Poll: Stopping Power, Is it ruining the Call of Duty expierence?

DarkDoopliss

Aug 7, 2008
I've been playing Modern Warfare 2 since it first launched and I have noticed that almost everyone uses "Stopping Power". It seems that all other 2nd tier perks are being left behind. Does anyone else feel this way?

brtshstel

Dec 16, 2008
I would rather have it than get killed by a noob who insists on using Juggernaut and an LMG. It's funny too because if some noob on Xbox Live gets killed then he moans about you cheating, especially if you counter his Juggernaut with using it yourself.

TheEarlOfGrey

Feb 5, 2010
A little. When I used to play MW2 (Ive moved onto Bad Company 2 now) it was the same, but I would occasionaly swap it out for something like overkill or cold blooded for certain strategies.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I do find it annoying that the lack of stopping power will almost certainly result in you losing in a head-to-head fight against another player...

Also, I wish they would show how much power the thing adds onto your gun, that would be useful.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I always used to use it. Primarily because I just started with a default weapon set and couldn't be bothered to change it, then I unlocked the Cold-Blooded perk and have switched to that.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
No... evereyone uses cold blooded. Thats an entirely other story.

MW2 really is unbalanced, glitchy as all hell, and is overrated.

That being said, we should all go play bioshock 2 so I can get the acheivments for ranking up. Noone plays anymore.

Please?

sean.A7x

Dec 16, 2009
I don't really play it that much anymore, but when I do I use it because it good =D I find other one more irritating :p
wrecker77 said:
No... evereyone uses cold blooded. Thats an entirely other story.

MW2 really is unbalanced, glitchy as all hell, and is overrated.

That being said, we should all go play bioshock 2 so I can get the acheivments for ranking up. Noone plays anymore.

Please?
I play bioshock 2 quite alot online, and i can always find games :p

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Cold-blooded for me.
Though 1 or 2 of my classes had stopping power...

In response to the question in the title, though? Personally, I don't think it's "ruining" the experience at all.
I'm usually sneaking up behind the guys and taking them out before their stopping power has any effect on me. :p

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
...No? I hadn't noticed, I guess Stopping Power and Steady Aim make up a basic class though.

Myself, I'm a Cold Blooded man.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
In the future, I want Stopping Power to be built in--in other words, I want guns to do that much damage by default. Then, I want the perk to be removed, freeing up the second tier of perks for some other gameplay altering goodness.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
And stopping power doesn't save you ammo, either, because if you watch any killcam, you'll notice that people almost always fire at least five more bullets than neccessary.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Simalacrum said:
I do find it annoying that the lack of stopping power will almost certainly result in you losing in a head-to-head fight against another player...

Also, I wish they would show how much power the thing adds onto your gun, that would be useful.
I can.

m21 gets OHK to neck and chest, as well as the head. Silencers cancel out SP's bonus.
WA2000 gains no benefit.
Intervention+Barrett add OHKs to the stomach with it.

MP5K gets 2HK at CQ, and 3 at range.
UMP45 only changes from 3HK to 2HK in close range with SP, without it it's a flat 3HK
FAL with a holo sight gets 2HK any range,

All other guns need one less bullet per kill at any range, so weak weapons like ACR go from 4-5 bullets to 3-4, depending on range. Stronger rifles like the TAR drop from 3-4 to 2-3. Silencer on LMG negates SP(so don't use them at all), L86,RPD,AUG, get 2HK any range, the other LMGs get three.

SP is essential to build balancing. It adds power to full assault classes, makes UAVs more effective and introduces an opportunity cost in the other tier 2s.

Jan 29, 2009
Furburt said:
I'd have to say the MW2 really is one of the worst balanced games I've seen in a while. WAW and COD4 weren't great either, but they were at least bearable (except for the constant martyrdom) but I can't even play MW2 online anymore, I just have to move onto something more balanced.

So yes OP, I share your pain, Stopping Power is most definitely overused.
Yes, its effen annoying...
I think they should act as traits, like in Fallout, so they all have drawbacks, I.E. Stopping power lowers your health proportionate to the damage increase.
OP: I prefer Cold Blooded, not being noticed is a heck of a lot better, as stopping power can only do so much against the entire Russian air force that the spetsnaz team somehow "earned".

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
yes, simply because your at a disadvantage against other players who use, and considering the power of assault rifles, medium range quick scoping requires it.

Also i find the other 2nd tier perks worthless, i know how to avoid killstreaks, i can handle getting another kill for killstreaks, i run fast enough, although danger close and pro pipes are good times.

scoHish

Mar 27, 2008
Many of the guns don't need Stopping Power to be effective, and I still swap out my 2nd perk for Hardline or Cold-Blooded from time to time... so no, I don't think Stopping Power is ruining the experience, but I think the game would have more variety without it. Plus, the ACR would suck.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Stopping power is the perk that stopped me (haha, bad pun intended) from playing anything but hardcore (when the first bullet kills, stopping power literally doesn't change anything - on normal game modes however, you have to use stopping power (or else will loose fights against people that you saw, and hit 2-3 seconds faster than they did you - and I don't want to take stopping power...

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
None of your options fit me.

I use stopping power on some classes, and not on others.

On my sniper (which i mainly use in wasteland) i have cold blooded.
On my stealth class i have cold blooded (as well as ninja and a silencer) I use this mainly for sabotage and otehr objective based modes.
On my tube class (yeah, i'm an ass-hole like that) i have Danger close, obviously
On a knife class, i'd have light weigth (or marathon whichever it is thats second slot)
Then i got one class with stopping power, and one with hardline, cause calling UAV's in all teh time is a great way to support your friends, and it makes air strikes more efficient.

But if it's bothering you that much look at it this way.

Everyoen has stopping power, and they can then opt to "loose" teh extra damage for some oterh benefit. Like if you couldn't pick SP, but all the other slot 2 perks had - damage on them.

Or you could just quit your whine, and realize that tehre will always be something hated in that game.
stopping power, martyrdom, painkiller, last stand, final stand, n00b-tubes, knifes, snipers, campers, killstreak rewards, akimbo rangers, akimbo 1887s or akimbo glocks.
I've heard lots of whine about all of the above and more, and it has made me come to the conclusion that people are just too stupid, proud and whiny, to realize that they're not good enough to pwn everything and everyone all the time, so they start blaming all sort of shit for their lack of überness.