Poll: The Best Time-Travel Movie

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
So last night I saw the film Looper with some friends, and by God was I impressed. It took a really interesting take on time travel (I won't explain the plot, there's wikipedia for that), and it really got me thinking of all the other time-travel movies I'd seen, to which I realized how much I apparently enjoy the sub-genre.

So Escapists, what is your favorite time-travel film?

(Obviously there are a lot, so I'll just list a few of the bigger-named films in the poll. For the time-travel series, just get specific in the comments)

Esotera

May 5, 2011
It's got to be Back to the Future, with 12 Monkeys coming in a close second. I'm also going to say that Jumper was pretty good, even though that was more about teleportation he would technically have been time-travelling due to breaking the laws of relativity...

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo, Looper had one good concept but when you try and put it in the real world you have to ask - why the fuck won't they do the infinite other activities you can do with this device? I mean - it's already illegal, what's stopping people (criminals) from doing what the hell they wanted? It's so narrow in the way it looks at the concept.

12 Monkeys was just an evil movie.
Planet of the Apes made little sense to me.
Terminator was the epiphany of a mediocre movie made on a flimsy budget (Thus making it even more awesome) getting over-hyped and having three more sequels added to it after it became a bloody cult classic.
Primer had a very neat system but suffered a bit from its structure. Yes, not exploding car chases and titties flying around, but it still lacked something.
StarTrek? seriously?

dfb1999

Oct 7, 2012
I voted Terminator because as a franchise, I feel it upholds its vision of time travel very well, handling and working with the flaws that might be present in sending back 3 murderous robots

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
TheIronRuler said:
StarTrek? seriously?
I checked some 'Top 20' lists online in case I'd forgotten any obvious choices. Star Trek appeared on every list, however, I've only seen one Star Trek movie in my life.

It's such a huge brand name I assumed I would get called out for not including it or something. My ignorance shines.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
SanAndreasSmoke said:
TheIronRuler said:
StarTrek? seriously?
I checked some 'Top 20' lists online in case I'd forgotten any obvious choices. Star Trek appeared on every list, however, I've only seen one Star Trek movie in my life.

It's such a huge brand name I assumed I would get called out for not including it or something. My ignorance shines.
There is time travel in Star Trek but it's... eh... just watch it yourself. You'll see what I'm trying to tell you.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
To go with my love of cheesy movies.

The sequel to Waxwork is my favourite time travel movie.

Waxwork 2 - Lost in Time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105792/

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Back to the Future is probably my favorite movie where the plot revolves entirely around time travel, but Terminator 2: Judgement Day is one of my favorite movies of all time so I'd have to say Terminator.

This also helps:

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
My favourite "light" time-travel film is Les Visiteurs:

Some people may be more familiar with it's more modern re-make, Just Visiting (which isn't too bad, as far as unnecessary American re-makes go), but the original is much better.

My favourite serious time-travel film, and probably my favourite Sci-Fi film is The Man From Earth:

Some may argue that it's not really a time-travel film, but I think it qualifies as it's about the experiences of someone from one time period set against the backdrop of another time period, it's just that the protagonist travels forward through time at a ratio of 1:1.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Back to the Future, hands down... though Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is pretty good too.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Aylaine said:
The Girl who Leapt Through Time is my favorite, as of right now. I love the way time travel works in this movie. I watched it on a recommendation from a friend, and it's the best time travel movie as well as animated movie I have seen so far. :)
I'd agree with this =) If time travel existed, Id like to imagine that this is how it would work. I normally avoid anything involving time travel like the plague but it made sense in this one!

EDIT: Its also just an awesome movie! In succeeded in making me laugh out loud at something that happened, and 10 minutes later making me say "Oh shit!" out loud... at 1am when everyone else in the house was asleep. No film has ever done that!

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Despite the gaping plot holes, BTTF is an awesome time travel trilogy.
Aylaine said:
The Girl who Leapt Through Time is my favorite, as of right now. I love the way time travel works in this movie. I watched it on a recommendation from a friend, and it's the best time travel movie as well as animated movie I have seen so far. :)
Also this. Such a great film.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
I'll go with Back to the Future.

But for some obscure fun, Doug Campbell's The Tomorrow Man is also pretty good.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Axolotl said:
TheIronRuler said:
12 Monkeys was just an evil movie.
What? Seriously what was evil about 12 Monkeys?
It fucks with your mind. Ni hope, no chance for reversal, just the inevitable. I would have been angry at the movie if I didn't like it so much.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I bias to say Back to the Future (I grew up watching those films!) despite that time travel theory is unlikely to be real (the whole you will disappear if you mess up your parent meeting each other).