Poll: Students launch a poster campaign against racist costume

Goremocker

Lost in Time
May 20, 2009
mrscott137 said:
Kinda ironic that the Daily Mail of all people reported this.
I actually found this story two days ago on Know your Meme... Now THAT'S ironic.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
This is such a meme base. Gunter Hermann next to a dishwasher. "This is not who I am, I AM NOT. A MACHINE!"

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I can't help but think actually blacking up is a bit dodgy, but, in the case of the suicide bomber...there again, consider how many white teenagers are so desperate to look 'black' anyway, either by the path of the wigga, or by slapping on so much fake tan that they make the darkest of undiscovered african tribes look albino.

He's not mocking all middle eastern people, he's mocking the kind of fuckwit who'd strap a bomb to his ass because Allah says so. All suicide bombers and all terrorists are fuckwits, and they deserve contempt and mockery. It DOESN'T mean we're mocking everyone of that race.

From a UK perspective, there's been enough Dr Harold Shipmans and Fred Wests wandering the streets on previous halloweens, they're famous serial killers, and therefore fair game.

I'd have to say, it's not the choice of costume, it's how respectful you're being to it.

As a previous poster said, if you've got a nice geisha outfit, no harm done, if you're taping your eyes back and being horribly stereotypical, people will have a problem.

Also, is a sombrero, comedy moustache and a donkey really 'oppressing the mexican people'? It's silly, sure, but are people calling for a ban on fajita adverts and Speedy Gonzales cartoons? I don't think it's really a 'negative stereotype' and I don't think most people think Mexico is full of people like that.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
I think it's good seeing youth standing up and voicing what they think of these costumes, and with very effective communication skills. Good on em.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
I'd support them, if they are ready to go the whole way. This should be the next poster:

It's a bit crude, but I think the intention is clear...
/joke

Edit:
Goremocker said:
I agree with these kids! Proud races are mocked every year by this.. "Halloween"
I feel that this "Halloween" MUST. BE. ASSIMILATED!!
damn. didn't notice that post. This is just.... beautifull...

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
OK, so I don't disagree with the sentiment that dressing up as "a black guy" for halloween and turning into ghetto trash is fairly racist, and I'm sure there are people who will find it offensive, but I don't think that this is something that's worth an entire poster campaign against. I mean, if someone's costume offends you then it's totally within your rights to go and say so and if you dress up as a suicide bomber for halloween then you should probably figure out beforehand that someone will be offended, but this campaign seems to blow things out of proportion.

On the other hand, I don't really belong to any stereotypable ethnic group, so maybe I just don't know how this feels.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
The costumes shown in the campaign are more an issue of taste rather than race. The arab suicide bomber is in pretty poor taste but there is nothing racist about dressing up as an arab. In the past I've used an arab costume, the decision was not inspired by any notion of race, but simply another costume to go with the myriad of other costumes that night. Equally on another night I've been a bee (yeah that was a good night), I wouldn't say by dressing up as a bee I'm trying to mock bees. I'm not beeist (a word I will now use everyday).

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Not one of those costumes was offensive. Except the black one. That one wasn't really 'Halloween'. It didn't make any sense.

And, if you're dressed as a bandito, and a Mexican gets offended and says "This is not who I am", then how the fuck did you know it was supposed to be Mexican, Pedro? I have the misfortune to be associated heavily with English, Scottish and Irish nationality, and as such I'm showered with potato references, kilts and tea. Am I offended? Not at all. I didn't get mad at Braveheart for being such a dramatic Scot. If a guy comes to a Hallowe'en party in a balaclava and tells me he's an IRA member, I'm not going to claim he's stereotyping the Irish as the IRA. And when Americans like to make fun of the English, I'm not concerned.

Also, the first picture, I saw a fat white guy with a towel on his head and some dynamite. At which point did the Middle-Eastern kid see this as a reflection of his own culture?

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Father Time said:
EHKOS said:
Yeah, we know most middle eastern people aren't suicide bombers. Which is why we don't dress up as them. We dress up as SUICIDE BOMBERS. It doesn't matter what your skin color is, as long as you're wearing dynamite.
Seriously. Suicide Bomber protestor guy does not get to complain.

It's not like suicide bomber is something bigots made up to make Mulsims or Arabs look bad, they are a real thing in the world that really do kill people.

And dressing up as one is not implying that all Arabs or all Muslims act like that. Unless you start saying that your costume is "A Muslim".
Actually this is the main reason that I would say that that costume is in bad taste. If they were to just wear the outfit and say that they were an arab or an oil baron or something, then yes, that is a little racist but quite funny. and people get on with it.

It's kinda like dressing up as a SWAT officer and claiming to be a sweedish gunman... That is a real thing that killed real people and is in bad taste.

However as far as racism goes, no, you aren't implying that all arabs are bombers, the same way as dressing like a gangster isn't taking the piss out of americans, it's a goddamn costume. dealwithit.jpg

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
What about Irish people. We are not leprechauns. Feels to me like they are leaving out some serious cases of costumes that are in the same line as those ones and at the same time including some that are in no way racist. Like the Geisha one, it is not an exaggeration. The costume is actually spot on. It is an accurate representation of a Geisha [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geisha], which is in no way representative of all Asians.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Goremocker said:
I agree with these kids! Proud races are mocked every year by this.. "Halloween"
I feel that this "Halloween" MUST. BE. ASSIMILATED!!
Borg assimilate things. Daleks exterminate things. Not the same.

[small]Also, those RTD things aren't proper Daleks. Blech...[/small]

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Romblen said:
First World Problems, when your biggest complaint is related to Halloween costumes.
I would actually like that kid to be dumbed into Africa and see if he can get anyone care about his problem.

Well whatever its free speech, let 'em *****. Or if they want they can dress up as honkies and we all can have a laugh at ourselves.

New Vegas Samurai

Dec 12, 2010
999realthings said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2053134/Students-launch-poster-campaign-racist-Halloween-costumes.html
I gotta this have to one of the most pointless and trying to hard to be politically correct things I have seen in a while.
While the Arab suicide bomber costume is offensive and probably shouldn't be worn, everything else is quite tame. The geisha outfit, the Mexican outfit and maybe the ghetto outfit.
Personally, I'm Asian and I went to Halloween as a Viet Cong. So people need to get over and have laugh in life or am I being to racially insentive
Holy crap Kudos to you for going as viet cong!
but yeah, If I were to say something about it, I think that there is still a line between parody and racism. A very well defined line... With razor wire, and sniper towers...

OT: Try looking at "the four Lions" film
If humor can be misconstrued as racism, I'm a little fearful for the fate of comedy.

Goremocker

Lost in Time
May 20, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Goremocker said:
Borg assimilate things. Daleks exterminate things. Not the same.

[small]Also, those RTD things aren't proper Daleks. Blech...[/small]
CURSES! You saw through my clever ruse... Guess I don't care about those kids after all...

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
chiggerwood said:
This is stupidity on the grandest of scales. If you're that offended by a Halloween costume, please get your head out of your ass.
I have no idea why this got me so worked up.
I wonder why no Indians ever call racism on anything be it costumes, sports teams or even tv stereotypes.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Racism-

1.The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

2.Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief

are these halloween costumes really racist?

[sub][sub]Dam this dictionary is useful[/sub][/sub]

OT NO I don't agree with their campaign since nowhere does that guys costume say hes a muslim, people who think that themselves are racists(Kind of)

captcha: 1879-1924 must google

beniki

May 28, 2009
*sigh* And the sad thing is they're all dressed in Western clothing. Are you still your culture?

Red Bomb

Nov 25, 2009
...It's the Daily Fail. What else do you expect to come from them? (apart from bigoted racist articles screaming about how England is going down the pan thanks to immigrants, black gang/knife crime and benefit frauds?)

So in a word, No. This campaign is a joke.

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
"Racism:

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races."

Nope, by definition those costumes are not racist.

Also, I don't understand why anyone would get worked up in the first place, if someone wanted to dress up in a knight/medieval warrior costume and speak in an English accent I wouldn't be offended ... oh wait ... nope, not offended.