Poll: The Best Time-Travel Movie

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
I'm going with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time too. Though I recently watched it again and foud it pretty dull the second time around, it still has my favorite use of time travel in a movie.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Aylaine said:
Auron225 said:
SNOOP DOG
Agreed on all parts. I actually need to see if they have an English version of it out now. :)
King of Asgaard said:
Despite the gaping plot holes, BTTF is an awesome time travel trilogy.
Aylaine said:
The Girl who Leapt Through Time is my favorite, as of right now. I love the way time travel works in this movie. I watched it on a recommendation from a friend, and it's the best time travel movie as well as animated movie I have seen so far. :)
Also this. Such a great film.
I...IM NOT ALONE. <3

It's refreshing to see people who like that movie too! Most of the people I ask just tilt their heads. :)

Also, an update: I watched Looper. Without a doubt one of the better time travel films I've seen. Probably second or third to TGWLTT. :)
I completely understand this. Not one person I talk to aside from my brother has ever heard of this little gem.
What I like the most about it is how it portrays time travel. It is pretty much exactly how I would want to time travel. No one time use magic spell or time machine, just jump to another time.
Also, it has one of the few female protagonists who's done well, to the point where I care about what happens to her.

krodux

Jul 15, 2012
Time Chasers (also known as Tangents)! A proud member of the "so bad it's good" family of indie films. I think this is my favorite time travel movie because the plot is so ridiculous, the villain is stupidly evil and even though it's a crappy film, you can really tell the cast and crew put a lot of effort into it.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I'm confused... Are you asking for a good movie with time travel or a movie with good time travel.

The Back to the Future franchise was a good, but had horrible time travel.
The Terminator franchise and 12 Monkeys were mediocre, but with good time travel.

Captcha: bowties are cool ... Wrong, Captcha. Wrong.
Bowties are stupid! Multicolored scarves. That's what cool is.

SodaDew

Sep 28, 2009
I would say Back to the Future, closely fallowed by The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. If it was not only movies I would say Quantum Leap.

Wolf-AUS

Feb 13, 2010
I thought looper was a really great movie.

As for my favourite, I'm not 100% sure what's my favourite, but I really enjoyed The Time Traveller's Wife. I thought that was a good movie.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
My favorite of those would be the first Terminator. Although not for the time travel; I just think it's the best movie of those (from what I've seen/remember, anyway).

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
You did NOT just create a thread about time travel movies and leave out The Time Machine.

That's like asking for an Alien Invasion movie and leaving out War of the Worlds or the best vampire movie and leaving off Dracula... Naw just kidding, it's cool I get it.

Well 12 Monkey's is the very best TT movie in my opinion. I love the way it cleverly combines time travel and mental insanity resulting in a sort of solipsism for the protaginist only to shatter the bubble at the end. A bit artsy fartsy at times but the movie's intelligent and clever enough to make it feel warranted and the actors really sell the premise well.

I also liked a little film called Time Crimes, a low budget flick that explores the concept quite interestingly with several cool twists and things that require re-watching. The hard part of recommending a time travel movie is often that it's hard to explain what's good about it without spoiling all the neat twists and that's definitely true of Time Crimes. Let's just say the protagonist becomes his own worst enemy.

Primer is a great little rubiks cube of a movie. One of those ones everyone should see just because of how different it is. That movie makes Memento look strait forward, but even outside it's deliberately convoluted plot it's actually a pretty good movie for it's realistic take on time travel and the overall message it gives.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
TheIronRuler said:
Axolotl said:
TheIronRuler said:
12 Monkeys was just an evil movie.
What? Seriously what was evil about 12 Monkeys?
It fucks with your mind. Ni hope, no chance for reversal, just the inevitable. I would have been angry at the movie if I didn't like it so much.
That's part of what makes it so great. There are very few stories in movies/books/games where the bad guy wins, and while it feels weird, it's also good because it rarely happens. Sometimes, you get sick of the hero always winning, it gets boring. It's what killed Superman for me, you KNOW he's ALWAYS going to win.

So 12 Monkeys is my vote.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
12 Monkeys is my choice. My man love for Bruce Willis aside, it's time travel the way I think it would be.
That we can't change anything and if we try we only cause what we're trying to prevent.
As mentioned above, it's too artsy for my fancy, and I'm not sure if I like the female protagonist(can't recall her name) or not, however I still enjoy watching the movie a lot.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I love Back to the Future is a ridiculously fun trilogy and I've watched it too many times to count, but my favourite has to be 12 Monkeys because that film had me gripped from beginning to end, and the twists were wonderful, also I loved Brad Pit's performance in that film, also loved the whole let's call it "psychological" aspect to not spoil anything, seriously I loved that thing, it had me guessing from beginning to end.

Aylaine said:
The Girl who Leapt Through Time is my favorite, as of right now. I love the way time travel works in this movie. I watched it on a recommendation from a friend, and it's the best time travel movie as well as animated movie I have seen so far. :)
Huh... I keep hearing about this film, I don't really know much about it other than it's animated and apparently very good, it seems like I must watch this film.

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
Aylaine said:
What a coincidence. I'm going to go see Looper in a few hours! xD

I'm totally psyched now, like a Yuri Prime. :D

I saw bits of 'The Girl who Leapt Through Time', and from what I saw it was fairly good. Personally, I enjoy the 'Back to the Future' series, with Terminator 2 coming in a close second.

And, I spy with my little eye, a Red Alert 2 reference...

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Aylaine said:
Dammit, I was gonna say that! Brilliant movie. Even my mom liked it, and she usually doesn't like the movies I like. Sure, my dad fell asleep, but that's my dad for you >.>

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I voted Primer. They do what most people would do with a time machine.

Looper plot thingy
Why did the loooper need to close their own loop? Why couldn't they use another looper?

With the directions that movie could have gone I was disappointed.

At the end shouldn't the old Joe remember that he causes the Rainmaker and lowered his gun because his younger self realizes that's what happens when he shoots?

Or

The Old Joe shots causing the rainmaker plot. Young Joe shots Old Joe. Young Joe lives his life until he is kidnapped and overpowerers the guard going to spend him back in time he chooses to go back to his childhood instead of when his hit is (If that's possible. I can't see why not.) and stops himself from becoming a looper.

Loop broken.