Poll: The End of the Used Game Resale is Nigh! (bring out your dead .. Ding)

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Sansha said:
Xanthious said:
Sansha said:
The bottom line is the tired "used games are hurting the gaming industry" diatribe that the industry and it's apologists keep spouting is absolute and total bullshit. Even if it wasn't that's their problem not ours as consumers. However, it's all just pointless speculation at this point because used sales aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Actually the bottom line is simply that video games are a luxury and if you can't afford it
Guess what, I can afford it, completely legally, used. I'm am fully entitled (your sorts favorite word) to buy the game used.

You honestly believe that prices would come down if the used market died? Well that's just stupid, they'd remain as they are. EA is extremely unlikely to say "well they stopped buying used, lets knock the price down". They'll go "well competition is dead, we can keep the prices artificially high forever" whilst putting out PR about pirates or some other scapegoat as to why prices haven't come down.

As the guy you posted put it, it's their business model, it's not up to me to worry about it.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
You do have the right unless its specifically stated by the compant that you cant.

so yeah I enjoy used games, and hope tehy stay. theyre a cheap alternative for those that dont like to wait for amazon shipping (in contrast to buying a new game).

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
Macemaster said:
if they were to block used game, piracy would rise
Well that is the irony, technically you couldn't play online with a pirated game, no matter what you did to the console. But you are right in one way, if you make it impossible to sell the game, then people will not be as willing to want to buy the game, but they still will want to play it, so they will find some way.

Every lock has a pick... every console has a guy with chip you can solder in, it will just be a matter of time.

However, when you use the internet to verify that a copy of a program is legit, it pretty much makes it impossible to play online unless you were to hack the server that verifies the copies of the game, and then insert a set of keys that you made your self, but I would imagine that would be kind of hard to pull off.

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
Jove said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
I just traded my copy of Skyrim into GameStop
You...you...you monster! :< how could you!?
You use to play Skyrim till you took a GameStop to the Knee ...

(waah waah .. so over used.. maybe someone else has a better one?)

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Not this bullshit again. Until the next consoles have been officially announced and we actually know what they can and can't do can we please just drop the whole damned subject? I'm really tired of hearing people whine about the whole thing.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Fijiman said:
Not this bullshit again. Until the next consoles have been officially announced and we actually know what they can and can't do can we please just drop the whole damned subject? I'm really tired of hearing people whine about the whole thing.
The PS Vita essentially has this system in place already. I'd consider it a prototype for consoles. As for the other console kingpins, I see little reason why they wouldn't follow suit.

There is enormous pressure from the Publishers to introduce that kind of no-holds-barred security against Used Games (and attempts at fighting piracy, since it can be adapted to that task).

As "bullshit" as you think this topic is, the gaming industry is at a major crossroads here.
Do consoles continue to market games as products, or do they drop the pretense and move directly into services that they and the Publishers can control?

I cannot overstate how important that decision is: With the removal of of games as products, we enter into the ethically questionable realm of services, which come with their own set of demons that the customers have no control over and little to no LEGAL recourse.

The only thing they fear is severe market backlash, which is kind of the underlying point of the entire topic; not limited to just "Will They", but "What will happen if they do?"

Yeah it's annoying to see this topic over and over again, but this decision impacts a rather large portion of gaming as we know it. It's kind of important. : /

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
If it does then I'm happy to stick to this gens consoles. The developer sold it once and it is no longer theirs. I don't complain when someone resells my old stuff they bought off me.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I hate it....its the principle...I dont like the Idea of my options/rights being taken away

adn what about the retailers? surely they wont go without kicking and screaming

Atmos Duality said:
[snip.[quote/]

There is enormous pressure from the Publishers to introduce that kind of no-holds-barred security against Used Games (and attempts at fighting piracy, since it can be adapted to that task).

As "bullshit" as you think this topic is, the gaming industry is at a major crossroads here.
Do consoles continue to market games as products, or do they drop the pretense and move directly into services that they and the Publishers can control?

I cannot overstate how important that decision is: With the removal of of games as products, we enter into the ethically questionable realm of services, which come with their own set of demons that the customers have no control over and little to no LEGAL recourse.

The only thing they fear is severe market backlash, which is kind of the underlying point of the entire topic; not limited to just "Will They", but "What will happen if they do?"

Yeah it's annoying to see this topic over and over again, but this decision impacts a rather large portion of gaming as we know it. It's kind of important. : /
exatally..its a big deal and I dont see how peopel can be so "meh" abotu the whole thing

I mean look...I'll be a good little consumer for mr publisher.....if I game on PC then I'll take the DRM, and i wont complian..or pirate..EVER

I'll buy his games new at full retail price, I'll deal with the online passes

but there is a LINE that needs to be drawn.....because I dont want ot have to bend over and take it from hehined

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
TheXRatedDodo said:
I have used this analogy before and I will use it again. If a carpenter makes a table and sells it to me, it is then my property, and I am free to do with it as I please. If I wish to sell this table to someone else, there is no reason he should be seeing any money from it. He has made his money from the sale already. If the carpenter demanded a cut of that money, any sane person would, in so many words, tell the carpenter to go eff themself.
It is more like this thought. It is like buying a house plan. You buy a house plan to build a house. You build the house. Then you are NOT allowed to sell the house plan to someone else. You purchased the right to USE the houseplan ONCE. Just because you have that rolled up plan doesn't mean it is legal to give it to someone else to build a house.

(side note - I still don't like that they are doing this with software, but just offering this analogy so that you understand you aren't buying the table , but the right to use the table only for you. )

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
exatally..its a big deal and I dont see how peopel can be so "meh" abotu the whole thing
Because apathy's been a trend since Gen X/because marketing has convinced people the only way to be a good consumer is to rabidly defend the companies/because people think it will never affect them.

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
So what?, if everyone could buy new games, the prices could be drastically reduced!
The key word is COULD... not everyone can buy every new game all the time. They WISH they could, but they can't.

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Vault101 said:
Because apathy's been a trend since Gen X/because marketing has convinced people the only way to be a good consumer is to rabidly defend the companies/because people think it will never affect them.
I was going to make a nice post about apathy but meh...

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
Fijiman said:
Wahh wahh... MUST GET SELL USED GAMES..

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
So what?, if everyone could buy new games, the prices could be drastically reduced!
so what?

ok then..sure reduced prices...(or you know...jsut wait a month..or get it secondhand)

and then mabye we wont have physical copies anymore...ok

or you cant lend your poor frend a game

or you dont own the game and it gets "inactivated" after a year...

whos knows

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
If this is true, then I honestly refuse to purchase the next generation of consoles.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
The Current market:
I pay AU$110.00 for a new game for eight hours of content of questionable quality.
I finish this game in a weekend, and have no incentive to continue playing. The experience was not memorable or enjoyable enough to warrant experiencing it again at a later date.
The Publisher didn't put enough effort into the game to give me any reason, whatsoever, to hold onto their game.
They want to create disposeable games of low quality and charge a high price for these titles. I react to this as follows:

Under the rights granted to me by my government, I finish the game and then sell the game to someone who will most likely enjoy the game moreso than myself. This transaction tranfers my rights to the purchaser. I spend the money made from this transaction on another title that may, or may not, be from the same Publisher.

In total, the Publisher has made 1 copy of their game and has sold that copy, making the established profit on that copy. At no time was more than 1 copy of the game in circulation.

If the Publisher presents a quality title that is worth replaying, they will retain a higher number of customers, achieving a higher number of total sales.

The Market the Publisher wants:
I pay AU$110.00 for a new game of eight hours of content. The Publisher doesn't need to spend money on making a quality title; they need only focus on advertising the game, and buying high score reviews from the most popular publications, to achieve as many Sales as possible before Word of Mouth kills the title.
Their customers have no ability to react to the quality of the purchased title, and cannot resell their title.

They make a profit off of each copy sold, which is capped at the total sales achieved before the game was killed by word of mouth.

The Market the Publisher will get:
I don't pay AU$110.00 for a game that I don't know is any good, and cannot resell if I don't like it.

The Publisher doesn't make a profit off of the title sold because I didn't buy it.

As the quality of titles is lowered as the Publisher is "safe" because titles cannot be re-sold, less people pre-order games.
Less copies sold means less pre-owned titles available. The pre-owned market dies. Numbers of Gaming Centric Stores close as a result of the loss in profit. In turn, the Publisher sells less copies in total as there are less places to buy games.

Publishers are left will smaller sales, smaller profits, less customers and eventually less staff.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
If they reject used games, I'll refuse to buy their console. Any developer who supports removing the used games market shall be on my blacklist of purchases.

I play PC mainly and I find restricting used games to be terrible.

I think it'll hurt developers. Think about it, part of the people who buy new games to support them trade in their games for money. It's not a whole lot of lost profit.

As I have said before. My money is pre-owned, you can't have it.