, it's a politically correct version of Peter Parker, ( in the words of several posters already- "it's Peter Parker but a different race" ) which means it's bullshit pandering instead of an actual attempt to add a different character.

Third, if we have to use another Spider hero, I'd rather see Spider-girl ( the MC2 version) or Spiderman 2099 ( which incidently, is also biracial, but is a completely different character and setting)

Fourth, and most importantly, Peter Parker as Spiderman is an icon of Americana, the original teen hero, and has fifty plus years of history. He should not be tossed aside.

People might say, "you're just objecting to it because of the character's race", but they are missing the point. The point is that history, status, the original character, sentimental value, story, and familiarity are all being tossed out, just because of politcally motivated racial change to a character.

So, yeah, if that means I have to object to a change in a classic character because of race. I'll object all fucking day long.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Meh, sure, why not?
It's a bit early though, don't you think?

I like the idea of the role as Spider-man passing from Peter to Miles better than the original being killed off though.
It's just that the whole idea of an aging super hero who might occasionally don his suit and help in a crisis appeals to me.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Nay!
My own dislike of the Ultimate Universe aside, it just doesn't seem right to have a movie based on Spider-Man who's not Peter Parker. When you think of the character Spider-Man people are going to think of Peter Parker and not Miles Morales who has only taken the mantle quite recently and from what I've read in this post has no defining differences from Peter so far other than skin color. Peter Parker has been known as Spider-Man for far longer than Miles Morales and people are going to be more familiar with the stories surrounding him. By throwing in a different character who most people may not know about you're going to end up with a confused audience.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
Donald Glover for Spiderman

and Michael Sera as shaft while we're at it.

I am being 100% serious on both things. I WANT TO SEE THESE THINGS HAPPEN PLEASE.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Jiggy said:
He did say that; you (and only you, take note of that) just didn't pick up on that.
No, he didn't. He might have meant that--that's possible--but he did not say it.

And I don't care that I'm the only one who says this. I do not require group consensus to believe that my conclusions are correct, and I am getting very tired of your arguments saying, "You're outnumbered, so you're wrong." Truth is not decided by democratic vote.

Jiggy said:
You not understanding it points towards you being incapable of something that is common.
Oh, no, I understand it. I just don't believe it's the case here.

Jiggy said:
That, obviously, is not a good thing, I'm sure that is not how you would like to be perceived.
I don't care how I'm perceived. I have nothing at stake here; nothing you or anyone else thinks changes who I am. I'm weighing in on this because I have an opinion and I enjoy expressing it, not because I crave applause.

Jiggy said:
Yet you still look like a fool in doing so.
Heh. I will try to remember to wrap my pillow in a towel so I don't ruin it with my tears when I cry myself to sleep tonight.

Jiggy said:
I don't think brittle means what you think it means. Perhaps the word you were looking for was bitter?
No, I mean "brittle." I try to model my writing after my way of speaking, and that includes trying to match my tone of voice: For instance, right now I like to hope I'm coming off as mostly pedantic beneath a cloak of exasperation, because that's how I would sound if we were speaking. My tone during that post was intended to be brittle; to indicate that the veneer of annoyance was thin, and could easily snap to reveal genuine anger beneath it if subjected to pressure. Maybe that worked, and maybe it didn't. I'm told it takes a while to learn how to interpret me.

Jiggy said:
I said:
Jiggy said:
People will call bullshit if they go watch a Spider-Man movie and Spider-Man is suddenly a black kid named Miles.
And the instant people do that, they are refusing to judge the movie based on the quality of the story it tells and are judging it based on the race of the lead actor.
No no no no no, you dropped the ball here. I'm not even going to bother with the rest of the stuff you wrote because this has nothing to do with race. It has to do with Miles Morales, not his race.
Yet you listed his race as a factor; before you even mentioned his name, in fact. If it genuinely had nothing to do with his race, then you wouldn't have brought his race up. If you feel the need to point out he's black (and he isn't: His mother is Hispanic, but never mind, I'm willing to assume you don't know that), then either you think I have forgotten his race and need to be reminded of it, or else it is a factor to you.

Jiggy said:
Making a black Peter Parker is, by far, more likely to work than tossing in Miles Morales, whom "nobody" has heard of. That is the point.
So, your argument is that Miles Morales can't be Spider-Man not because audiences are racist, but because they're afraid of new things? That is also not an attitude I want to nurture; it's why we're still making movies based off of cartoons from the eighties instead of new bloody damned stories and characters.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Honestly the only reason I don't think they should make a live action Miles Morales movie is because he's just getting started... in Ultimate Comic fashion where it took 5 issues before he decided to be Spidey and now on issue 11 he's honestly just facing his first real threats.

He has no iconic villians yet (the only in the comic are a lame version of Scorpion and his uncle the Prowler) no iconic stories, nothing.

Right now he's just the kid with spider-powers who took over after Peter Parker died.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I think they'd need to do a lot of build-up for people to understand why there is suddenly a black Spiderman called Miles and not Peter, but if it does happen then all I'm bothered about is whether or not the film is good.