Poll: The Escapist's New(er) Format

MinishArcticFox

Jan 4, 2010
I personally don't care for it and from what I can tell neither do most other people. So I'm hoping that if we can get enough people to say they prefer the old format the powers that be at the Escapist may just change it back. So regardless of what you think feel free to vote.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I like the new format.

The only problem is that it has trouble loading. But that should be fixed with time.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
One Hit Noob said:
Well, I'm actually getting used to this new format. The Escapist added this new feature that can turn the blinding white background into a darker white color.
Which is a good addition yes, but what's the text beneath the options? It's not praising Cthulhu is it? D:

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'll be happy once they work the kinks out, and the site stops glitching out and crashing on me.

gif god? My, what a development!

Jul 11, 2008
I think it's a real shame that the site has lost it's identity. The sad thing is that they don't want to hear about it.
The best fix for all their problems would have been to simply roll back the site to when it was functional and actually user friendly rather than storming ahead with this design atrocity.

It's so hard to give actual constructive criticism when theres nothing of value in the current design to build upon beyond the top navigation bar.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
People really hate change don't they... I actually quite like the new design. It reduced clutter quite a bit and kept all the functionality I expect. Despite the loading issues that they occasionally get( which I suspect is more of a server power issue than anything else) I like what they've done with the site, particularly the addition of the article background and text controls.

Evilproduct

Oct 25, 2009
It's not that we hate it because it is change, we hate it because it sucks. The white background if glaringly bright and blinding and the arrangement of featured videos and articles is tedious and hard to navigate. It was better the way it was and we should go back to that format, please

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Evilproduct said:
The white background if glaringly bright and blinding
Pictured: how to listen to criticism. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/browsing_options]

OT: I like most of it. The news box should be back in its old spot, but having profile options on the front page saves me lots of time. And the Forums tab is perfect now.

Meta 99

May 2, 2010
The visual things aren't bad, but the new episodes no longer being next to what you're watching is inconvenient.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
The only problem is that it has trouble loading. But that should be fixed with time.
Indeed. It's likely caused by them going through and fixing all the bugs.

I do kind of miss being able to flick between all the latest content of the ongoing series here on the Escapist instead of going into the video tab. Front page? I rarely live on the front page anyway, not my biggest gripe. They've turned down the lights. I like the drop down menus.

No, my biggest concern is the deletion of the community tab. I liked it when the site staff would hold spotlights for groups and individual members and interview them. It was nice and I miss it. Where did all those go anyway?

[sub][sub]I have a smaller complaint about the [ h1] and [ h2] forum codes. I would love to see them be dark red and dark blue again.[/sub][/sub]

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
From what I can tell from the Redesign Information User Group, the chances of them changing the site back are virtually non-existent, but I still think this poll would be informative. (At least if it gets a slightly more representative number of votes than at present...)
And yes, I preferred the previous design, both for practicality and aesthetics.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No, I gotten used to the new format now and I like some of the new features. Honestly there are many sites that had change overtime (like Facebook and Youtube) in the past so it was about time they had updated the site.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
I'm getting used to the new layout now, but it still seems to cause problems for my comp like freezing and crashing my browser. Also, loading times are worse and I find nothing about it "easier to navigate", it's either equally easy to navigate or harder to. It's somewhere around the middle.

I don't care for the new layout, I'd like it back, so I voted Yes, though instead of changing it back entirely just leave an option to change it back there.

Digikid said:
Bob Kyuss said:
60%...think they will listen now?
Doubtful.

They never ever asked for our input on that matter and that is absolutely unacceptable.
Meh, at least they don't ask us for input and don't do shit about it like Youtube, despite the fact that the layouts there just get crappier and more complicated every update and how almost everyone dislikes it.

The number of people who replied to the poll is hardly substantial enough to have any effect, given how large the site is...

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
mParadox said:
One Hit Noob said:
Well, I'm actually getting used to this new format. The Escapist added this new feature that can turn the blinding white background into a darker white color.
Which is a good addition yes, but what's the text beneath the options? It's not praising Cthulhu is it? D:
It's base on Latin and then altered as to not mean anything. It's used in graphic design so that you can see how text looks without any focus on what it actually says. Or so Wikipedia wants us to believe... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

(If it had said something along the lines of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn," it would give some cause for concern...)

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Responsiveness has got much better, along with the option to turn the intensity of a thousand suns down a notch, plus the forum menubar is much more convenient.

It does feel a lot like someone started designing a new site & then gave up halfway through though...why are lots of graphics & buttons from the old design still here? They don't fit with each other.

I preferred the old design, personally. Maybe it will grow on me.

Edit:

Ice Azure said:
Digikid said:
Bob Kyuss said:
60%...think they will listen now?
Doubtful.

They never ever asked for our input on that matter and that is absolutely unacceptable.
Meh, at least they don't ask us for input and don't do shit about it like Youtube, despite the fact that the layouts there just get crappier and more complicated every update and how almost everyone dislikes it.
They did ask for input, but only from pubclub members (apparently the original background was going to be even brighter than the default one now).