Poll: Teaching a giggling gaggle of girls how to use guns

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
when i was being taught marksmanship i was part of a group of 20 we started out with class room theory and had to know the rules and the basics of marksmanship and safety and whatnot then we went out to the range and there were 10 lanes on the range and 3 instructors discipline was key it was a disciplined group anyway given the context but one breach of the firearms safety rules and you were off the range for that day

anyway we went though our 25 rounds and pulled back the targets and the instructors would give us instructions on how to improve additionally as we were shooting the instructors would watch our poses breathing and the like and correct us between targets because we were after groupings not bullseyes anyway once we had done a couple of sets of targets we would stand back and observe the next group fire off their sets and then we would have another 2 or 3 sets

one day we finished and were counting up expenditure ended up with a number of 3000+ rounds fired off that day

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Yeah mate I wouldn't go for it, it's bad enough trying to belt some sort of basic knowledge through people who intend to use it, for people who have no reason to listen to you and who will likely get offended if you call them a fuckwit for looking down the barrel to clear their weapon, it is a headache that no reasonable person needs. Direct'em to paintball so they can live out their 'gunz'r cool' fantasies without bothering people who have to actually use them.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
So one of my hobbies is firearms, I own a few guns, and really enjoy shooting, and teaching my friends to shoot. I've taught all of my friends how to shoot handguns and rifles at the local shooting range, and they've all enjoyed the experience. My friend's girlfriend's birthday is coming up, and she wants me to take her and a few of her friends to the shooting range and teach them how to shoot.

Now my friend and his girlfriend planned this whole thing out without me, and sprung it on me just the other day. Apparently they've already set a date and time, and invited 6 other people to come with us, all college age girls who have no experience with firearms. I've never taught that many people before at once, usually when I teach people to shoot I do it one on one, and I have no idea how I'm going to be teaching this massive group of people how to not blow their heads off and shoot one another. Any ideas about how to keep everyone's attention and make sure they remember the things I tell them?
Start off with the big three, never point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot, keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire, and always treat a gun as if it was loaded. I recently taught a group of 12-14 year old girls about guns for my brother-in-law (my niece wanted to learn to shoot like her dad, and I'm a certified instructor) and it went well. If they are interested in learning about guns, trust me they will pay attention. Keep an eye out though, if they lose interest and aren't paying attention don't allow them to shoot first. Let one of the girls who paid attention shoot, and then do some one on one work with the girl who wasn't paying attention (at the point that guns are being fired, I am sure she is ready to pay attention or give up her turn at shooting).

Captcha: public good

That's right captcha, this is for the good of the public (meant as a joke, not meant to invoke a political discussion as to if guns are right.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Other than that bring a lot of patience, and remember: NO tip or detail is too insignificant no matter how much it may seem like a given to you.
Second that.

Also, IMHO, it would help if you explained why you are explaining everything like that, not because you think they are stupid, but because it's essential to make sure everyone knows.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
James Joseph Emerald said:
I think there's something you're overlooking, on account of you being very used to guns.
I'm from Ireland, so my first experience ever even holding a real gun was at a firing range in Arizona.
And let me tell you, as someone unused to guns, it was sobering as fuck!
I was all excited to play with real guns, like some sort of a badass. I even wore fingerless SWAT gloves.
But when I went into the range, where the guns are deafening even with ear protection (not like in movies and games), and actually felt the explosive force of the gunshot reverberate through my teeth...

I would be very surprised if those girls continue to giggle and goof off once they're actually there.
This.

Seriously, they're college girls not preschoolers. Give them some credit.

I'm a pretty laid back woman, but actually holding a firearm would scare me shitless. I don't see why everyone is assuming that these women are idiots. Really, people, are you trying to turn this into another sexism thread?

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
I think there's something you're overlooking, on account of you being very used to guns.

I'm from Ireland, so my first experience ever even holding a real gun was at a firing range in Arizona.
I was all excited to play with real guns, like some sort of a badass. I even wore fingerless SWAT gloves.
But when I went into the range, where the guns are deafening even with ear protection (not like in movies and games), and actually felt the explosive force of the gunshot reverberate through my teeth...

I would be very surprised if those girls continue to giggle and goof off once they're actually there.
E-FUCKING-xactly. First time I went to the shooting range with my brother, he taught me how to aim, shoot, proper loading procedure etc. But when we got into the range, feeling the shots vibrate through every part of my body was unsettling. When I finally got the gun in my hand, I was shaking way too much out of nervousness. After the first shots, I was surprised how easy it was to aim and squeeze. It was almost scary. Made me think people can easily use these things to kill because they are just so quick to pick up. After emptying the magazine into the target (got half in the 10 ring) I was supposed to load it myself. I was too shaken up to focus on getting the bullets in the magazine.

So if there is anything to get out of this, it is that if you decide to go through with this they won't be a gaggle of giggling girls when they have to hold the weapon.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
For me at least it's more their naivety. Like I said before, he can't assume they'll know anything until he actually meets them, regardless of gender. Safer for everyone if he's expecting/prepared for the worst. At least then he can be pleasantly surprised.
But that's just me.
Naivety doesn't mean stupid. Or careless. And again, these are college aged women not children.

And, again, guns are sobering. You could drop it and kill yourself or someone else. In my (and the person I quoted's) experience, people who aren't familiar with guns are rarely careless with them - they're scared of them.

OP: Treat them like adults and they will do the same. Guns are serious - make that clear if it doesn't seem to be, and I doubt you will have a problem.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
For me at least it's more their naivety. Like I said before, he can't assume they'll know anything until he actually meets them, regardless of gender. Safer for everyone if he's expecting/prepared for the worst. At least then he can be pleasantly surprised.

But that's just me.
The title refers to them as a giggling gaggle of girls, though. That's pretty gender specific. The actual OP doesn't make such a big deal of it though.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:

This.

I'm a pretty laid back woman, but actually holding a firearm would scare me shitless. I don't see why everyone is assuming that these women are idiots. Really, people, are you trying to turn this into another sexism thread?
Don't worry. I have little faith in college student regardless of sex.

Its not the sex or age that worries me, its the fact that this group lesson is attached to a birthday.

In a normal training environment, most people are serious. The worry is if a bunch of young people, celebrating a birthday, can put that aside for 8 hours and actually focus on something deathly serious and shut the hell up.

Hell, some fully grown people can't do that.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
Don't worry. I have little faith in college student regardless of sex.
**giggle** Fair enough.

AccursedTheory said:
In a normal training environment, most people are serious. The worry is if a bunch of young people, celebrating a birthday, can put that aside for 8 hours and actually focus on something deathly serious and shut the hell up.
Hell, some fully grown people can't do that.
Mmm. I still think that "guns are scary" trumps "birthday party".

Unless they've been drinking. I'm assuming sober participants here.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Bara_no_Hime said:

Best to prepare for the worst. Chances are that these women are perfectly sensible, but he should prepare for the fact that these could be giggling airheads, just in case. If it was a group of college dudes, he should prepare as if they're idiotic frat boys as well. It's best to consider all the terrible scenarios that could happen when handling guns, so that you'll be best prepared in the unlikely event that they do.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
^What he said^

Age and education no indication of maturity. That depends entirely upon the individual, and he doesn't know these girls yet. And even people who do take guns seriously (or think they do) can end-up making mistakes. People don't always appreciate the gravity of the situation like you would, even when they are sober.
I've seen West Pointer's negligently discharge their firearms (Once, I saw a Captain fire his pistol twice into the ground, the first time because he though his pistol was empty, the second because he racked and cleared his pistol's chamber before removing the magazine), and veteran infantry aim cocked and loaded M249s (Light Machine Gun), M240s (Medium Machine Gun), and M203s (GRENADE launchers) at each other without thinking about it.

My brother pointed a pistol at my chest no less then 10 seconds after I stopped explaining pistol safety rules to him and handed him the pistol. I nearly broke his arm.

The point being, everyone makes mistakes. And if those kinds of people are making them, just think what college kids will do.

EDIT: No arguments her about your post. Just providing examples.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
no clue as this is never a problem here, since everyone and their grandmother knows how to feild strip their weapon and most are markman qualified.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
I don't think it will be as bad as you envision, I was in the military and some of the retards I had with me during basic training still managed to not kill themselves or anyone even though it was 10-15 to 1 drill sergeant. Just keep them away, go over basic safety rules and if they can't pay attention or don't care about that then ask them to leave. It's that simple. Also, I'd make them pay you for the ammo since you are being kind enough to teach for free.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I wouldn't do, only because of the fact that I loathe being volunteered by anyone for anything without being asked first; especially if they want me to do something for free and use up my own materials in the process.

If you do plan to do it, it probably wont be as bad as you are imagining. Treat them like adults, and they'll probably act in-kind. Don't be afraid to repeat what you think is necessary, as many times as you think it needs to be said to sink in to their skulls. Stick to one-at-a-time instruction and make sure none of them have been drinking or have brought alcohol to consume 'during' the lesson. If they do bring alcohol, tell them to start their party after, not during. If they refuse to follow the common sense rule of 'no drinking or being drunk while handling weapons', end your lesson.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
AccursedTheory said:
Oh, man. Everyone's going to be so pissed at you.

Basically, the best way to do this (If I were you, I'd just refuse to participate. This is an accident waiting to happen) is to basically do it like your always do: one at a time. Start with a group class and go over all the safety stuff, then go over the actual gun basics (What weapon they're firing today, show its action, show how it should be handled, go over proper form and trigger pull and breathing and etc), and then go over safety again. Then, when it comes to actually shooting, take people one at a time up to the firing lane, go over it all again and walk them through firing, then switch out with the next person.

Its going to be boring. They're going to want to talk, and really, there's not much you can do to stop it, which is why you have to do one on one as well as group classes. And no one is going to be pleased. But at the end of the day, everyone should have a basic understanding of firearms, and hopefully, no one will be dead.

Who cares if they didn't have fun?
This is the best idea. Seriously, if they didn't consult you it's there own damn fault if it's not the gun toting Predator deforestation scene they expect. At the end of the day that's what actual responsible gun ownership is about, safety.

And you should absolutely not execute anyone failing to adhere to your rules as an example to the others.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Keoul said:
I vote you have a meeting before that date.
Meet all of them and then decide whether you can actually train em or not, at the very least it'll give you time to figure out how doomed you are and whether or not you should bail. Also you may be able to get some of the safety lessons out of the way but I doubt they'll pay attention long enough.
I second this.

So you let them know it's not going to be a movie scene, for one. Then explain to them some stuff in advance, so that they will at least know not to wave the things around in advance, and know to not take the weapons easily, so that the recoil doesn't make them bash themselves on the head.

It seems to me that it's going to be an anticlimactic experience for the giggling gang that might be expecting some Rambo-style badassery and getting anything but; but that's not your fault, and if you let them know that in advance, they have no grounds to accuse you of making anything "boring" or "ruining the party" because you "have a stick up your ass".