Poll: The Best (Western) RPG Series of All Time

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
RaeveSpam said:
Why is the Witcher not on this list? :(
It is on the list, you great girl's blouse. I just couldn't put it in the POLL, because the POLL was limited to 7 options.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
I suppose it's ok, however i'm still unsure how it's possible to chose series consisting of 3 (literally : three) mildly known games over franchise with 9 parts not counting spin-offs, that practically dominated cRPGing during it's "Xeen" phase and inspired numerous followers.

BTW : I may be wrong but (among many other) the concept of acquiring and upgrading private stronghold was introduced by none other than M&M series, so we have a lot to thank it for. ;)
Fairly argued. I've added Might and Magic to the list of nominees. Better late than never.

RaeveSpam

May 27, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
RaeveSpam said:
It is on the list, you great girl's blouse. I just couldn't put it in the POLL, because the POLL was limited to 7 options.
But I want to vote D:

"great girl's blouse", that I never expected to be called o_O
now I see that it actually has a definition, and it isn't nice :(

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
RaeveSpam said:
Oh don't listen to the urban dictionary. It's the gentlest chide in the world. Who wouldn't want to be a girl's blouse?

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Based on my experience, I have to vote for Fallout, with Mass Effect being a close second.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
JesterRaiin said:
I suppose it's ok, however i'm still unsure how it's possible to chose series consisting of 3 (literally : three) mildly known games over franchise with 9 parts not counting spin-offs, that practically dominated cRPGing during it's "Xeen" phase and inspired numerous followers.

BTW : I may be wrong but (among many other) the concept of acquiring and upgrading private stronghold was introduced by none other than M&M series, so we have a lot to thank it for. ;)
Fairly argued. I've added Might and Magic to the list of nominees. Better late than never.
Cheers ! :)

http://promotehealth.info/wp-content/uploads/2356643811_822cce71f6_o.jpg

Might and Magic then !

On the lesser known fact about M&M. By copying some files from both 4th and 5th installments of this game to one folder one could play "World of Xeen". The idea was simple - by using some "lifts" whole party was teleported from one world to other.

I'd become f*cking devout man in exchange for a possiblity to do it with Skyrim and Morrowind. :(

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Other! Other! I'm going to go for Might and Magic. I've yet to play the earlier ones, but 7 especially has to be one of my favourite games ever!

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
RaeveSpam said:
I have no idea who you are, but I now have great respect for you. I'm adding that to my common vocabulary.

OT: Mass Effect. Now to raise this shield against those who would burn me for voting that, calling out ME2 as something that is not an RPG...

If I had played Baldur's Gate, I'd probably voted for that. Also, the Witcher 2 might of been my back up if I had played more of it.

cgaWolf

Apr 16, 2009
Go Team Ultima \o/ preferably I-IV;

- that said, Planescape: Torment is (IMO) the best of the D&D bunch (Baldur's, NWN, PST & the old TSR ones);

- not giving my voice to TES due to a) Skyrim being to new, so my current infatuation messes with my vote & b) Oblivion leveling & scaling system (also c) horrific Daggerfall localisation, though i by now have forgiven Bethesda for that ^^)

- Witcher 1&2 as well as Gothic 1&2 i hold in very high regard, even if both of them suffer from UX design issues; if Witcher brings in a 3rd installement comparable to 1&2, i'll consider its entry into best series; whereas Gothic denied itself that with #3 & 4.

- I'm not sure i'd call Mass Effect an RPG series; Dragon Age's 2nd installenet had narrative problems at the beginning; Bard's Tale & Wizardry i liked, but they hardly qualify as "best ever".

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Alphonse_Lamperouge said:
what is wrong with you people?

Baldur's Gate, a million times over.

Shadows of Amn gave us not only one of the greatest villains of all time, but had some amazing voice acting (for its time).

personally, i thought its dragon battles where more thrilling than even Skyrims....and they didn't happen so often as to be redundant.

not to mention the unforgettable characters, huge scale of the final battle, and IMOEN...im still in love.

its easy to see why game devs voted it as the greatest video game ever made.

oh and Boo, who could forget Boo?
This is all true. It's over 10 years old now yet still holds up so well, one of the best games ever.

RaeveSpam

May 27, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
RaeveSpam said:
Oh don't listen to the urban dictionary. It's the gentlest chide in the world. Who wouldn't want to be a girl's blouse?
Hmm.. Being a girl's blouse would mean more contact with boobs than any man ever could hope for :p

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
Mass effect, never has a role ever played so well, and it enbodies eveything the west is about, guns and and banging aliens.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Tin Man said:
Also, isn't one daft poll that TES is clearly going to win enough?
TES is only going to win because a game from that series was the latest blockbuster to be released.

As far as series go, my vote is for BG, of course, but PS:T still takes the cake in individual games rankings.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Tin Man said:
Also, isn't one daft poll that TES is clearly going to win enough?
Daft poll! If you were here, I would slap your face. I did my best to get all the principal series in there. It's not like that OTHER poll, with a bunch of random games slapped together in a spurious "best game of all time" poll. THIS poll is scientifically rigorous![footnote]No actual science was employed in the creation of this poll[/footnote]

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
endtherapture said:
Alphonse_Lamperouge said:
what is wrong with you people?

Baldur's Gate, a million times over.

Shadows of Amn gave us not only one of the greatest villains of all time, but had some amazing voice acting (for its time).

personally, i thought its dragon battles where more thrilling than even Skyrims....and they didn't happen so often as to be redundant.

not to mention the unforgettable characters, huge scale of the final battle, and IMOEN...im still in love.

its easy to see why game devs voted it as the greatest video game ever made.

oh and Boo, who could forget Boo?
This is all true. It's over 10 years old now yet still holds up so well, one of the best games ever.
Well, it's all true except the Imoen part. I HATED that whiny little snot. Dropped her from my party at the first opportunity.