Poll: The Fall of EA: Yay or Nay?

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
game devs will find new publishers, if its with activision (worst case scenario, methinks) it will still be business as usual anyway, and Origin gets to sod right off which is a plus in my book.

also, after all EA has done in the past (is anyone still keeping the list on ground-pounded studios?), I think they had this coming a long time ago.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
yes, I am all for the fall and liquidation of EA. Personally I would rather the head honchos take a rough one from behind and somehow be left destitute for the handling of their company, but I know that is never going to happen. So instead I will be happy that a company notoriously bad and a constant anchor around gaming's neck finally vanishes. The IP will be bought up by other companies (some might even be good companies, at least better then EA, I highly doubt worse save possibly activision), and it might even free up currently dead IP to be actually used instead of just horded like jewish gold which seems to be company policy on a number of old IP.

Finally I really look forward to the aspect that the death of EA might send a shockwave through the industry that the old model of business is finally dead and get rid of the entitled hateful mentality many seem to have at present. Too many look at the customers as sheep to sheer, as brainless lowest common denominator gamers to pander to and slam with DLC fees and DRM. Maybe the death of a giant will make others at least give it a better look. Well, that is the best I can hope for at least.

Maybe just the desire to see a relic of the past finally pass on to free up space for smaller, overall better companies to grow. Like a once great tree, it grew too big, smothered out other budding trees, rotted at the core and who's redeeming qualities are stolen from others rather then much of it's own. I do not weep for it's fall, I look forward to it. Hell, I often feel it is companies like EA that tend to hold the medium back at times. With a company's view of its customers as childish and inane, it is hard to convince others to allow your medium to grow. Who is going to think game are an art when they are marketed by pandering to horny teenage male stereotypes.

Mar 9, 2010
No, I just want them to change their entire business practices. If they bomb then so will all the developers they own as well as their IPs, I just want them to be better at being them. Like how they were at the start, without all the money whoring.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Yay, someone will fill the void so EA can burn for all I care.
Pretty much this, their like bloody cannibals that gain the power of the people who they just ate.

Business is much like the assassination business, or sports business, your only as good as your fans or ninja-like skills. The issue with EA is that they fall under ninja-rule number 1, your a unstoppable bad-ass if your on your own [Steam / Valve] however if you have a ton of dudes behind you, you quickly become the easiest pray [EA] so there you have it. Ninja rules fit every situation.

A Satanic Panda said:
Nay, if EA falls, then they're taking some of my favorite game devs with them.
Like they have for the past ten years. [R.I.P Pandemic Studios. The single most awesome dev to make a alien game ever.]

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
ChrisRedfield92 said:
If one of your parents died in an accident I doubt you would still be bitter after 6 months.

Really? Fucking really? You couldn't have thought of a better comparison? And 6 months is nothing, it's been a year and a half since DA2 and I'm still pissed Greg managed to convince me to pay full price for that piece of shit.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
EA and Activision can go die in a fire (I am speaking figuratively, of course). But while we're at it, maybe they can fit Capcom in this short bus off a cliff. It's gotten to the point where these business only do damage to the whole medium, and their absence would do us all a world of good, particularly before the next gen comes around and they find more ways to utterly infuriate the entire population of gaming. What will it be next? A new type of DLC scheme worse then any imagined before? Further dumbing down of once fantastic franchises to make sure the family dog can play to? Ten times more advertisements to the point the games start pausing for commercials (Like Sony is rumored to be testing)? Just wait... you let these people keep going unchecked and they'll still impress you with how utterly despicable they can be in their never ending quest for quick cash-grabs.

Baldur Moon

Aug 4, 2012
NuclearShadow said:
@ the OP your idea seems to be the "too big to fail" stance on this and I have to disagree. The gaming industry is much larger than any one company. There was a time where giants like what EA is now didn't exist and this isn't seen as dark ages of gaming.

As for the IP's it's not like EA would let everything go down with the ship they would liquidate everything they have. This includes all the IP's and any notable ones would be snatched up quickly. The only real impact the fall of EA would have is temporary job losses.
But because EA is knocked this is a opening for everyone whether it be a new studio forming from former EA employees to the other giants deciding to push more resources into development and thus hiring to do so to try to take the piece of the giant pie that EA left behind.

The gaming industry would be fine without EA, just as it would be fine without Ubisoft, Activison, or even the hardware console manufactures like Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft.
Just look at Sega when they got knocked out of the console market. The gaming industry is much bigger than any one of these companies alone.
I'm not saying the whole gaming industry is gonna fall if EA tanks (I'm not sure how I alluded to that but I assure you that's not what I meant) I'm saying that some of my favorite dev's and IP's under the EA umbrella will be in one way or another negatively affected or outright disbanded (I can't imagine they'll all come up COMPLETELY unharmed) by their collapse.

ward0630

Nov 25, 2009
While I would never want to see so many projects destroyed, so much money lost, and so many talented people put out of work, EA is going to destroy themselves soon. I mean, how long is battlefield and medal of honor going to sustain their enterprise, especially when Dead space 3 is going to bomb harder than hiroshima in 1945. The only way to do this is to change their image by doing things differently. For that to happen, EA is going to have to see some serious losses, and I mean millions of dollars, before they even consider that they're doing something wrong.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]
ChrisRedfield92 said:
If one of your parents died in an accident I doubt you would still be bitter after 6 months.

Really? Fucking really? You couldn't have thought of a better comparison? And 6 months is nothing, it's been a year and a half since DA2 and I'm still pissed Greg managed to convince me to pay full price for that piece of shit.

Damn man, your reaction is just proving my point; you're seriously still pissed after 18 months?

Also, Who the fuck is Greg?!

Skillswords

Mar 25, 2009
Zantos said:
we get to see a right royal scrap as SCE, Valve, Activision and Microsoft Game Studios fight over which bits they want. Which will be epic, in a long court settlements and economics sort of way.
i think valve would just go "EA isp's are too mainstream" and continue to port indie games and delay the third installments on everything

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
ChrisRedfield92 said:
We're coming up to 6 months since release. Don't you think it's time to let it go?
Not that I'm upset about ME3 (I'm not, I actually quite enjoyed it), but my best friend was killed by a drunk driver in 1997, and I'm still pissed off about it. Not actively mad at the world or anything, but I legitimately feel that DUI should carry a charge of Attempted Murder, and that anyone who does such things is one of the lowest forms of human scum in the world.

Moving back to the topic, I'm strange because I generally like EA. Even with the questionable decisions that Bioware has made recently, I find I still enjoy their games more than I am annoyed by them. I actively enjoy The Sims as a franchise, and am eagerly awaiting the Supernatural expansion (Making Magic was the best expansion for Sims 1). I don't buy it every year, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of FIFA when I do, and despite claims to the contrary, I see a lot of improvement between 2010 World Cup and FIFA 12. A new Sim City is coming out next year, too. So yeah, I like EA.

Skillswords

Mar 25, 2009
ChrisRedfield92 said:
Fr said:
anc[is]
ChrisRedfield92 said:

Damn man, your reaction is just proving my point; you're seriously still pissed after 18 months?

Also, Who the fuck is Greg?!
well, batman was still plenty bitter after only 8 month's

In honesty though, Dragon age had a lot of potential and had started hooking people in, but already is starting to fall apart. If you emotionally invested yourself in dragon age one, and found the sequel to be inferior and the third being left to a pack of idiots, you get to watch everything you know and love become warped in front of you...

remember the avatar the last airbender (blah it never happened blah Lake laogai), it's not that bad as of yet, but we are getting dangerously close

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Yay. They will pay for their destruction of Bullfrog. And Westwood. And Maxis. And Mythic. And Origin. And Pandemic. And Criterion. And DICE. And likely soon Bioware. Yeah. They need to pay.

Did I forget any victims to mention on the obituary?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'd rather see them changed; the precedents they set for the rest of the industry are often unfortunate, to say the least. It takes a somewhat callow individual to just flippantly state they'd like to see thousands of people out of work more or less out of spite.

The grimmer and perhaps more interesting question is: is EA in the midst of sowing the seeds of its own downfall?

On that, my suspicion is yes.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
ChrisRedfield92 said:
We're coming up to 6 months since release. Don't you think it's time to let it go?
Not that I'm upset about ME3 (I'm not, I actually quite enjoyed it), but my best friend was killed by a drunk driver in 1997, and I'm still pissed off about it. Not actively mad at the world or anything, but I legitimately feel that DUI should carry a charge of Attempted Murder, and that anyone who does such things is one of the lowest forms of human scum in the world.

Moving back to the topic, I'm strange because I generally like EA. Even with the questionable decisions that Bioware has made recently, I find I still enjoy their games more than I am annoyed by them. I actively enjoy The Sims as a franchise, and am eagerly awaiting the Supernatural expansion (Making Magic was the best expansion for Sims 1). I don't buy it every year, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of FIFA when I do, and despite claims to the contrary, I see a lot of improvement between 2010 World Cup and FIFA 12. A new Sim City is coming out next year, too. So yeah, I like EA.
I personally don't put a serious lapse of judgement on the same level as say... Jeffrey Dahmer or Adolf Hitler or Stalin or Mugabi or Gheddafi or The Federal Reserve Bank, but I haven't been in your situation so; Who knows? In your shoes I might or might not feel the same way.

Baldur Moon

Aug 4, 2012
xPixelatedx said:
EA and Activision can go die in a fire (I am speaking figuratively, of course). But while we're at it, maybe they can fit Capcom in this short bus off a cliff. It's gotten to the point where these business only do damage to the whole medium, and their absence would do us all a world of good, particularly before the next gen comes around and they find more ways to utterly infuriate the entire population of gaming. What will it be next? A new type of DLC scheme worse then any imagined before? Further dumbing down of once fantastic franchises to make sure the family dog can play to? Ten times more advertisements to the point the games start pausing for commercials (Like Sony is rumored to be testing)? Just wait... you let these people keep going unchecked and they'll still impress you with how utterly despicable they can be in their never ending quest for quick cash-grabs.
They keep doing all that bullshit (and I agree 100% that it is despicable inexcusable bullshit) because people keep falling for it. Only way to make them change is to hit em where it hurts: their wallet. If you (and I don't mean you specifically; just a figure of speech) think their DLC practices is outrageous don't buy it. If they dumb down a game to the point of it being able to be played by the family dog definitely don't fucking buy it. If enough people do the same EA will be forced to improve and adapt or die, simple as that. The problem is that the vast majority of people are content with said bullshit so EA has no reason to change, eventually people will have had enough though...lets just hope its sooner rather than later.

DISCLAIMER: I'm in no way attacking or accusing you of any of that just making that clear. Just expressing my opinion on the matter of which you wrote, promise :p