Poll: Start a family! Who wants children?

Oct 27, 2010
NO! No no no no NO! Absolutely NOT! There's too much I want to do in this lifetime. I don't want anything holding me back. I want to travel, and learn and grow, and continue to experience life my way, without kids. My mum wanted grandchildren so my idiot little sister had a kid. There ya' go, now leave me alone. Thanks.

Friendly Lich

Feb 15, 2012
If I ever decide to become a parent I am gonna to get a foster child perhaps. Too many people have children without realizing what an enormous responsibility it is.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I don't like children very much, but that's because I only notice them when they cry which annoys the shit out of me. I'm sure I'd be fine surrounded by a bunch that didn't cry all the time, but I still don't want any of my own.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Judas. Between this and Yahtzee's "everyone over forty" crack, today has really, really made me feel old. And way out of place.

Anyone out there a fellow old fart who knows of a forum one can crash and not feel as old as a Necron or some such elder terror?

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Vault101 said:
Polarity27 said:
I've never wanted them either, and now I'm past the point where I should have had them if I'd wanted them (in perimenopause). I don't have any regrets about choosing not to have kids-- indeed, I shudder at how badly fucked up they'd be if we'd had them. We're just not really parent material.
big mistake...you'll reget it one day

kidding

it pisses me off when peopel say "you'll regret it" in regards to kids..I know its naive to think my mind will never change but for fucks sake don't give your "life advice" you condecending twat (not you obviouly)
What strikes me as odd is how flippantly people seem to view having children. As though it is not only expected, but something that should be done with priority given to baseless 'feeling', rather than to any sort of rational argument. I mean, raising children is a huge responsibility, not to mention the ethical dilemmas involved, as well as signing away the next 18+ years of your life on something that may flop horrendously.

I think my biggest problem is that people view children as part of their own relationships or development, like some form of milestone. To be blunt, that seem wildly irresponsible. I mean sure, you should want them in the first place, but the fact remains that you would be bringing another life into this world, one that is wholly dependent on you for a large portion of time, and their well-being should be the priority, not "What do I want from my life". I honestly don't care if someone thinks I'll change my mind and want kids later; that's only part of what is needed, and it certainly doesn't counter-act a lack of guaranteed future commitment, financial security, emotional stability, etc.

OT: No, I do not want kids. I don't want to want them either.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Phasmal said:
Well, I'm 22 now and the other day when I was getting my blood pressure done so I could get more pills the nurse asked me if I have thought about when I'll be having kids (that made me feel old).
To be honest I haven't really thought about it.
22? dear god

that is normal, obviously as people tend to leave a bit too late thease days...

but christ I'm 21 next week and I don't feel like an adult, let alone having kids

I'll be honest....even though I know its wrong in a way I look at people from my year at school who are kocked up (theres one at least...the kid must be like 2 or 3 now) and I think "my god...what did you do to yourself?" and when younger women talk about kids I think "is that all life is to you? breeding? popping out spawn?" that said though my life consists of games and figures so I'm hardly one to talk

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
My ideal family situation is to get married after my parents die, to some desperately lonely mama's boy who loves good home cooking, is okay with me not working, & has two or more kids from a previous failed marriage. Yes, I'm a leech, I hate employments. I would rather cook & clean & watch someone else's kids than get a job. Preferably this guy will think of me as replacement for his mom & I'm perfectly fine with him sleeping with other women or men. We'll have separate bedrooms anyway.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Biosophilogical said:
I think my biggest problem is that people view children as part of their own relationships or development, like some form of milestone. To be blunt, that seem wildly irresponsible. I mean sure, you should want them in the first place, but the fact remains that you would be bringing another life into this world, one that is wholly dependent on you for a large portion of time, and their well-being should be the priority, not "What do I want from my life".
Irresponsible? Most of the positive responses seem to be saying yes, but only once they're ready financially and mentally, or have achieved this and that in their lives.

What other reason is there to have a child, other than wanting to raise one? I doubt anyone here thinks they're just getting a doll to play with.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Hmm. Probably not for quite a long time. I still need to become independent of my own parents.

After that though... I'm not sure.
Little Woodsman said:
Plus--read Bunny Drop and Yotsuba&!
I'm already reading the latter. :)

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
If I met someone I'd love to share my life with, them maybe. Thing is, I don't really want to deal with a baby. If anything, I'd probably adopt a child who's 5+.

But I'd say if that's gonna happen, it'll be more than a decade from now when I'm in my 30s.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
When the time comes, yes. But only one, and I'm hoping for a daughter.
Reasons are simple: The generation I live in taught me how not to raise a daughter.
For real though, every girl I see in high school is a pampered stereotypical daddy's girl who gets whatever they want. You know what that is: Boring!
I'm gonna be a fun dad, I'm gonna play video games with her, teach her about self respect, integrity, respect for others, how personality over appearance truly matters, how imagination is the key to success, we'll critique movies together, teach her that hard work is the most rewarding, how to tolerate ignorance, how gender doesn't matter she can be whatever she wants to be, especially to be herself! Gay or straight I'll support her all the way!

I WILL BE THE GREATEST DAD EVAAAAAAR!! and vice versa if its a boy...

OT: Something may be wrong with me.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I have this awkward dilemma in that I resent people who have happy family lives. I can't sympathise with anyone who doesn't know what it feels like to be unloved by the very people who brought you into this world. I want to grind those people's faces in the dirt until they understand.

Of course the upshot of this is that unless I treat my child like shit, I will probably hate the smug little fucker. I don't want either of those things, so no children for me. Even if there were a chance I could overcome my issues in future, there's no way I'm hauling one of those things around for six months when it could well turn out to be a disappointment. Having me was one of the stupidest things my mother ever did. She regrets it. I regret it. I'm not making that same mistake.

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
Girlfriend and I have been together for a couple years now, and neither of us have any desire for children ever. She's the oldest of 5 and worked with a preschool for a while, so that turned her off the idea of kids pretty strongly. And me? We'll I'd just prefer we spend all that money on ourselves and travel and such. Kids are expensive and make vacations harder. Oh, and we are both in our twenties, so odds are low that opinions will change when it's still a good idea, as a good portion of my friends have already started families. And we play safe, so no accidents, more than likely.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
excalipoor said:
I'm curious: how many of you are planning/hoping to start a family at some point in the future, or have done so already?
Already done so.

To mis-paraphrase Vault: I don't like kids, but I had one anyway.

Why? Because my genes are too good not to pass on.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Male, 23, friends with benefits is the best option, kids - why would i do such a travesty?

Oh, and we are both in our twenties, so odds are low that opinions will change when it's still a good idea, as a good portion of my friends have already started families.
what do you mean when its still a good idea. women at their 40s have no problem giving birth nowadays. not that its EVER a good idea.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
I read the title of this thread as an offer...
But yeah, someday, I want a chance to raise a child with someone I love. Probably one of the most important things I want out of life.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
It's not a maybe, I want a kid. Son, daughter, doesn't matter to me, I'd end up babying the hell out of them anyway.
I love kids, and the idea of being able to instill all of the goodness I have in myself while removing all of the verbal/emotional torment my own father put me through all of my life...

I think I would be an amazing father. I know that people usually say, "I'll be a better father than mine was," but I know I would be. I would never make my child feel worthless as my own father made me feel.

That being said, I hope I have a son. Again, either would be fine, but obviously being male I could relate to a son better. And then I could get one of those corny pictures of he and I in my wallet, where we're both wearing the same shirt and a the same sunglasses.

I'd be a good dad.

Dammit, if I can only leave one good thing in this world, I'd leave a child that has been raised right.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
excalipoor said:
Flying Dagger said:
I read the title of this thread as an offer...
Sorry, no human trafficking here! You'll just have to make your own kids.
o_O human trafficking? I assumed someone wanted kids and decided to make a thread to decide who gets to have them with them