Poll: Start a family! Who wants children?

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
One day, when I manage to establish a long-term relationship with that special someone and we both feel up for the responsibility of it. I like kids, I really genuinely do and having some of my own is an experience that I want.

Buuuut until then, promiscuity ho!

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Kinda sad the number of folks around here who say "Hell no".

Such an above average, enlightened, sane bunch of people, and you'd not want to pass your good traits on to future generations? Just leave the future generations to be raised by the lunatics and morons of the world?

:(

Harley Q

Oct 11, 2009
Kids are a lot of work and I've spent most of my life looking after other people. Although I would love to have kids in the future, I would hope to be in a stable relationship before procreating. Is it selfish to not want to raise a child on your own?

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
We'd like some, but given the genetic minefield me and my partner have between us, we'd rather adopt, plenty of kids that need homes as it is.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Bollocks to that. I would rather die alone than have children, purely because they annoy me and I can enjoy my own company.

Ieyke said:

Such an above average, enlightened, sane bunch of people, and you'd not want to pass your good traits on to future generations? Just leave the future generations to be raised by the lunatics and morons of the world?

I think you may be giving this community too much credit, then again I can find something wrong with anything.

Oh and I am hardly sane :3

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
lRookiel said:
Bollocks to that. I would rather die alone than have children, purely because they annoy me and I can enjoy my own company.

Ieyke said:

I think you may be giving this community too much credit, then again I can find something wrong with anything.

It's all relative to how little credit I give to most of the REST of mankind.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Ieyke said:
lRookiel said:

Ieyke said:

It's all relative to how little credit I give to most of the REST of mankind.
Yeah! FUCK THE WORLD! The escapist is the peak of humanity! YEAH!!!

Let's all go sacrifice goats so Mud doesn't curse us with Bieber avatars.

mitchell271 said:
I'm 18. A little young for that
Well... I'm 19 and I've decided I never want kids, not too young at all my friend.

Zyntoxic

May 9, 2011
I had this discussion with my boyfriend the last night, since we´ve been together for 6½ years now and the "appropriate time" for getting kids is getting near.
he is a definite kids person and his biggest dream is having a family, career comes secondary to him, so he wants one with in about 2 years, when he has graduated from his university and gotten a steady job(probably gonna get one even before he graduates so that really isn´t an issue).
me on the other hand questions whether I´m really fit for raising kids. ever.
Kids usually really like me, a lot, but I have a lot of emotional and mental issues that I don´t think is gonna get fixed, and against common belief I do not think it is a right that every human have to create children, it is such a huge responsibility that it shouldn´t be either.
so I won´t have kids until I believe my emotional and mental luggage won´t affect my children negatively.

besides, he wants 3 and I am all for a limitations of childbirth, 1 child max per grown up.
our planet is overpopulated as it is, so want more than 2? there is always adoption.
I´ve seriously considered that if I´m ever getting kids, I´m only gonna adopt.
I like the fact that there are actual procedures and more criteria for adopting than creating, people making sure you are actually fit to be a parent, should do the same for allowance of childbirth - . -

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
No, not now, not ever.

1). I dislike children.
2). I can just about look after myself, never mind myself + child.
3). My life plans leave no room for children.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Vault101 said:
Polarity27 said:
I've never wanted them either, and now I'm past the point where I should have had them if I'd wanted them (in perimenopause). I don't have any regrets about choosing not to have kids-- indeed, I shudder at how badly fucked up they'd be if we'd had them. We're just not really parent material.
big mistake...you'll reget it one day

kidding

it pisses me off when peopel say "you'll regret it" in regards to kids..I know its naive to think my mind will never change but for fucks sake don't give your "life advice" you condecending twat (not you obviouly)
Yeah, it always kinda offends and perplexes me when people say this to me. "Oh, when you're old and lonely, and you have no one to care for you and the rest of your family is gone, then you will surely regret not having had a family of your own." It comes across as nothing but an incredibly nasty guilt trip to me, even if the person somehow means well by it.

I'm 30 and I'm also to the age where I would need to be starting to have them by now if I ever wanted kids. I never felt any desire towards having them for as long as I can remember. I've never been around young kids, babies, I have no experience with them and don't feel comfortable taking care of them. I got a later start to my career and I still have a lot of professional development to do in order to achieve my goals, and I can't even begin to imagine how much having a kid right now would totally ruin my growth as an artist.

Sure, I'd love to be my mom's age and have a daughter who's just like me with my mom now, who I can have fun together with and all that, but I honestly can't fathom all the childraising stuff that comes before that and it just doesn't feel right for me. Whenever one of my friends or relatives announces they're having a baby, my initial thought is always somewhere between "I feel so bad for them" and "thank God that's not me", even when I know they're super excited about it!

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I'd like children. It'd be nice to accomplish something like that, and pass on my genes.

Plus whenever I think of having a cute child of my own, it hits me right in the d'awwwws.

Probably won't have them for a while. It'll be a miracle if I even find a partner with the career I'm aiming for. I'll be too busy.

Macgyvercas said:
I know I'd like kids someday. Maybe two or three boys and one or two girls.

Is it weird I have ideas for names?
If it is I'm weirder since I'm 18.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
themutantlizard said:
how is not wanting kids self centered?
I dont know...ask them

mabye because your not willing to put somone else before you, though having children is self centered in its own way

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I don't see myself wanting kids but that could change. Its just from what little I know of having a kid, they aren't exactly little bundles of joy.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
BiscuitTrouser said:
Technically youre creating new human cells just to keep yourself alive. If you detest mankind to the degree where you dont wish to make any human cells the only solution is to not be alive. Hell apparently you detest yourself anyway. Just sayin ;p

On that note this is how i previously used to feel. Its kinda funny looking back at it now.
Call me insane but I knew that someone was going to comment saying exactly what you did. To be honest at the time of writing a voice in my head was like: "You do know that tomorrow you may wake up and think what you said was rubbish, right?"

Look, the only reason I felt like this was because I had not gotten over a fear of mine. However due to events that transpired TODAY (!), I must say that I agree with what you said completely. You even used the wording I would use to describe to myself the level of my own silliness :p

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Russian_Assassin said:
Call me insane but I knew that someone was going to comment saying exactly what you did. To be honest at the time of writing a voice in my head was like: "You do know that tomorrow you may wake up and think what you said was rubbish, right?"

Look, the only reason I felt like this was because I had not gotten over a fear of mine. However due to events that transpired TODAY (!), I must say that I agree with what you said completely. You even used the wording I would use to describe to myself the level of my own silliness :p
I wrote that and went to work and immediately felt bad about coming off uncaring and condescending. If you had a rubbish day i didnt want to be that stupid pedant who called you out and was mean about it. I was gonna come back and post an apology for being a douche. Im glad you took it with the humor i intended it :3 Aw its alright. Everyones silly a LOT of the time :p

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I WUV kids. (No typo.)

I totally plan on having a family. There's no option in the poll for "Yes, definitely, when I can".

Just as soon as I find the right woman...

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
In the future I definitely want to be a father. If I don't find that special somebody (or even if I do, depending on circumstances) I'll probably adopt.