Poll: Teachers Not Allowed to Discuss Personal Religious Beliefs in Class

Vrud

Mar 11, 2009
Normally I'm against censorship of free speech, but, yeah. Their job is to teach, not to preach.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
As part of a discussion on a topic which their faith is related to then, yes, they certainly should be allowed to speak about their own faith. If religion is not tied to the topic at hand, then it would be inappropriate for them to discuss it. That's a pretty wide range of topics which I think they should be allowed to give their opinion on: evolutionary theory in the sciences, religious revivals in social studies courses, religious literature in English - as long as they teach the course material properly as well as giving their own opinions that's fine. However, on unrelated topics they should stay away from it.

This is in reference to high school, maybe eighth grade, teachers. Below that a teacher's personal beliefs probably shouldn't be brought up unless they are absolutely necessary to discussion. People under that age tend to be a bit more easily impressionable.

powell86

Mar 19, 2009
Jodan said:
they sould be allowed to explain their beleifs as an opinion no beleifs are facts not even mine(we ware human and cant know)
imposing beliefs upon students is different
though school is basically "imposing" state or staff aprooved beleifs on the students
but geography and gym class didnt start the crusades, thats why we dont question those classes. but this is basically a censorship issue and if people cant decide for themselves, and if you are mad at some one for choosing different than your no different than those crusaders no matter what faith you follow. we are all entitled to have and make our own opinions.
I agree.

The issue however runs more along the lines of how do we then enforce it? Ideally all teachers will/can explain their beliefs as an opinion but many of us has had experiences that these teachers will treat them as "truths". Hence the blanket wide censorship as you put it. I don't like it, I think it hinders learning potential as it prohibits many potential informative discussions but nonetheless I do see the benefits of it being easily enforced.

Furthermore, since religion is not really a core curriculum, (i don't see many of us taking exams for religion classes and yes i do know that they exist. Furthermore this is talking abt religion in ANOTHER class) I don't think authorities will even be bothered to spend more effort to regulate it with multiple criteria or on a case by case basis. The smarter thing to do is the blanket wide censorship and students are not worst off in any way curriculum wise.

Honestly, I would be more worried if say a teacher is not allowed to say things like "10 things which Hitler has contributed positively to Germany". That would be a more pertinent censorship that WILL affect history students.

Ailia

Nov 11, 2010
Brought up in the context you gave or similar ones, absolutely yes.
Shoving his religion down his students' throats? Absolutely not. The parents who raise points about teachers trying to convert their kids had valid arguments, as it has happened in the past (thus why we have laws now).
But in the right context and for pure discussions value, of course.

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
Tomster595 said:
So my question to you is: Should teachers be allowed to discuss their own religious beliefs in the classroom, and if so under what circumstances? My answer is obviously yes, especially under this circumstance where the teacher was directly asked by a student.
The teacher has a responsibility to facilitate learning and not to push beliefs on students (usually, even if solicited). The teacher's personal opinion runs the risk of being assumed to be "the right answer" by students, and letting students think that way is counterproductive. I'd extend this to other subjects as well, particularly politics. The teacher is supposed to facilitate learning by guiding the students' thinking and discussion, not by issuing a de facto right answer (even if inadvertently).

On the other hand, should we outlaw it outright? Well, unfortunately, there are some circumstances where, with the right teacher and the right class, it may be acceptable to share some of these things. But I'm not sure we can trust the judgment of all teachers to be sound enough to identify those circumstances. An inviolable rule may not fit every scenario, but I think it does more good than harm.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Just as sports commentators put their personal views on hold in order to better describe it, so should teachers.

They have a position of power in the classroom and, even in open discussion, their views have the capacity to be seen as more valid than their students'. And kids can be very impressionable, especially when it comes from an authority figure

They should be instigators and facilitators of discussion, not participants.

Giantpanda602

Oct 16, 2010
My biology teacher has recently said several comments mocking my religion. The topic arose since we are doing evolution and it was mentioned that Darwin carried a Bible with him. But thats perfectly ok. As long as its not a religious belief, let the teacher teach whatever the hell they want.

If teachers can't say anything about their religion, atheism should be included. Stick to the curriculum.

Giantpanda602

Oct 16, 2010
My biology teacher has recently said several comments mocking my religion. The topic arose since we are doing evolution and it was mentioned that Darwin carried a Bible with him. But thats perfectly ok. As long as its not a religious belief, let the teacher teach whatever the hell they want.

If teachers can't say anything about their religion, atheism should be included. Stick to the curriculum.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
i dont think they should come out and tell people but if they are asked or its part of the topic talked about.

cheywoodward

Dec 2, 2009
I voted absolutely yes accidentally but I personally believe that they should be allowed to state their religious beliefs without proselytizing. That's assuming we're talking about public high-schools. Private schools, and universities, are different, and the teacher should be allowed to discuss religious beliefs as long as the student and parents are told that they will be doing so.

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
Labcoat Samurai said:
Tomster595 said:
So my question to you is: Should teachers be allowed to discuss their own religious beliefs in the classroom, and if so under what circumstances? My answer is obviously yes, especially under this circumstance where the teacher was directly asked by a student.
The teacher's personal opinion runs the risk of being assumed to be "the right answer" by students, and letting students think that way is counterproductive.
In my situation, it was a high school senior, an 18 year old, asking specifically for a BELIEF. I feel that at this level, we can certainly separate the teacher's belief from the "correct answer."

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Ideally, it would be situational.

However, the only way to be fair in this world is to be consistent, so it's better for them to check it at the door completely.

deathbyoatmeal

Apr 3, 2011
If the students are old enough and the teacher isn't pushing their beliefs, then sure, its fine. alot of literature definately has religous aspects to it, and these religous aspects deserve to be discussed and analyzed. doing so without interjecting personal beliefs is sometimes difficult, and interjecting personal beliefs about religion can lead to very interesting discussions. However, this should only be the case if the students also get to share and defend their beliefs as well.

Also, this only belongs in language arts classes, not in science.

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
Tomster595 said:
No. Outside the classroom sure why not. But in the classroom it can be construed as proselytizing and violating the first amendment. Kind of why we dont allow prayer in public school as well.

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
deathbyoatmeal said:
Also, this only belongs in language arts classes, not in science.
Yes, I think this is obvious, since there's really no place for opinions at all in science.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
inFAMOUSCowZ said:
I think they should. My teachers do minor religious discussion, in english. It s here that most people found out I'm atheist, and honestly it mainly comes down to me and my teacher talking. Since everyone is is just sitting there.
Hahahaha, that sounds familiar, in that it reminds me of my senior Study of Religion class last year. More often than not I'd end up in a discussion/debate with my Catholic teacher (it was a catholic school, in a class about discussing various religions, so it was a'okay by any standard) about certain aspects of spiritual ideologies and what-not. It was mainly just me and my teacher debating for half the lesson and the rest of the class sitting there thinking "Shut up, Bio!" so loud that I swear I could hear their thoughts. My friends did occasionally pop in to help out one side of the debate or the other, but it was mainly just me.

EDIT: Forgot my On Topic.

OT: Practically? No discussion of religion below 11th Grade (when most people are well and tuly passed that 'easily influenced' stage) to be 'safe', and even after that, keep it to relevant discussions (so don't go bringing up your religion for no reason, but if it applies to the topic at hand, by all means). Ideally? As long as you are doing it in an appropriate context and you aren't creating an environment where alternative beliefs are shot-down or frowned upon, then it should be fine.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I think it was a human civ class I took a couple of semesters ago that the teacher was great because she used her religious knowledge of the bible to provide a familiar context to many of the myths and deities that have existed through human history. It was a very fascinating class that was greatly aided by her background in bible studies. Never once did she try to push her religion on us; in fact on the first day of class she walked in and wrote three things on the board; saying before hand "for the purposes of this class and my sanity these three things will be treated as fact for the *checks watch* hour and fifteen minutes I have you on Tuesdays and Thursdays."

1) Evolution happened
2) Global Warming is real
3) Even the Bible will be referred to as a collection of myths

Followed up by "And before you ask, I am in charge of the Bible studies at the Baptist church in town." This teacher was, for lack of a better term, da shiz-nit. She had a PHD, looked eerily like Meryl Streep, and was slightly insane. I'd have signed up for her Bible as Literature class had I not transferred to a different school the next fall.

So, on topic. Yes, I think if it can be relevant and be used to further the learning experience of a course a teacher should be allowed to dip into their religious beliefs as lecture material.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
If the teacher works for a privately owned and operated school where the school is accountable to the parents who pay tuition and the school itself doubtless has its own educational philosophy and policy, sure, talk about your religious beliefs all you want.

If the teacher works for a government-funded and operated school where the school is accountable to "the taxpayers" because those people are required to fund the school whether they want to or not and whether they approve of it's academic policies or not AND legally required to send the children they can probably not afford to send anywhere else due to the increasingly burdensome taxes and more taxes and even more taxes, then no.

Which is among the reasons why there shouldn't be government schools.