Poll: Start a family! Who wants children?

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
JEBWrench said:
I absolutely I do. I actually miss being a (step)father.

Padwolf said:
I would love to have kids in the future. Only when I am financially stable enough and when I have settled into a home. I want to have a family so much. Two or three of them.
Two or three families? That takes some clever balancing work. :p
Haha, it might, but I may just go further and have 5 :p

Thank for pointing that out though, I will edit that ! :D

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Padwolf said:
JEBWrench said:
I absolutely I do. I actually miss being a (step)father.

Padwolf said:
I would love to have kids in the future. Only when I am financially stable enough and when I have settled into a home. I want to have a family so much. Two or three of them.
Two or three families? That takes some clever balancing work. :p
Haha, it might, but I may just go further and have 5 :p

Thank for pointing that out though, I will edit that ! :D
The solution is obvious: seven, and a lot of convenient six-day business trips.

Oct 2, 2012
I want to have kids in the future. Preferably two, no more than that, but one would be acceptable too. And I definitely want to wait until I'm able to financially support my kid(s) before I have any though. If the mother (hopefully we'd stay together) has a career or job that'd be awesome too.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I'm leaning more towards no kids but I'm not even 30 so I'll probably change my mind. I like the idea of having a daughter but it scares me to death at the same time. Fuck babies though, why can't they just pop out at like 4-5 years old.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
It's funny, my closest friends are all childless because they're my age and responsible enough not to have kids before they're ready, but a lot of my more distant friends and slightly older associates have been having kids recently, and they love it and are doing fine.

Like a few girls I know had kids a few years ago, and they're not financially the most stable and they're frankly not the brightest, but they seem to be doing fine and don't seem to regret it at all.
And a BUNCH of my distant associates, who I know are very similar to me in mindset and such, have been having kids the past year, and they all just seem happy, proud, and exhausted.

So, ultimately, I'm not worried about being ready for kids. I know I'd be an awesome, possibly ridiculous, father. And at this point it kinda seems up to me to continue my branch of the family tree, since my bro and his girlfriend seem to be dead set against kids. That's sad, since my brother and I both seem to have inherited an almost superhuman mix of genes, and it'd seem such a terrible waste not to pass that along if at all possible....

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
Macgyvercas said:
I know I'd like kids someday. Maybe two or three boys and one or two girls.

Is it weird I have ideas for names?
Allow me to one up you: Is it wierd that me and my girlfriend have already decided what we want to name our kids, how many we would have........and were are both 19 and not marrying for another 4 years?

Specifically, if things go exactly how we want, we will have a set on twins with one boy and one girl (She wants twins, and I want one son and one daughter, with a limit of 3 total planned kids), and thier names will be May Annabelle M----- for our daughter and Robert Edward M----- for our son.

OT: I think the above answers my question rather well.

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
Vault101 said:
Polarity27 said:
I've never wanted them either, and now I'm past the point where I should have had them if I'd wanted them (in perimenopause). I don't have any regrets about choosing not to have kids-- indeed, I shudder at how badly fucked up they'd be if we'd had them. We're just not really parent material.
big mistake...you'll reget it one day

kidding

it pisses me off when peopel say "you'll regret it" in regards to kids..I know its naive to think my mind will never change but for fucks sake don't give your "life advice" you condecending twat (not you obviouly)
Yeah, I agree. I used to be really rabidly, militantly childfree, and then I softened up a lot and found it easier to tolerate and even enjoy being around children. I think what made the difference is that I don't get social pressure anymore. Nobody says "you'll regret it someday!" to a disabled 40-something, they know it's pretty much too late and they also know that I wouldn't have the energy and physical capacity to care for them. Unfortunately for you younger people, there's no cure to that kind of social meddling *except* age. Sometimes I wish I could take a time machine and, as my current self, go back and tell every person who ever said that "I'm over 40 and I still don't regret it, so..."

The interesting thing to me is how many people who used to hassle me about it now say they agree with me, that I wouldn't have been good with kids and that it's better to have people who don't want them stick to their decision than have kids they didn't want out of some kind of sense of obligation. I think the only thing that slightly bothers me is that it really does mean the end of my mother's family line. There may be some very distant cousins out there somewhere, but in my immediate family, my grandfather had two children (one with his first wife (my grandmother), and one with his second (my Aunt K's mother) and both my Aunt K and I have chosen to be childfree. On one hand, it's good that the line is ending, we have more psychological drama and heritable health conditions than you can shake a stick at, not good genes to pass on at all. But it's somewhat upsetting to have all of these bits of family memorabilia and no one to pass them down to.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know. I'm undecided on the issue. Right now I'm more concerned about finding a woman who'll spend her life with me.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
hmm...dunno.

I am great with kids (but not babies) and I love being the irresponsible/fun uncle, but one of my own?

I shudder at the thought of me being responsible for another human being, being responsible for myself is enough. So it is not so much "grr, i hate kids" but "ehh...ill probably be a crappy father"

I mean...I dont even know how to make a treehouse!

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Nope. I like the idea and would probably make a decent father and all, but I'll already be teaching/parenting hundreds of kids a day all year long and I doubt I'd ever have the patience or the time to care for one or more of my own as well.
As for marriage ... also no. The economic penalties if things go awry far outweigh any emotional benefits, at least for me.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
Absolutely not. No children for me. Ever. And I can't see my opinion changing any time soon.

I don't want that kind of responsibility, I barely take care of myself properly at this point. Not to mention children seem to represent everything I dislike (that being that they are loud, messy, unpredictable and for the most part rather stupid).

They would be a massive financial drain. They would be yet another chore to attend to, taking away time for myself (yes I am very self centred, and I would like to be able to live free of the constraints that would be imposed by having children to care for).

I would have to teach them how to behave in the world. Who is to say that I know how best to behave in the world? Anything they do wrong, I would feel responsible for.

I'm paranoid enough about my own life. Having an unpredictable child, ignorant of the potentially exaggerated dangers my mind would perceive, would leave me so constantly worried and stressed out, I don't know how I would cope. Being in a position where anything I do could potentially negatively impact the life of someone who's very existence I am responsible for (I'm assuming it is my biological child), is too much for me and I don't envy anyone in that position.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
BOOM headshot65 said:
Macgyvercas said:
I know I'd like kids someday. Maybe two or three boys and one or two girls.

Is it weird I have ideas for names?
Allow me to one up you: Is it wierd that me and my girlfriend have already decided what we want to name our kids, how many we would have........and were are both 19 and not marrying for another 4 years?

Specifically, if things go exactly how we want, we will have a set on twins with one boy and one girl (She wants twins, and I want one son and one daughter, with a limit of 3 total planned kids), and thier names will be May Annabelle M----- for our daughter and Robert Edward M----- for our son.

OT: I think the above answers my question rather well.
Daniel James, Henry Peter, and Joshua Lawrence for boys. Charlotte Grace and Mary Jane (no middle name) for girls.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
themutantlizard said:
Vault101 said:
I like kids

that doesnt mean I want some of my own

right now if I had to choose....no I'm too self centered, however that could definetly change
how is not wanting kids self centered?
I think your implying that too much dude. I mean she really doesn't say anything close to that other then stating her own reason.
OT: I have an adorable niece who is a antsy annoying ball of joy. Really though, obviously I want to be responsible and wait till I'm steady career wise and I meet someone who I feel is just as ready.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
God, no. Kids are annoying and pretty much require you dedicate the next 20-or so years of your life to them.

QuartzQuadreant

Sep 14, 2012
I want to go through all the trials and tribulations of having a child: my father an I never really had any dynamic past eating together in the evenings and occasionally going to watch cricket together, and I never had any cause to confide in him. I'd want a child who needed a father to step up to the plate - perhaps he'd be worried about his sexuality, or his gender, or his girlfriends, a child who'd come into my study and say "dad, I need to talk to you". I never had that with my dad, and it would be great to experience it on either side.

I'd be a terrible father, and I don't particularly enjoy the idea of it other than the conditions I just listed.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I want to have kid(s) at some point of my life.

But first I need to find a girlfriend, get married, and move together.

I don't like babies, but as soon as they're old enough to understand talking, yeah, they're ok. I think I'd make a great mom, it can't be that different from training cats, dogs and ferrets, can it?