Poll: The End of the Used Game Resale is Nigh! (bring out your dead .. Ding)

TorqueConverter

Nov 2, 2011
DuelLadyS said:
I wouldn't buy a system that locked out used sales for one very simple reason- what happens when all the games are used?

I'm a retro gamer. I enjoy dipping into the older generations... I just got ahold of a Mattel Intellivision, for crying out loud!

When they say 'you'll have to go online and pay more to play this used game', I hear 'when we kill the servers for this system in 10-15 years, you'd better have bought everything you want becuase now you're screwed.' What happens if my system breaks? Now my entire collection is useless becuase I can't re-download the liscenses I paid for if I pick up another unit... assuming I'll even be able to do that.

Also, assuming that they decided to pay to keep these systems running forever, it effectively forces a 'set price' for used games... the cost of the liscense. I bought Wild Arms for the PS1 from a rental shop closing down, because it was a couple dollars. I liked it. I found the other games in the series I'd missed at release. I liked them. I bought Wild Arms XF and 5 brand-new. I bought a used Katamari Damacy for $10 and every other game in the series new, save for Beatiful Katamari becuase I didn't have an Xbox. I bought Little Big planet used and pre-ordered the collector's edition of the sequel. Now I'm saving up to buy a Vita to get the newest games in both series. I wonder how many of these franchises I'd have ignored completely if I was forced to pay $20 for a liscense on top of the game?

Used games sales result in new sales. Used game sales result in system sales. Used sales result in more people willing to sell out for a system they intend to continue buying games for until it turns to dust. Banning used sales will prevent sales from folks like me. I have plenty of retro backlog to keep me busy, I have no problem keeping my money.
I guess the argument in support of banning used games and still providing availability for old title sales would be a move to a DD market. With DD services the shelf life and shelf space is infinite. The ability to obtain an old or retro game through a DD service is arguably better than going store to store trying to track down a, presumably used, copy of a game.

The problem is that there is no confirmation on exactly how these new consoles will prevent used games sales. It's rumored that they will not rely on DD and have some system in place to ensure a physical copy of a game is indeed new, most likely an online key registry database.

If you consider yourself a retro gamer than the PC is your best friend. The DD services carry very old games and the platform itself is, for all practical purposes, native backwards compatible. Emulators are nice as well. It shouldn't be too long before we're emulating PS2 games in huge numbers on PC. I can't wait to play Zeonic Front on PC.

I don't agree with the outright banning of used games sales. I think this battle between retailers and the pubs/devs should not drag the game consoles into the fray as all that's going to do is hurt the consumer.

Rampant used games sales, as in actively encouraging used games sales over new copy = bad

No used game sales at all = bad

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Grickit said:
Don Savik said:
If a person has a copy of a game they don't want any more, and I want to pay them money for it, why shouldn't I be able to play it?
Because it's piracy. They've made a copy of the 40 hour experience on the storage medium of their brain, and now they're selling you their other copy.

It's no different from burning copies of movies to give away (or sell). Or selling used movies.

Idiots saying that used cars didn't crash that market: Two people can't drive one car at the same time to two different locations. But two people can have had the entire 40 hour single player experience from one game CD. When you buy a car you pay for its utility. You buy video games for the experience (not for the physical CD and case). It's apples and oranges so STFU with that silly argument. Thanks.
Two people can't play the same game disc at the same time either. Also, if all you're buying is "an experience" than how is the 40hr experience of playing a game any different than the several hundred hour experience of driving that car? What about the experience of owning a home, or a chair, or half of a sandwich? Am I pirating ham if I give what I don't eat to someone else? Your analogy is full of holes so big I could drive a bus through them and not ruffle the edges.

Also, you're throwing in used DVDs and music CDs as comparison points when those can be bought and sold used and there's nowhere near the Publisher White Knighting for those.

You talk about idiots and the used car market.. pot and the kettle buddy.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
TorqueConverter said:
If you consider yourself a retro gamer than the PC is your best friend. The DD services carry very old games and the platform itself is, for all practical purposes, native backwards compatible. Emulators are nice as well. It shouldn't be too long before we're emulating PS2 games in huge numbers on PC. I can't wait to play Zeonic Front on PC.

I don't agree with the outright banning of used games sales. I think this battle between retailers and the pubs/devs should not drag the game consoles into the fray as all that's going to do is hurt the consumer.

Rampant used games sales, as in actively encouraging used games sales over new copy = bad

Well certainly it'll hurt the consume. We're the bad guys remember?

I think it's naive to think that retro stuff, even digital retro stuff, is going to be around forever. It's even more naive to think that everything is going to be stored and available for download. Look at the PSN and such, what's on the classics? The big name titles of yesteryear. A lot of the more obscure stuff is nowhere to be found. Look at Earthbound for example.. still not up on the virtual console because of the various potential legal ramifications and that is hardly the only game that would be in licence acquisition hell if they wanted to put it up for distribution again.

Let us not forget that the internet isn't free. Data costs money and downloading takes time. I certainly can't speak for the world, but when I got Infamous for free cause of the PSN "We're sorry African Warlords got your credit card info cause we figured a notepad file was secure storage," campaign, it took me 3 days to download it because of my relatively garbage internet and my per-month data cap. When my HDD got full... I had to delete the game cause it was eating a huge amount of space. If I want to play it again? 3 more days of downloading. However, if I wanna play Bayonetta again, I only have to walk 3 ft to my stand and stick the disc in. No waiting.

I have a hard time believe that the whole "Lets go digital!" camp are actually adults who pay bills. If they were, I think they'd be more concerned about what will likely contribute to skyrocketing internet and data costs if we have to download all these shiny new games. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to sit and download stuff.

Also, if you've got a PC to run it, there are PS2 emulators that work fairly well. They're still note quite there yet, but... that's pirating... so...

On topic... Assuming these rumors have any credibility, the console makers are playing Chess. They're baiting each other into seeing who is going to go first into either pure digital or used-game blocking. Do you know what they're doing that? Because whichever one takes that step is going to fail this console generation and likely leave the race. It is a huge deterent to say "OK if you get this console, you MUST buy every game you want brand new (Meaning $50-60+) then download it." Every game you own tied to an online account which can be banned, hacked, etc, at any time and thus lost to you, possibly forever. There will also be unheard of price gouging for games as the production window closes and the supply continuously thins with zero competition to keep the price low. Beyond the most dedicated fans, people are going to avoid that like the plague.

TorqueConverter

Nov 2, 2011
Sylveria said:
TorqueConverter said:

Well certainly it'll hurt the consume. We're the bad guys remember?

I think it's naive to think that retro stuff, even digital retro stuff, is going to be around forever. It's even more naive to think that everything is going to be stored and available for download. Look at the PSN and such, what's on the classics? The big name titles of yesteryear. A lot of the more obscure stuff is nowhere to be found. Look at Earthbound for example.. still not up on the virtual console because of the various potential legal ramifications and that is hardly the only game that would be in licence acquisition hell if they wanted to put it up for distribution again.

Let us not forget that the internet isn't free. Data costs money and downloading takes time. I certainly can't speak for the world, but when I got Infamous for free cause of the PSN "We're sorry African Warlords got your credit card info cause we figured a notepad file was secure storage," campaign, it took me 3 days to download it because of my relatively garbage internet and my per-month data cap. When my HDD got full... I had to delete the game cause it was eating a huge amount of space. If I want to play it again? 3 more days of downloading. However, if I wanna play Bayonetta again, I only have to walk 3 ft to my stand and stick the disc in. No waiting.

I have a hard time believe that the whole "Lets go digital!" camp are actually adults who pay bills. If they were, I think they'd be more concerned about what will likely contribute to skyrocketing internet and data costs if we have to download all these shiny new games. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to sit and download stuff.

Also, if you've got a PC to run it, there are PS2 emulators that work fairly well. They're still note quite there yet, but... that's pirating... so...
I can only speak from experience with the PC digital distribution services. I'm not going to talk about PSN as I have no experience with the service. Based on what I'm hearing it is shit and hardly a model by which to judge digital distribution.

I like the PC DD services. The ability to purchase and the install a game from a large library is great. DD has saved me money as well. Sure, Amazon has a large library of games but the games often go at full retail. I was able to pick up Galactic Civilizations II through Impulse for $30 and then play it a hour later. Amazon wanted full retail at $60, shipping costs and I would have had to wait for it to arrive in mail.

I haven't had any issues with my ISP but you do have a valid point concerning potential conflicts with ISPs and large volumes digital media passing through the ISP's infrastructure. I can see a similar debate to the one we are having now with these next gen consoles in the future involving DD and ISPs.

I'm definitely in support of DD however I do not believe DD should be the only retail service. Physical copies of games, or any digital media, still have a place and will continue to for some time.

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
Macemaster said:
if they were to block used game, piracy would rise
Absolutely, I can personally guarantee that it would by at least one.

I think a lot of people would be so outraged by this I doubt they would even buy the console, at least at full price anyway.

Just thinking about it actually, we could still sell the consoles on and buy used consoles.
Thing is, if they go to a web validation system, you can't really hack the game. The game would have to get a unique identifier for each copy. And then when you run the game after the first install, it would be able to tell which console it was in, the code would only work once for that console. So unless the pirates find a way to hack into the validation server to add additional keys, there would be no way for them to pirate it. Even a modded PS4 couldn't do it, as the console is modded and not the validation server that is somewhere else on the web.

They have done this with PC games already, although they aren't as strict about it. With consoles being hardcoded with ID's it would be very easy for the webserver to know if the game was moved to another console. The real kicker here that I don't know if anyone has mentioned yet is, what about Gamefly? And what about letting a friend legitimately borrow a game to play (and not copy). This would in effect put Gamefly out of business lol.

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
Sylveria said:
Grickit said:
Don Savik said:
If a person has a copy of a game they don't want any more, and I want to pay them money for it, why shouldn't I be able to play it?
Because it's piracy. They've made a copy of the 40 hour experience on the storage medium of their brain, and now they're selling you their other copy.

It's no different from burning copies of movies to give away (or sell). Or selling used movies.

Idiots saying that used cars didn't crash that market: Two people can't drive one car at the same time to two different locations. But two people can have had the entire 40 hour single player experience from one game CD. When you buy a car you pay for its utility. You buy video games for the experience (not for the physical CD and case). It's apples and oranges so STFU with that silly argument. Thanks.
Two people can't play the same game disc at the same time either. Also, if all you're buying is "an experience" than how is the 40hr experience of playing a game any different than the several hundred hour experience of driving that car? What about the experience of owning a home, or a chair, or half of a sandwich? Am I pirating ham if I give what I don't eat to someone else? Your analogy is full of holes so big I could drive a bus through them and not ruffle the edges.

Also, you're throwing in used DVDs and music CDs as comparison points when those can be bought and sold used and there's nowhere near the Publisher White Knighting for those.

You talk about idiots and the used car market.. pot and the kettle buddy.
The problem here is that people seem to think they OWN the game. They do indeed possess a cartridge or a DVD or what ever the medium happens to be at the time. However, you are actually purchasing the right to USE the software. Just like I mentioned in another reply, it is like a house plan. You buy a copy of plans to build a house. You build the house. Your license to build that house plan has now been used. Although the plans still exist, it would be illegal to give those plans to someone else to rebuild the house, as they have no purchased a license to build that plan. What you are purchasing when you buy a game in the manner they are proposing is you are buying a license to play the game, not the actual game itself.

Perhaps this might make more sense. It is like when you buy a game off steam. You can play the game on your account, you can copy the game to your 2nd or 3rd PC. But you only have a license to have that copy of the game running on ONE system at a time. It is similar to how you buy a copy of MS OFFICE. You can install it at work, and theoretically you can take it home and install it at home, but you could not be using that copy of OFFICE to do something while someone else at work is using it to do something else. You get the ability to make multiple copies and installs, but you are only allowed the license to use ONE copy at a time.

Just to clear this up, physical items are NOT = licensed data or ideas. If you rent the copy right to a use a song in your commercial for example, you can't then use it over and over again, it is a one time deal for THAT specific project. It is all about media rights here folks, and unfortunately, they ultimately own the media, so this may end up being a real thing that can likely come with the next gen consoles folks. I don't think anyone is going to like it, and there might be mass boycotts.

Perhaps there will be enough stink about it to get them to scrap the whole idea, like what happened to Netflix and "Quickster" .. If people QQ about it enough on the web, the will take notice, so either get upset about it and cause a bit stink and get them to change their minds, OR ignore it and bend over and let the CEO's take your backside virginity. If you don't stand up to them, no one will.

(hope that clears everything up a bit and MAYBE entices a few trolly letters to be sent to some gaming companies)

Xiroh86

Jan 7, 2012
Sansha said:
I support the idea of cracking down on used game sales, here's why:

Look at other medias like movies, books and music.

Movies - the film-makers get a fat sack of cash from a studio to make their film, and when it's done it's licensed to theaters and makes money there. It's then licensed to DVD/Blu-Ray and makes money there, also rental stores. It's THEN licensed to pay-per-view blockbuster TV channels, and online services such as NetFlix. It's THEN licensed to free TV.
So effectively the movie has been sold five times to five different mediums - used DVD sales are rampant but that doesn't matter because the movie is still producing cash all across the entire world.

Books - cheap to write, cheap to produce, sell for a huge markup from that production cost. If the writer is successful, they can then cash in on merchandise, signings, even movie deals if they do well enough (Harry Potter), and the process goes up to my first point.

Music - a little more complicated because the RIAA can fuck off, but some artists make ridiculous amounts of money off their music in more ways than album sales. Merchandise and shows are huge, plus endorsements and advertisements - how a musician makes their money is limited by their imagination and personality. Taylor Swift made $80,000,000 in the past two years, plus $100,000,000 revenue (not all hers) from her recent world tour - and almost none of that was from album sales.

Games - developer has capital, makes game, sends to stores and online services like Steam.
That's it. End of profit.
They don't get their money anywhere else except in a few rare exceptions. There aren't shows, there's very few merchandising options, and they need that profit to be able to have jobs next month and to create new content.
This is why games are made over and over, like CoD and EA Sports, and why publishers ruin games. They want it guaranteed to sell as much as possible because new copies are all the income they get, while used game sales and piracy hurt their bottom line and thus jack up prices.

As a gamer and also retail businessman, I say I don't care about stores. The evolution of technology is making stores and physical copies obsolete, when you can download games directly to your PC and Xbox through services like Steam and the Live Marketplace.
Who wants to go out and give a store a cut of the price of a game when you can have it ready to play by leaving your PC on overnight downloading as many titles as you want? Plus doing that, you get automatic updates, instant DLC, tech support and instant access to that game's fan community.
The only situation in which I'd support buying a used game is if there literally are no new copies on the shelves or anywhere else to buy because they simply don't stock it anymore. You shouldn't be entitled to a cheaper product just because you can't afford a new one.

tl;dr - used game sales hurt game developers that are irrelevant to other medias, down with stores and up with Steam.
Ok. Here is were you have some basic things wrong.
1) Technology, as it stands now, is nowhere near ready for a complete switch over to digital distribution. This is based on the fact that we need larger HDD/SSD, and a more consistent internet speed, not to mention that some places actually don't have internet access.

2) To get back to the topic of the thread: if you say that someone should have to pay a cut of used sales to the devs (which you imply), you are saying that, even after you purchase the individual disc/cartridge, the devs still own it, there fore if you sell it to a friend or reseller, you need to give a portion, let's be fair and say 50%, because that is the minimum of what the devs/publishers would want, to them, and if you refused they would have every right to take you to court and sue you. I feel that that is unfair.

Now, don't think that I feel that devs shouldn't get paid a fair wage, in fact I think that they should be treated just as fair as anyone else. I'm just saying that the banning of used games is unethical, because it strips basic consumer rights away.

Oh and one more thing on the digital download portion of your input: if we go digital completely a large number of people lose their jobs. Not just retailers, but also the factory workers, and print shops that help in the manufacture of the physical media. In this economy, any job losses, anywhere in the world, is bad.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Xiroh86 said:
Sansha said:

Movies - the film-makers get a fat sack of cash from a studio to make their film, and when it's done it's licensed to theaters and makes money there. It's then licensed to DVD/Blu-Ray and makes money there, also rental stores. It's THEN licensed to pay-per-view blockbuster TV channels, and online services such as NetFlix. It's THEN licensed to free TV.
So effectively the movie has been sold five times to five different mediums - used DVD sales are rampant but that doesn't matter because the movie is still producing cash all across the entire world.

Books - cheap to write, cheap to produce, sell for a huge markup from that production cost. If the writer is successful, they can then cash in on merchandise, signings, even movie deals if they do well enough (Harry Potter), and the process goes up to my first point.

Music - a little more complicated because the RIAA can fuck off, but some artists make ridiculous amounts of money off their music in more ways than album sales. Merchandise and shows are huge, plus endorsements and advertisements - how a musician makes their money is limited by their imagination and personality. Taylor Swift made $80,000,000 in the past two years, plus $100,000,000 revenue (not all hers) from her recent world tour - and almost none of that was from album sales.

Games - developer has capital, makes game, sends to stores and online services like Steam.
They don't get their money anywhere else except in a few rare exceptions. There aren't shows, there's very few merchandising options, and they need that profit to be able to have jobs next month and to create new content.
This is why games are made over and over, like CoD and EA Sports, and why publishers ruin games. They want it guaranteed to sell as much as possible because new copies are all the income they get, while used game sales and piracy hurt their bottom line and thus jack up prices.

As a gamer and also retail businessman, I say I don't care about stores. The evolution of technology is making stores and physical copies obsolete, when you can download games directly to your PC and Xbox through services like Steam and the Live Marketplace.
Who wants to go out and give a store a cut of the price of a game when you can have it ready to play by leaving your PC on overnight downloading as many titles as you want? Plus doing that, you get automatic updates, instant DLC, tech support and instant access to that game's fan community.
The only situation in which I'd support buying a used game is if there literally are no new copies on the shelves or anywhere else to buy because they simply don't stock it anymore. You shouldn't be entitled to a cheaper product just because you can't afford a new one.

tl;dr - used game sales hurt game developers that are irrelevant to other medias, down with stores and up with Steam.
1) Technology, as it stands now, is nowhere near ready for a complete switch over to digital distribution. This is based on the fact that we need larger HDD/SSD, and a more consistent internet speed, not to mention that some places actually don't have internet access.

2) To get back to the topic of the thread: if you say that someone should have to pay a cut of used sales to the devs (which you imply), you are saying that, even after you purchase the individual disc/cartridge, the devs still own it, there fore if you sell it to a friend or reseller, you need to give a portion, let's be fair and say 50%, because that is the minimum of what the devs/publishers would want, to them, and if you refused they would have every right to take you to court and sue you. I feel that that is unfair.

Now, don't think that I feel that devs shouldn't get paid a fair wage, in fact I think that they should be treated just as fair as anyone else. I'm just saying that the banning of used games is unethical, because it strips basic consumer rights away.

Oh and one more thing on the digital download portion of your input: if we go digital completely a large number of people lose their jobs. Not just retailers, but also the factory workers, and print shops that help in the manufacture of the physical media. In this economy, any job losses, anywhere in the world, is bad.
1) I don't accept that. It's about damn time technology should allow us to adapt. It's not acceptable, to me, that internet services around the world are still inadequate while South Korea and Sweden are proving that high-speed consistent internet is available. I don't accept that the internet isn't available everywhere when satellite internet is already a viable and wide-spread technology. Such service and development is limited solely by lazy or ignorant service providing companies who don't want to bother expanding.

2) I don't think developers should be entitled to a cut of a used game sale. That's like saying a studio should get a tiny slice of every DVD rental or bargain-bin resale, or you should flip an author a dollar for every book you dump on someone else in a garage sale.
What I'm saying is if a developer/publisher wants to make used game resales as difficult as possible, I support their endeavors. They're entitled to do whatever they want with their product, and if you don't like it, vote with your wallet. It's really that simple, a black and white issue. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Unless, of course, you really want to play this game enough to betray your own values, which we all see time and time again. Threatening to boycott a game has no effect on a developer. Following through with that does. See the EVE Online's Jita Riots and nuclear forum meltdown over Incarna last year.

And the same thing was said about job loss and economic collapse when factories became more and more automated. The best course of action? Become the guys who build and maintain the machines. There'll also be jobs maintaining the servers and getting the digital information effectively from the game developer to the supplier to the customer. Advertisements, website updates, constructing the offices and server facilities to house the digital distributors, the list goes on.
Adaption and evolution. You can't get comfortable in a "We've always done it this way, it works perfectly well." and allow progress to stagnate.

Xiroh86

Jan 7, 2012
Sansha said:
Xiroh86 said:
Sansha said:

1) I don't accept that. It's about damn time technology should allow us to adapt. It's not acceptable, to me, that internet services around the world are still inadequate while South Korea and Sweden are proving that high-speed consistent internet is available. I don't accept that the internet isn't available everywhere when satellite internet is already a viable and wide-spread technology. Such service and development is limited solely by lazy or ignorant service providing companies who don't want to bother expanding.

2) I don't think developers should be entitled to a cut of a used game sale. That's like saying a studio should get a tiny slice of every DVD rental or bargain-bin resale, or you should flip an author a dollar for every book you dump on someone else in a garage sale.
What I'm saying is if a developer/publisher wants to make used game resales as difficult as possible, I support their endeavors. They're entitled to do whatever they want with their product, and if you don't like it, vote with your wallet. It's really that simple, a black and white issue. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Unless, of course, you really want to play this game enough to betray your own values, which we all see time and time again. Threatening to boycott a game has no effect on a developer. Following through with that does. See the EVE Online's Jita Riots and nuclear forum meltdown over Incarna last year.

And the same thing was said about job loss and economic collapse when factories became more and more automated. The best course of action? Become the guys who build and maintain the machines. There'll also be jobs maintaining the servers and getting the digital information effectively from the game developer to the supplier to the customer. Advertisements, website updates, constructing the offices and server facilities to house the digital distributors, the list goes on.
Adaption and evolution. You can't get comfortable in a "We've always done it this way, it works perfectly well." and allow progress to stagnate.
The point you make about evolving and adapting is a very well put, however, to tackle the jobs loss, yes, a number of people became technicians for the machines, but even more people flat out lost their jobs. Unemployment in the United States is 9 or 10 percent. That doesn't sound really high but that equals out to around 31 million people. You also can't expect people to go back to school for an additional 2+ years, before they can get back into the job market. That is unreasonable to expect that. You also have to realize that they may never get that position is there is someone younger and willing to work for less.

As for the internet problems, you need look no farther than the US military. When Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition was released a number of service men and women purchased it thinking that the bonus DLC was on the disc. Now for PS3 the DLC was, but for 360 they gave you MS Points to download them. They weren't able to because of the internet capabilities. Also, the college I went to had great internet infrastructure, but the way it was structured restricted gaming online. A number of colleges are like this, and seeing as college students are among the core demographic for video games, having to download games would make it impossible for them to keep up with the latest games, causing sales to drop. I also personally know a number of gamers that live in households that just flatout don't have/want, or can't afford internet access.

You also have to consider that if we switch to a completely digital only media, you have little to no customer service, DRM so outrageous it isn't even funny, and prices will not drop, you really end up paying more for less.

Now back to the actual thread topic. Well its good to hear you don't support the devs/pubs getting a cut of resales profits, but I have to say that I personally don't support the efforts the ban used games. They may technically have the right to, but in the long run it very well could lead the a hike in game prices. If publishers succeed in getting this initiative through they could, and most likely will, decide that since games can really only be played if bought new they can charge what they want for games, with no real restrictions. This isn't just bad for consumers, but also for the industry as a whole.

I understand and respect your point of view ("adapt and evolve") but I feel that we can't forget this point of view: "just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

ubersyanyde

Dec 9, 2011
This is one of the reasons I switched to PC gaming. As soon as the standard retail price of games drops from what it is now, people will start to buy games first hand. Taking away someone's ability to buy a game at a reasonable price and giving them no alternative is just bad for all aspects of business. No one will enjoy your game because they can't afford it and you won't get any money because no one is buying your game!

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Xiroh86 said:
Sansha said:
Xiroh86 said:
Sansha said:

The point you make about evolving and adapting is a very well put, however, to tackle the jobs loss, yes, a number of people became technicians for the machines, but even more people flat out lost their jobs. Unemployment in the United States is 9 or 10 percent. That doesn't sound really high but that equals out to around 31 million people. You also can't expect people to go back to school for an additional 2+ years, before they can get back into the job market. That is unreasonable to expect that. You also have to realize that they may never get that position is there is someone younger and willing to work for less.

As for the internet problems, you need look no farther than the US military. When Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition was released a number of service men and women purchased it thinking that the bonus DLC was on the disc. Now for PS3 the DLC was, but for 360 they gave you MS Points to download them. They weren't able to because of the internet capabilities. Also, the college I went to had great internet infrastructure, but the way it was structured restricted gaming online. A number of colleges are like this, and seeing as college students are among the core demographic for video games, having to download games would make it impossible for them to keep up with the latest games, causing sales to drop. I also personally know a number of gamers that live in households that just flatout don't have/want, or can't afford internet access.

You also have to consider that if we switch to a completely digital only media, you have little to no customer service, DRM so outrageous it isn't even funny, and prices will not drop, you really end up paying more for less.

Now back to the actual thread topic. Well its good to hear you don't support the devs/pubs getting a cut of resales profits, but I have to say that I personally don't support the efforts the ban used games. They may technically have the right to, but in the long run it very well could lead the a hike in game prices. If publishers succeed in getting this initiative through they could, and most likely will, decide that since games can really only be played if bought new they can charge what they want for games, with no real restrictions. This isn't just bad for consumers, but also for the industry as a whole.

I understand and respect your point of view ("adapt and evolve") but I feel that we can't forget this point of view: "just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Try saying that to Steve Jobs and his crew.

Innovation, technological development and a world run by bright people who believe in both are, to me, the ways forward. Progress for progress's sake.

South Korea and Sweden have fantastic internet services, and have seen a resulting economic and social boom from that. It frustrates me to the point of wanting to learn Korean that other countries remain wedged in the idea that it's not important or not worth paying for. Bollocks to that. I have the best internet in the country and the only online games I can play are on Australian servers, and my ping is around 200-300. Not fucking acceptable when the technology easily exists to send gigabytes of data so much faster.

Yes, I just want to play games, but I also want my iTunes to download a song before I can un-click the download button, and NetFlix movies before I can make a sandwich. I know they can do it, but they... won't. This kind of technology has more practical applications than entertainment - what about a doctor who, can from many miles away, diagnose and advise treatment on a patient using a real-time 3D image with no latency? We can send images and video, sure, but why *not* improve on that? What about a university professor who can send an entire year's coursework to a student or colleague in a blink? "Nah I gotta leave my PC on all night so it can upload. You can download it in the morning." - not good enough.

You can't stagnate and stay conservative, comfortable in the world you know, when there's so much more technology to develop and economic opportunities to create.
A great leap forward may not be the best idea because you can't shatter the world's systems too quickly, but think about what we could establish for our next generation.

Steve Jobs and Apple said "Fuck the system." and pushed out some amazing technologies. MP3 players, stronger and more managable laptops, iPads and iPhones. Such innovation should be encouraged, not discouraged because 'well we don't have to, we have factories to staff!' or because what we have now is 'fine'.

Well, to me, it's not, and I'm looking into the business of improving it for myself.
Your better world might be 'Joe has a job'. Mine is when I can hang out with people across the world using HD holograms like I can forget they're not actually there - with a ping of zero.

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
sophiebelle said:
BreakfastMan said:
That really only works if you look at it through the angle of "licensing software" instead of "purchasing and owning software". Once I purchase a book, I own it, and can do practically anything I want (within legal restrictions, of course). I can resell it, loan it to friends, use it as toilet paper, or make a hat out of it. Me, and many other people, think game-sales should be more like book sales. Indeed, most are.
Quite right. You are only licensing most software. Have you never clicked through a "license agreement," or read on the back of most game cases where it says that you're only licensed to play the game, and leads you to a place where you can read such a license agreement (for instance, on the back of LittleBigPlanet, it says "Software License terms available at www.us.playstation.com/support/useragreement").
With physical media, when you hand over the copy of the disc you are transferring your license to said person.

"TRANSFER OF PRE-RECORDED COPIES. You may transfer the entire physical copy of pre-recorded Software and accompanying documentation on a permanent basis to another person as long as you retain no copies (including archival or backup copies) of the Software, accompanying documentation, or any portion or component of the Software or accompanying documentation, and the recipient agrees to the terms of this Agreement. Special Features, including content otherwise unavailable without a single-use serial code, are not transferrable to another person under any circumstances and Special Features may cease functioning if the original installation copy of the software is deleted or the pre-recorded copy is unavailable to the user. The Software is intended for private use only. " - All Rockstar games.

" permanently transfer the Software on any supported computer
configuration only and its documentation to another user provided
You retain no copies and the recipient agrees to the terms of this
Agreement. You may not transfer, distribute, rent, sub-license, or
lease the Software or documentation, except as provided herein; or
alter, modify, or adapt the Product or documentation, or any portions
thereof." - Saint's Row the 3rd

"You may permanently transfer all rights Infogrames grants to you in this License, provided you retain no copies, you transfer all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, the CD-authentication key, and any upgrades), and the recipient reads and accepts this License. Infogrames and BioWare reserve all rights not expressly granted to you by this License." - Neverwinter Nights

Pre-Recorded = physical copy.

So your argument is invalid.

Also... LOL@ Steve Jobs and his crew being innovators... They are not anything of the sorts, they are just great at marketing, nothing more. Apple is built on the achievements of others being wrapped up in pretty bows.

kryptondude

Apr 9, 2012
its a downright stupid idea in my opinion, i have many a time just went to the local game shop and picked a game up because it was cheap used and looked good,and to be honest alot of them games have been better the the ones i have paid full price for.

i will not pay £40 for alot of games, not because i cant afford it but simply because i refuse too because lets be honest them majority of them are not worth the money.

i think if thishappens then alot of people will just stop buying games full stop, and the companies willjust lose money in the long run, i own 22 games and 15 of them i bought pre owned on the cheap.

Alot of games just are not worth £40, and the ones that look ok i am not willing to spend £40 on the off chance it might be good.

i think it will be a poor move if this happens

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
The simplistic ease of Console's plug-and-play and ease of game-swapping/transferring is what sets them above and beyond gaming PCs, as Nintendo and the Original Xbox proved.

Consoles wouldn't be nearly as popular if it wasn't possible to just bring a game and slide it into the slot to start playing.

Xiroh86

Jan 7, 2012
Sansha said:
Xiroh86 said:
Sansha said:
Xiroh86 said:
Sansha said:

Try saying that to Steve Jobs and his crew.

Innovation, technological development and a world run by bright people who believe in both are, to me, the ways forward. Progress for progress's sake.

South Korea and Sweden have fantastic internet services, and have seen a resulting economic and social boom from that. It frustrates me to the point of wanting to learn Korean that other countries remain wedged in the idea that it's not important or not worth paying for. Bollocks to that. I have the best internet in the country and the only online games I can play are on Australian servers, and my ping is around 200-300. Not fucking acceptable when the technology easily exists to send gigabytes of data so much faster.

Yes, I just want to play games, but I also want my iTunes to download a song before I can un-click the download button, and NetFlix movies before I can make a sandwich. I know they can do it, but they... won't. This kind of technology has more practical applications than entertainment - what about a doctor who, can from many miles away, diagnose and advise treatment on a patient using a real-time 3D image with no latency? We can send images and video, sure, but why *not* improve on that? What about a university professor who can send an entire year's coursework to a student or colleague in a blink? "Nah I gotta leave my PC on all night so it can upload. You can download it in the morning." - not good enough.

You can't stagnate and stay conservative, comfortable in the world you know, when there's so much more technology to develop and economic opportunities to create.
A great leap forward may not be the best idea because you can't shatter the world's systems too quickly, but think about what we could establish for our next generation.

Steve Jobs and Apple said "Fuck the system." and pushed out some amazing technologies. MP3 players, stronger and more managable laptops, iPads and iPhones. Such innovation should be encouraged, not discouraged because 'well we don't have to, we have factories to staff!' or because what we have now is 'fine'.

Well, to me, it's not, and I'm looking into the business of improving it for myself.
Your better world might be 'Joe has a job'. Mine is when I can hang out with people across the world using HD holograms like I can forget they're not actually there - with a ping of zero.
Wow! All I can say is that this is horribly selfish! The fact that you are more worried about hanging out with your holographic friends, and not about having a job to afford said hologram technology shows a lack of maturity.

Well and the following:

Pushing technology just to push technology is just as bad a stagnating! The PS3 is a great example of that! It pushed tech just to push it and made it unaffordable for most people! I love my PS3 but I was only able to afford it about 2 and a half years ago.

And, as for Apple, you act as if they have done no wrong! they had a number a failures; the Lisa and Pippin to name 2. Now, I respect what Jobs and his crew did, but can you give me one reason as to why we an iPad that has a resolution so high that nothing can yet fully use it?

Look I'm about at the end of my rope with this. I love tech, and pushing the envelope with it, but doing it just because, really is not a good reason! If you need more proof just think about the Atomic Bomb. We were able to make, but should we have?

Lionel Riviere

Apr 17, 2012
Blocking resale of the original product is just not legal. The first sale law/doctrine is about regulating copies ownership not originals.

Is there some customer protection agency to report this type of abuse of DRMs ?