Poll: The Best Time-Travel Movie

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
The original Time Machine was one of my favorites. It detailed changes in time and showed how much things can change in 100 years. Love it.

Course I'm a science geek so it may not appeal to everyone.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
OlasDAlmighty said:
Well 12 Monkey's is the very best TT movie in my opinion.
DanielBrown said:
12 Monkeys is my choice.
I don't mean to pick on you two specifically, but anyone who picked 12 Monkeys should be ashamed of themselves! Not only was it dull, drawn out, too dark and a complete waste of the awesomesauce that is the Willis, but the original short film it is based on had a much, MUCH more atmospheric feel to it, and unlike the tripe that 12 Monkeys was, La Jetee told you everything you needed to know, and got the entire story wrapped up nicely in just 25 minutes! And without that absurd mental institution scene to boot! Have a look for yourselves, then hang your heads in shame!

/rant.

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
I think 12 Monkeys is probably the best time travel movie. Back to the Future's time travel was poorly executed, even though I loved it, and the rules of time travel changed in every Terminator movie. 12 Monkeys was consistent and well written, so I've got to vote for it.

Oh, also really entertaining - Donnie Darko. Weird as hell, but I was laughing.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Elmoth said:
EHKOS said:
TheIronRuler said:
Axolotl said:
TheIronRuler said:
12 Monkeys was just an evil movie.
What? Seriously what was evil about 12 Monkeys?
It fucks with your mind. Ni hope, no chance for reversal, just the inevitable. I would have been angry at the movie if I didn't like it so much.
That's part of what makes it so great. There are very few stories in movies/books/games where the bad guy wins, and while it feels weird, it's also good because it rarely happens. Sometimes, you get sick of the hero always winning, it gets boring. It's what killed Superman for me, you KNOW he's ALWAYS going to win.

So 12 Monkeys is my vote.
Actually we see the female scientist at the end in the plane where the man with the disease ends up. She says: "I'm insurance." She gets the information they need to combat the disease in the future. It's only a bad ending for the main character.
I was under the impression she didn't know who it was. I thought she said "I'm IN insurance" as in her career. I may have to go back and watch that bit.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Argh, I have seen all th movies listed and yet I can't even remember any of them enough to make a proper comparison.
So I am just going to go with 12 Monkeys.
The other are too juvenile or too much emphasis on shooting.

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
Looper was damn good. An extremely interesting movie, marked by very strong performances from two excellent actors. As far as serious time travel movies go, that has to be my favourite. I think I might prefer Back to the Future on the whole, though, as it was just so much fun, and something I could happily watch time and time again!

Bucky01

Sep 28, 2010
considering i haven't seen half of your list i can't exactly compare them. but i am a bit of a fan of most time travel related movies so I'll have to be on the lookout for them :D

I'd have to choose the back to the future trilogy since i practically grew up watching them on VHS with terminator 2 coming in close second. however not on the list I'd also put in the time machine as third. how ever my favourite concept of time travel (so far) would be from the 'Red vs Blue' machinima series (episode 50 if i recall)

nomzy

Jan 29, 2010
Jamash said:
My favourite "light" time-travel film is Les Visiteurs:

My favourite serious time-travel film, and probably my favourite Sci-Fi film is The Man From Earth:

Some may argue that it's not really a time-travel film, but I think it qualifies as it's about the experiences of someone from one time period set against the backdrop of another time period, it's just that the protagonist travels forward through time at a ratio of 1:1.
Oh man I fucking love that movie. It's sad that very few people (that I know of) have seen it. Hell, I'd never even heard of it 'till a friend recommended it to me after seeing it because he clicked on a random link on IMDB.
Anyway OT:
I'm gonna say Back to the Future.. But I suspect that's because of the rose tinted nostalgia goggles.
Haven't seen any of the films in ages.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I voted other, a little known comedy film, Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel is probably my favourite, filmed on a budget of about £3.67p starring Chris O'Dowd and Anna Farris, it is very enjoyabe and should be checked out by people.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910554/

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Where's Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure?

You can't have a legitimate time travel poll without Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure!!!