Poll: Spider-Man film following Miles Morales yay or nay?

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
So during a recent interview (can't find the source at the moment) Andrew Garfield was asked who he thinks should play Spider-Man after him. He replied someone half african, half hispanic obviously refering to Miles Morales the new Ultimate Spider-Man.

Naturally the comments section was filled with the usual internet reaction: "BOOOOOOO CHANGE!!!" But seeing these forums seem to be more open than most I thought I'd bring up the question here.

Personally I think it would be better than another reboot when the time came for Garfield to put down the mask. They wouldn't necesarily have to kill him off like in the comics, they could just do a handover like they attempted in the clone saga (plus that leaves an opening for a Spider-Men film later down the road).

Also that costume is pretty sweet

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
In terms of character traits and personality, Miles Morales is basically indistinguishable from Peter Parker anyway,* so why not let a Donald Glover-colored actor play Spider-Man? Spider-Man's melanin levels really have fuck-all to do with the character.

--

*This should not be interpreted as disparagement.

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
Having a non-white Spiderman? Sure. Miles Morales specifically? He's a little young in my opinion. I reckon a 13 year old crimefighter would probably crack or get killed. I'm surprised Peter did as well as he did in Ultimate as he was only 15/16.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I haven't had a chance to read much of Miles to be honest but I really like his powers so I think he would be fun to see in theaters based on that alone however I don't think most would go for it because they don't know of him since he is so new.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Consider the mess they did with Amazing Spider-man from what I read from the reviews? Yes however wouldn't they have to alter his origin abit without it being too much of the same Spiderman origin but with a black guy instead? I mean Mile Morales became Spiderman after the death of Peter or are you saying they should killed off Andrew Garfield in the next sequel for him to appear in the third film?

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Consider the mess they did with Amazing Spider-man from what I read from the reviews? Yes however wouldn't they have to alter his origin abit without it being too much of the same Spiderman origin but with a black guy instead? I mean Mile Morales became Spiderman after the death of Peter or are you saying they should killed off Andrew Garfield in the next sequel for him to appear in the third film?
I'm not saying they should kill off Garfield, because he's great as Parker I'm merely offering this as an alternative to a full reboot or "James Bonding" (same character, different actor) when the inevatable does happen and Garfield leaves the franchise as all franchise actors must do at some point. Also the orgin, I feel, could easily be tweeked especially given Oscorp's involvement in "The Amazing Spider-Man"

Aeriath said:
Having a non-white Spiderman? Sure. Miles Morales specifically? He's a little young in my opinion. I reckon a 13 year old crimefighter would probably crack or get killed. I'm surprised Peter did as well as he did in Ultimate as he was only 15/16.
His age could easily be tweeked to make him a bit older. In "Scott Pillgrim vs. the World" Scott was made younger so there were fewer years between him and Knives.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
How dare you sir! I refuse to except change like this to an established character from my youth! This is an outrage!!!
JimB said:
In terms of character traits and personality, Miles Morales is basically indistinguishable from Peter Parker anyway,* so why not let a Donald Glover-colored actor play Spider-Man? Spider-Man's melanin levels really have fuck-all to do with the character.
Wait... A Spider-Man that has a sense of humor and joviality like in the comics and cartoons? In all seriousness I think it would be fantastic if in theory if Donald Glover played Spider-Man. In the first two movies (LALALALALA third one never happened) my biggest complaint was the Spider-Man was lacking any sort of humor. There were on terrible spider based puns from the original character? there was no real sense of joviality that made me like the character while I was growing up. Plus I've got a man crush on Donald Glover from Community so this idea is made of win for me.

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
Rylot said:
How dare you sir! I refuse to except change like this to an established character from my youth! This is an outrage!!!
JimB said:
Wait... A Spider-Man that has a sense of humor and joviality like in the comics and cartoons? In all seriousness I think it would be fantastic if in theory if Donald Glover played Spider-Man. In the first two movies (LALALALALA third one never happened) my biggest complaint was the Spider-Man was lacking any sort of humor. There were on terrible spider based puns from the original character? there was no real sense of joviality that made me like the character while I was growing up. Plus I've got a man crush on Donald Glover from Community so this idea is made of win for me.
If Spidey's lack of quips got you down you might actually enjoy "The Amazing Spider-Man" They really nailed that character trait down this time round. Plus he also fights like an actual spider.

On another note wasn't there a petition to get Glover an audition for Spider-Man in "The Amazing Spider-Man"?

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I don't know anything about the character beyond the physically obvious. So from that point of view I have no real problem with it myself. However I think that the best way to handle it would be "in series.". In other words don't just drop Miles Morales: Spider-Man on the unknowing public and expect them to accept it sight unseen. Introduce the character along side Peter Parker, integrate him into the story and then do the trade off.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Cool.

Could be cool.

I'm totally fine with it, it would be pretty awsome to see a biracial hero swing from building to building

Captcha: heart's content

Man that thing is really starting to scare me.

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
Diddy_Mao said:
However I think that the best way to handle it would be "in series.". In other words don't just drop Miles Morales: Spider-Man on the unknowing public and expect them to accept it sight unseen. Introduce the character along side Peter Parker, integrate him into the story and then do the trade off.
I agree that that would be the best way to do it, and I think that might be how they did it in the comics (not sure haven't got that far yet).

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Spider-man is a costume and that is it. It does not matter if the person wearing it is Peter Parker or Miles Morales. In the Ultimate Universe, Spider-man is a legacy character. After Parker died, a different person took up the mantle of Spider-Man.

Miles is no different than Jaime Reyes, Ted Kord, or Night Owl 2.

Sorry, but your childhood memories are not precious.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
It isn't a race thing but... no.

Look, I don't care if the person they choose to play Peter Parker is black/white/spanish/albino/indian/gay/female but the fact is anyone that gets that role has to portray a version of PETER PARKER.

The race doesn't matter, the CHARACTER matters. It be like someone other than Bruce Wayne being under Batman's cowl. They're exterior bullshit don't matter it's whats on the inside that counts.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I say yay.

I originally disliked the highschool Peter Parker of Ultimate Spider-Man and was annoyed that they decided to make Miles a school kid as well. But after seeing how well The Amazing Spider-Man handled the highschool aspect, I'm confident they could do it with maturity.

Now everyone go watch this Black Nerd Rant [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUziaJzmnO4] from way back when.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
The fact is anyone that gets that role has to portray a version of Peter Parker.
You and I mean different things when we use the word "fact."

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
I'm gonna have to go with no. For spider-man has always been always been Peter Parker. Similar to how Eddie Brock will always be the real Venom to me.