Poll: That old dillema! Blind or Deaf?

Ti0k0

Jun 22, 2011
We have all thought about it once in our life, and now I ask you:

WOULD YOU RATHER BE DEAF OR BLIND?
(No, you're not born with it, what if it would happen RIGHT now, for the rest of your life)

I would rather be deaf, because you can still read and participate in society when you are deaf. But don't think of it too lightly; Deaf means you will never be able to listen to music again, and never have that much fun at festivals and concert!

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Deaf! You can still feel the vibration...
And people who are yelling at you don't matter that much anymore.

Still it is very very very very serious illness/genetic defect/whateverthing and I rather have some sort of tyroid cancer or something.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Easily deaf. Blindness would be a *****, and as much I pride myself on knowing everything that happens in the house via my ears, my eyes still facilitate things like fun.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ti0k0 said:
I would rather be deaf, because you can still read and participate in society when you are deaf.
And blind people are...What? Lepers?

Blind. I'm an aural learner, and aside from video games most of my hobbies have more of an aural emphasis.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
deaf, because i could always just learn to read lips or hang out with people who can sign.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Deaf.

I could still play my games and do everything I do now if I lost my hearing. I'd be lost without my sight ... quite literally.

Music isn't important to me but being able to see is.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Easily deaf. I'm sure it would suck more than I expect and require a lot of adjusting, but it's nothing compared to the never ending nightmare that being blinded must be.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
I'd rather be deaf. I don't trust people with the safety of my dick and 'nads. If I was blind, I'd always be walking around with my hand covering my groin.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TrilbyWill said:
deaf, because i could always just learn to read lips or hang out with people who can sign.
Reading Lips is actually pretty hard, especially when you have nothing aural to back it up.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Very very tough decision.

If blind I would miss seeing the world.
And everyone that inhabits it.
Also no more reading and all that.

If deaf, there would be no more music, not even the faintest sound.
Honestly I'd rather commit suicide than going through life without sound.

I'd go for blind, it would hurt me deeply, but I would find a way to deal with it.
...Sunglasses are awesome!

Ti0k0

Jun 22, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Ti0k0 said:
I would rather be deaf, because you can still read and participate in society when you are deaf.
And blind people are...What? Lepers?

Yeah, yeah, I had that coming :p
I decided not to go further into that, but of course blind people are not lepers. What I meant was that blind people need more adaptions to continue their normal life and will more easily become socially excluded than deaf people.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
TrilbyWill said:
Reading Lips is actually pretty hard, especially when you have nothing aural to back it up.
fair enough. but it would be a lot more difficult if i can't see.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
Definitely deafness. Either would suck, but I'd hate to not be able to see. It would be soul crushing. Deafness would really suck too though, especially since I'm a bassist. Ah well, you know what they say, nobody hears bass anyway.

lollypopalopicus

Feb 5, 2011
depends on the cause of deafness because if its just damage to the three small bones in the ear i can just get surgery

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ti0k0 said:
Yeah, yeah, I had that coming :p
I decided not to go further into that, but of course blind people are not lepers. What I meant was that blind people need more adaptions to continue their normal life and will more easily become socially excluded than deaf people.
Not really true.

Sorry if I'm taking this a little more seriously than you, but I can chuck a stone and hit a school for the deaf. There is a HUGE deaf community here, and I bet about half would either be offended or mock you for the relative ease you ascribe to it.

And I mean no offense, it's just...I'm looking at this from a slightly less specious point of view.

TrilbyWill said:
fair enough. but it would be a lot more difficult if i can't see.
Way harder to lip read, yes.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Blind. Sure, not being able to see will be hard, but let me put it like this; I'm going to a university in music composition. And besides, does nobody realize just how much sound means to us? Be it a movie, a game, or real life, sound is an integral and important part of everything.

So yeah, I'd rather be blind than deaf. I'm no Beethoven.

galdon2004

Mar 7, 2009
Deaf; Everything I enjoy requires sight, while sound is almost always optional. Wouldn't want either but i'd be much more effected by the loss of sight since i couldn't do my job, talk to my online friends, or play games, which among the three make up most of my time spent.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Deaf. I already suffer from aspergers syndrome. It'd suck but if I got blind I'd be unable to do just about anything I would like to. I'd commit suicide within the first week.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Deaf. While I'd certainly miss having music in my life, I still think life would be much easier and enjoyable having sight.