Poll: Starcraft 2 Expansion Heart Of Swarm, are you excited and do you think it will deliver?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Wait... people buy these games for their story? WoL had a pretty awful one IMO. Cutscenes are great but if that's all you care about, just watch them on youtube. I know that's what I'm gonna do. I've completely lost faith in Blizzard so I will not be purchasing this game. It really is just a cash grab.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
Absolutely, I preordered and am playing the Beta, I still suck at it, but I like it.
I love playing Wings of Liberty 2v2, or 3v3 with friends, 1v1 is fine too, but I am just not really good on my own
Plus the story goes further ^_^

13 days, I can't wait

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I will get it to see what happens but I HATE playing as Zerg. The best thing about it being released is that Blizzard can now consentrate on Legacy of the Void. Love me some Protoss.

Kyrinn

May 10, 2011
gibboss28 said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Amazed at how many people play SC2 for the story...I assumed it had long ago asserted itself as a multiplayer game first and foremost.
Yeah I'm one of them, granted the story to go with the singleplayer part of it was just gunk, the actual game play of the campaign was actually pretty cool and surprisingly quite varied. Having played it again recently I can't really think of any missions that are identical in objectives (such as build your base, destroy the other base)

May possibly pick this up, not really sure. Still got a bad taste in my mouth after Diablo tbh.

Though that said, I just watched the recent Vengeance trailer.

If ever there was a trailer that pushed me towards not buying it - this is it. Seriously what happened to you Kerrigan? You used to be a badass.
Of course, can't do a trailer without adding the frelling dubstep. Ugh.
I don't know, that trailer made me pretty excited for what's going to happen storywise. The only part I'm confused about is where we see Kerrigan in Queen of Blades form again. If she goes back to that wouldn't that make all that was done in WoL all for nothing? Then again I'm pretty sure we get a glimpse of human Kerrigan too. I just hope it turns out to be worth it and with as few asspulls as possible

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I already know, having been playing it for a while. I heard the single player part is released soon, and that's cool I guess.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Amazed at how many people play SC2 for the story...I assumed it had long ago asserted itself as a multiplayer game first and foremost.
You must remember The Escapist is a very biased sample of gamers. Here you will find many that play SC2 for the sotry and LoL for the lore.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Tanakh said:
You must remember The Escapist is a very biased sample of gamers. Here you will find many that play SC2 for the sotry and LoL for the lore.
Oh I know, I just figured there were at least a few MP/esports folks around, since that's basically the core of Starcraft's appeal and has been for over a decade. The WOL campaign was pretty much rubbish, so I'm a little shocked to see people are clamoring for more of it.

I basically view the campaign as a necessary evil to get me up to speed for MP.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
I'm mixed on Heart of the Swarm.

Multiplayer-wise, I think it's made a lot of improvements. Bnet 2.0 is now far less godawful than what we had to work with for Brood War. I love that protoss robo-tech and zerg infestors have been deemphasized somewhat. But I hate that Blizzard has not only refused to go into some of the more deep-seated issues like the clumpy pathfinding and the mechanics of mineral gathering disincentivizing expanding, but they act intentionally obtuse whenever asked about those things.

The campaign is another mixed bag. In terms of gameplay, Wings of Liberty shit all over the campaigns of vanilla SC and Brood War. They took those "turtle to 200/200 BCs/carriers/guardians" missions and they made things that were fun and dynamic. Yeah, a lot of them were just "do your regular thing (that is, build a shitload of marines) but also there's this one gimmick that makes you do it faster", but the gimmicks worked, dammit. Unfortunately, they paired that improved gameplay with inexplicably wretched dialogue, storytelling, and characters. The writing in SC1 and Brood War ranged from generic to memorable, but Wings struggled to surpass cringe-inducing.

So I shall wait and see and maybe play a bit of Brood War.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Kyrinn said:
gibboss28 said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Yeah I'm one of them, granted the story to go with the singleplayer part of it was just gunk, the actual game play of the campaign was actually pretty cool and surprisingly quite varied. Having played it again recently I can't really think of any missions that are identical in objectives (such as build your base, destroy the other base)

May possibly pick this up, not really sure. Still got a bad taste in my mouth after Diablo tbh.

Though that said, I just watched the recent Vengeance trailer.

If ever there was a trailer that pushed me towards not buying it - this is it. Seriously what happened to you Kerrigan? You used to be a badass.
Of course, can't do a trailer without adding the frelling dubstep. Ugh.
I don't know, that trailer made me pretty excited for what's going to happen storywise. The only part I'm confused about is where we see Kerrigan in Queen of Blades form again. If she goes back to that wouldn't that make all that was done in WoL all for nothing? Then again I'm pretty sure we get a glimpse of human Kerrigan too. I just hope it turns out to be worth it and with as few asspulls as possible
Speculation incomin!

Its pretty obvious from that trailer that she realizes, at some point in the story, that the Swarm is needed to fight the returned Xel'Naga. In essence, yes it does somewhat undermine the last missions on Char, but it also does add a nice bit of tragedy to the whole thing.

She regains her humanity (mostly) and has a chance to live a normal life. I assume Mengsk fucks it up first which makes her want to kill him, again, for the billionth time, then somewhere down the line either after she gets revenge or beforehand that there's more important stuff than her own personal vendetta.

Should be pretty excitin.

On topic! Totally stoked. I have a collectors edition preordered on Amazon that will arrive launch day. Only cost me an extra 4 bucks for the 2 day shippin for that which was...surprisin, but awesome. I can not wait to see what people do with those map editor improvements and new units.

Also, to the people who bring up the multiplayer. How many of you have checked out the SC2 Arcade? Tons and tons of maps on there ranging from third person shooters, to card games, to rpgs, to survival maps, to side scrolling beat-em-ups, to a really fun but strange version of bejeweled, to my favorite right now of Dodgeball. If the regular RTS stuff isn't your cup of tea you can almost always find somethin more to your likin on there.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
What stood out to me about sc2 was the soundtrack, it really made the game unique and playable to me.
Nothing about the game makes me want to play more of it, especially without more Terran music, a whole campaign of Zerg bwaaaaa zrrrrrrrr bowowow, nah.
Multiplayer doesn't interest me, story doesn't interest me, especially now that the cool cigar guy is gone.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I bought Starcraft II on release, played through the campaign then completely forgot about it. When I saw Heart of the Swarm was out the same week I have off work (use holiday entitlement or lose it!) I decided to replay WoL to see if I liked it enough to buy this and god dammit I'm gonna be buying. I just hope Blizzard manage to make the missions as varied as they did in WoL.

Gizmo1990 said:
I will get it to see what happens but I HATE playing as Zerg. The best thing about it being released is that Blizzard can now consentrate on Legacy of the Void. Love me some Protoss.
This is my only issue with it. I HATE!!! the Zerg. Never been a fan of zerg like aliens on an aesthetic level in anything and I think I tried 3 skirmishes before giving up on them.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Well, I was excited for it about a year ago when I still played SC2 on occasion and even watched some pro matches. But too many good games have come out in the meantime, and especially with my disappointment with Diablo 3 (and the corresponding drop in respect for Blizzard), I'm not looking forward to it at all. I might pick it up in 6 months or a year whenever the price comes down, or if I get really bored with whatever games I'm playing.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
Gonna get it at midnight release.. whiskey, lawn chairs, and girlfriends/wives being forced to go on timmys runs. also free stuff

kinda pissed about ultralisk charge and carriers... two funnest units taken out >.<
also kerragan still being in control of zerg even tho shes human (what im assuming), but.. who plays starcraft for the plot? xD

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Plinglebob said:
Gizmo1990 said:
This is my only issue with it. I HATE!!! the Zerg. Never been a fan of zerg like aliens on an aesthetic level in anything and I think I tried 3 skirmishes before giving up on them.
I 3rd the hate seeing as how I'm more a fan of metallic units and Alien typed that aren't a complete monster like Zerg which is also why I don't ever play as the Scrin on C&C 3 and Kane's Wrath.

Protoss and Terran all the way and I'm probably not going to pre order it but then again my £500 reabte says otherwise.

Shirastro

Sep 1, 2010
WoL was shit both story wise and especially single player campaign wise (and i don't care about MP)

But OFC if there is something Blizzard can do well it`s the cut-scenes and this one got me all pumped up so i`l just probably end up getting it.

Hubbl3

Jul 18, 2012
harrisonmcgiggins said:
This game STILL isnt out yet???!!!

Im sorry, but im not paying full price for a Expansion to a game that came out almost 4 years ago, especially now that my PC is a beast and can handle current graphics games. Storyline of WoL was too quick and only took me two days anyways. Plus the game was made to run on computers from almost 4 years ago.

Ill wait another thirty years when I can pick up this and the protoss in the bargin bin.
08/2010 is not even 3 years ago. But alright.