Poll: Start a family! Who wants children?

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
Stasisesque said:
I never want kids, and I am rapidly approaching an age where I probably should start thinking about having some if I wanted them, therefore I am very unlikely to change my mind about this.
I've never wanted them either, and now I'm past the point where I should have had them if I'd wanted them (in perimenopause). I don't have any regrets about choosing not to have kids-- indeed, I shudder at how badly fucked up they'd be if we'd had them. We're just not really parent material.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I'd like to someday settle down, get married, and raise a boy and a girl. Two kids is enough and anymore is trouble, believe me.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I don't know, I get told by a lot of people that I'd probably be an awesome parent but I honestly don't think I'd have the energy for it. I'm 26 and I'm completely wiped out from work every day. The one (and sometimes lucky two) days I get off a week I'm pretty much crashed out in bed sleeping half the day. I just don't see me being able to juggle a significant other or even a kid. Plus having a kid really seems like a huge commitment, I'm still in the point of my life where things are still about what I want to do, it seems like with having a kid you kind of have to put that aside, and I just feel by the time they're on their own I'd be too old to enjoy the "me" stuff.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Polarity27 said:
I've never wanted them either, and now I'm past the point where I should have had them if I'd wanted them (in perimenopause). I don't have any regrets about choosing not to have kids-- indeed, I shudder at how badly fucked up they'd be if we'd had them. We're just not really parent material.
big mistake...you'll reget it one day

kidding

it pisses me off when peopel say "you'll regret it" in regards to kids..I know its naive to think my mind will never change but for fucks sake don't give your "life advice" you condecending twat (not you obviouly)

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I'm right there with you on being 26 and wiped, Rednog. I probably won't be sleeping til I've been awake for 48 hours.

That said, I'd happily start a family with one of these 3 female friends of mine. It just took the right combination of adorable little girls in Germany to punch me straight in the feels and make me go "okay, we could totally have one of those together, and she would be glorious."

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Hell no.
Not that I'm irresponsible, or stupid, I am just opposed to the idea of having kids.
Perhaps, one day, if the right lady requests it, I could adopt.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
One day I'd like a son, and I'm the last male in the family so I suppose I have a responsibility there, but my rule is no kids till I'm at least 30 and have a stable job and home. I prefer being the irresponsible "uncle" to my friends kid anyway, you get to do all the fun shit without the responsible side of things stressing you out. Plus I get to act all childish again.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I'd like some kids one day. But I'm currently 23, and single....so need to work on at least one thing first...

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
I wanted kids in my early 20s but now in my mid 20s I'm less convinced that it's a good idea. I don't trust in my ability to not be cruel to them when they fuck shit up, so it just seems like it would be a bad idea.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
elvor0 said:
One day I'd like a son, and I'm the last male in the family so I suppose I have a responsibility there, but my rule is no kids till I'm at least 30 and have a stable job and home. I prefer being the irresponsible "uncle" to my friends kid anyway, you get to do all the fun shit without the responsible side of things stressing you out. Plus I get to act all childish again.
Most older parents I know regret waiting until their 30s; they wished them had kids early so during those really active years of their life they could have kept up with them. Just some food for thought.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Rednog said:
I don't know, I get told by a lot of people that I'd probably be an awesome parent but I honestly don't think I'd have the energy for it. I'm 26 and I'm completely wiped out from work every day. The one (and sometimes lucky two) days I get off a week I'm pretty much crashed out in bed sleeping half the day. I just don't see me being able to juggle a significant other or even a kid. Plus having a kid really seems like a huge commitment, I'm still in the point of my life where things are still about what I want to do, it seems like with having a kid you kind of have to put that aside, and I just feel by the time they're on their own I'd be too old to enjoy the "me" stuff.
I'm almost the same age as you and have pretty much the same thoughts. The thought of never having kids makes me feel a bit emotional for some reason. But the thought of having kids any time soon is terrifying. I'm only going to be young once. I want to be able to do stuff for me.

My mother has always been very clear that once you have kids, they come first. Everything from your work and your budget to your sex-life has to be made to fit around them. My dream of a high-flying career would have to go, as would most of my hobbies. I'm just not ready to make that sort of sacrifice yet, and I'm not certain I ever will be.

Ask me again when I'm 35!

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Maybe. I won't say never, since I won't know how I'll feel in a few years, but at the moment I have no intrest in breeding.
Need to pull my shit togeather first.

CPunchMaster

Aug 29, 2011
I voted never. I bloody hate children, to say the least.

And anything sounds better than raising annoying little midgets.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I'm hoping to get married someday at the very least. As for the kid, I'm not too sure.

If someday I end up having a significant other who wants children, I suppose I'd be okay with that. On the other hand if my potential future spouse didn't want kids, I'd be fine with that too.

I'm not sure how much I'd want a kid though, I've never been too overly fond of kids, but I'd try it out if my wife wanted to.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I like the idea of becoming a father, because I think I'd be a cool dad.

But I really, really don't enjoy infants. If my hypothetical-then-wife could just give birth to something that would change into a toddler the next day, I'd be set.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Kids at some point would be nice. Two or three of them. Yeah, I want to be a dad.

Used to not, then I almost became a dad. That changed me for life. Instantly. Changes your perspective immediately and irrevocably.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
If my avatar wasn't clear enough... yes I do, little kids are great fun to be around. I had to click the "maybe" option since it was the only one applicable to me but honestly the only way I could possibly not have a kid in the future is if I died or became severe incapacitated before I had to chance to have one.

Plus, if I didn't have a kid, who would would be the villain in the sequel after my inevitable death at the hands of the hero?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
dagens24 said:
elvor0 said:
Most older parents I know regret waiting until their 30s; they wished them had kids early so during those really active years of their life they could have kept up with them. Just some food for thought.
Well I suppose it's different strokes for different people. I like to go out partying and drinking and what not, plus I need the girlfriend to even start considering that, and I'm still in uni. Plus I'd like to think I can be a waster now and still bounce back, I'm having the fun times now.

Lets say 27/28 as a more appropriate age for me to start having kids. Getting a house is no easy feat and paying of student loans etc is going to be eating a lot of my money until I have a well paid job, so it's more of a guide line for when I expect to be properly in the position of being able to raise a child responsibly and to give them a nice environment to grow up in. It all depends on what state I'm in down the line from now, it's all well and good being young and keeping up with your kid, but I'd rather not be bleeding money when the time comes.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I would love to have kids in the future. Only when I am financially stable enough and when I have settled into a home. I want to have a family so much. Two or three children maybe.