Poll: Survey no.2: Do you use IRC?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Those of you old enough to remember the internet in the '90s (when downloading the Doom demo cost as much as the actual game)may have used a handy little apparatus called Internet Relay Chat. Better known as IRC.

Think of it as a collection of chat rooms on a network which is hosted on various servers. Back in the days before Facebook chat (and MSN, AIM, and everything else) we nerds used to hang out on our channels (IRC term for a chat room) and talk about IBM keyboards, and our daily travels through the Matrix.

So how many of you still use it? And if you don't would you like to? Most sites have their own channels on various servers i.e. Reddit and Destructoid, and The Escapist has a decent sized population in #escapist on the Chatspike network.

And no, we don't bite.

Dumori

Dumori(masoddaa)
May 28, 2010
Yeah I use IRC I should invest in a decent IRC client I bounce between Mibbit, a self coded one, and pigdin none are really perfect to say the least.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Sevre said:
Those of you old enough to remember the internet in the '90s (when downloading the Doom demo cost as much as the actual game)may have used a handy little apparatus called Internet Relay Chat. Better known as IRC.
Oh GOD the 90's internet. It paaaaaaains me.

It breaks my brain a bit to think that there are escapist users now who are too young to remember a time before broadband and cell phones, when using the internet and the telephone were mutually exclusive.

Apr 28, 2008
I do not.

Mainly because I don't have much of a reason to. And at the moment I have enough places to talk with others, I'd start feeling overwhelmed if I joined more.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I did before I got a new computer, (although still very rarely), but I've yet to install it on the new laptop.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
I would but I have an irrational fear of just jumping into social situations, be they in real life, or through online interactions. I do lurk a little bit, especially yesterday when the forums were being all buggy.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
A few dedicated IRC clients for those who are interested include: mIRC [http://www.mirc.com/], XChat [http://xchat.org/], and if you're really cool irssi [http://irssi.org/].

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
Nope. Not at all.
That fella posting as "DragonsAteMyMarbles" on #escapist? Totally some other bloke.

And I DEFINITELY definitely don't go on when I'm blazed out of my head so everyone else can laugh at my spelling mistakes.
Honest!

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, I frequently use IRC. I stay in #escapist, mostly.
Although the other regulars haven't seen much of me in there recently due to internet connection issues I've been having lately >.>
Damn, I hope that gets sorted soon, I miss talking to everyone on there...

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I've tried, but those of you who were there when the other mods bullied me to try it out can testify how bad I am at it.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
GeorgW said:
I've tried, but those of you who were there when the other mods bullied me to try it out can testify how bad I am at it.
What was your problem anyway? It's not nearly as difficult as everyone says. If you want to PM me I'll help you get it sorted out.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I haven't tried it but since you guys seem so keen on us using it I might give it a go at some point in time.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Yeah. My Cybernations alliance, (which you should all totally join, because of awesome)[/advertising] uses IRC to talk

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I'm scared of text conversations on the fly like IRC. I like this because I can plan out what I want to say, but with IRC, it's like Improv. Sure, we all just want to have a chat, so I can relax and just talk, which is great, but I feel that A) I am the least interesting person in the world with the least interesting views and interests in the world, B) I suck at conversations with people (Miracle I have a GF, I tell you) and C) I always forget I'm in conversations.

Seriously, talk to anyone I have IM convos with and I always drift off and just not answer for like half an hour because I have forgotten, regardless of who I'm talking to (Even my girlfriend which is still a miracle I have), I will forget I'm talking and leave the person hanging with an unanswered question, a one way conversation, or them saying "Guess what?" to a big bunch of thin air between my ears.

Adding to this, Months ago, I was invited by a friend into a big Skype conversation room where people converse on a daily basis. A lot of people, room is always open and doing things. I have not been there for months as I'm afraid they might reject me if I just show up again out of the blue. I'm not even sure what they're talking about half the time too, but I probably would if I hung around with them and I just wasn't so afraid of what others think of me. I wish I knew why I hate not knowing what people think of me. It's petty and I feel selfish for it. I wish I knew...

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
I certainly remember IRC but I don't often use it. Every once in a while I pop in to the Escapist Channel to see if anything interesting is going on. Other than that, IRC's remain a part of my past.