Poll: Split screen, screen watching. Skill or cheating?

mrbonzai211

Mar 30, 2009
I traveled back to my hometown and played my best friend in MOW2. I'm pretty good at FPS and I would normally be more than a match for him but he plays so much he knows every map like the back of his hand and I have never played this version of the game before. The result was that he would locate me whenever I spawned in and would used it to ambush me with GREAT success. Of course we got in a heated argument which I need your opinion to help settle.

FYI, he's also the friend who would ONLY play as Oddjob even if you called a no Oddjob game beforehand.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I crucify friends who are found screen cheating. I then vivisect them and hang both their flayed skin and internal organs on my mailbox, so as to inform any of my other friends the consequences of doing such an act.

Nihilix

Mar 18, 2010
Personally i don't care if you screen watch or not but as a general rule I'm against it.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I've used it both ways
my friends get pissed at me so one time I played only screen watching
covered my side of the TV with post it notes so if i really stared i could kinda see what was there but i had to make due with mostly screen watching
but of course it only benefits the player with the most map knowledge

mrbonzai211

Mar 30, 2009
"This will be one of the most one-sided Poll in escapist history!

You are making history, Comrade MrBonzai211!"

6 to 7... not as lopsided as you thought ExplosionProofTaco... I expected surprising results... lets see how it pans out

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
It depends on your opponent. If he is a known screen peeker and a superb player, by all means sink down to his level. If you are facing a novice or someone who violently complains about screen peeking, stick to your own side.

Personally I think it is a valid tactic as you are sharing the same screen and your eyes will inevitably stray to the right or the left during gameplay. I only screen peek against certain friends though.

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
Deofuta said:
I crucify friends who are found screen cheating. I then vivisect them and hang both their flayed skin and internal organs on my mailbox, so as to inform any of my other friends the consequences of doing such an act.
This.
Except without all the, you know, gore.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
When battling each other it's extremely cheap to look at the other guys screen. In co-op however it is a great way to scout what is beside/behind you without looking.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Honestly, I have trouble NOT looking at other screens, especially if I'm hiding or sniping (aka. not really doing anything while everyone else is running around). Everyone playing in split screen has the same intelligence, so nobody has any advantage. All it does is encourage active play styles, more creative hiding for sniping and sneaky tactics, and discourages ambushing, camping, and clocking. How is that cheating?

Unless you're playing a turn-based simulation (pokemon, card games, whatever) or Madden (or any American football game). Knowing your opponent's cards/moves/plays is cheating and downright rude.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
It's inevitable and not cheating IMO. Sure, I try and not do it, but I don't consider it cheating (yes, even if you're camping, sniping or hiding or what have you). Fighting games let you see your opponent the whole time, you see what they do and anticipate things by their actions. Sure, it's a little different in a shooter, but that's what you sign up for being split screen. That's why I love LANing. One team goes on one TV, one on the other. Then screen peeking isn't to know where your opponents are, but where your allies are.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I try not to look. It's impossible not to look at all, but I try not to. The important thing is that you and your friend are both having fun.. If you can't have fun with the game due to sucking (being inexperienced is a perfectly valid excuse for sucking), then yeah, screen peek, it won't help you TOO much if you are inexperienced anyway.

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
It depends on who and what you're playing. If there is a large gap in skill levels, it can have a bit of an equalizing influence.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
There is no way to avoid split screen screen looking, so you might as well embrace it, since it usually winds up having each player calling the game a sham because he/she accuses the other player of screen looking.

I really hate screen looking accusations and the damage it does to the enjoyability of a game rather than screen looking itself.

mrbonzai211

Mar 30, 2009
It's fine if both players are similar in skill but would you really do it the entire time from spawn to death to someone who is just playing the game for the first time?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
mrbonzai211 said:
It's fine if both players are similar in skill but would you really do it the entire time from spawn to death to someone who is just playing the game for the first time?
I like you. Thats pretty much my sentiments on it. I've yet to actually meet someone though who was at my skill level whenever I do splitscreen so in the end, I end up trying to not look at their screen or I play a little more sloppily so they have fun too.

Sep 14, 2009
i hate it personally. i force my eyes to NOT Look on that side at all, just to be fair, but if i know he is doing it or tries to do it sneakily, i'll be more then obliged to get the fucker right back in a dick way.