Poll: The Final Verdict on George W. Bush?s Presidency?

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
Why do people think he's the worst president ever? Even if everything the radical anti-Bush people said was true, with the exception of him being the worst president ever, there's still been clearly worse presidents.

I mean, come on, Andrew Jackson was a complete unapologetic douche bag who would send heart "Fuck you" to anyone who tried to suggest anything different than what he tried to do. The Bush administration may have done some illegal things, but not all of them were Bush, he just gets the blame for everything. He didn't even do as much constitution smashing as Lincoln. When the supreme court told Jackson to stop doing blatantly unconstitutional things, he just stuck his tongue out and said "Make me!".

Also I was the first to put into the poll a few minutes ago, but didn't make a post so, FIRST I/\/PUT!!!1!11!!

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Samurai Goomba said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
He was a horrible president, the worst. The job of a President is to represent the people of America and considering his approval rating was at 30% he obviously failed to do that. Nixon didn't even get that low. History will view him as another Hoover.
Hoover didn't cause the Depression, you know. He just took office as the Depression started happening.

From what I know of history, Warren G. Harding was the worst President. He hired all his friends into office, who promptly started stealing and abused their authority for their own petty gain.
Yes, true Harding was the one that caused the depression, but if you look at the history books, it places the blame on Hoover. My post isn't saying how he's looked at now but as how the history books view him as that is what the thread is about.

DrunkenKitty

Nov 20, 2008
-Zen- said:
I think he was actually a decent President with good intentions. There are some things he did that I don't agree with, but he's certainly not the worst President this country has seen.
Can you name a president that was worse for foreign relations, environmental issues, the economy, or civil rights?

Didn't think so.

http://mikelove.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/deficit.gif

anti_strunt

Aug 26, 2008
kdragon1010 said:
hey anti_strunt,

If he truely believed Iraq (Sadam) had WMD's as was the initial reason given for going in there its the job of CIA and NSA to get intel like that. Now if he had initially said: "We're going to go into Iraq to remove a mass murdering evil dictator from power" I wouldn't have had as much a problem with it. As it was I felt betrayed by all the departments of the Federal Government that is supposed to make sure we send our men and women into harm's way for the right reasons.
What option did you pick?

Trivun said:
As a British guy I am unbiased, but looked at you Americans during Bush's terms in office, and wanted Obama to win the last election (hooray!). I can say that I feel Bush was a bit of an idiot and did make the wrong decisions, but he wasn't a bad person. He was a bad President for you to suffer, but he was well-intentioned (but just a bit of a twat).

anti_strunt said:
The President that single-handedly ended the "American Century"
Just what it says, flowery language and all: will George W. Bush be seen by history as the president who brought a century of indisputable American dominance to a close, more or less on his own - the president after whom American power and influence waned, as other powers grew to supplant it?
However, I can't help but disagree with the above comment. American dominance? Excuse me, not to cause offence but this is silly. The USA is not the most dominant country and never was. No country or citizen of a country can claim dominance in world affairs. I feel that the USA forgets its heritage given it was only given life by colonists from Europe, in particular France and the UK. Too many times I see Americans basically act big-headed as they go on about how America is the most important and dominant country in the world and that they are the greatest. I'm sorry, but you're not. I'm not saying Britain is best (with our government it definitely isn't), but I would like to see an end to American arrogance and thinking the world bows before you, especially when people say that the US President is the single most important person in the whole world.
Well, I'm not actually American; I'm Swedish. However, I do believe the past century has been largely shaped by America, for good or ill. If you think the assumtions behind that particular option are flawed, you can always pick another one.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
DrunkenKitty said:
-Zen- said:
I think he was actually a decent President with good intentions. There are some things he did that I don't agree with, but he's certainly not the worst President this country has seen.
Can you name a president that was worse for foreign relations, environmental issues, the economy, or civil rights?

Didn't think so.

I had no idea that the only way to measure an economy's success was by national debt.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
Fineldar said:
Why do people think he's the worst president ever? Even if everything the radical anti-Bush people said was true, with the exception of him being the worst president ever, there's still been clearly worse presidents.

I mean, come on, Andrew Jackson was a complete unapologetic douche bag who would send heart "Fuck you" to anyone who tried to suggest anything different than what he tried to do. The Bush administration may have done some illegal things, but not all of them were Bush, he just gets the blame for everything. He didn't even do as much constitution smashing as Lincoln. When the supreme court told Jackson to stop doing blatantly unconstitutional things, he just stuck his tongue out and said "Make me!".

Also I was the first to put into the poll a few minutes ago, but didn't make a post so, FIRST I/\/PUT!!!1!11!!
Where is all this Jackson/Lincoln hate coming from? This thread is about Bush.

Also, never. ever. EVER. nring up 'First' round these parts. You'll have to answer to the mods(if your lucky) sooner or later.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
-Zen- said:
DrunkenKitty said:
-Zen- said:

Didn't think so.

I had no idea that the only way to measure an economy's success was by national debt.
I agree with -zen-.

Also the drop happened when Clinton was out an about. I see another Harding/Hoover story.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
anti_strunt said:
Well, I'm not actually American; I'm Swedish. However, I do believe the past century has been largely shaped by America, for good or ill. If you think the assumtions behind that particular option are flawed, you can always pick another one.
Fair enough, I just feel that Americans are very arrogant with the way they talk about their own nation (no offence to Americans, I went to Florida last year and found everyone there to be extremely pleasant people). That said, I'm not disputing the fact that America largely shaped the world in the past century, as that is undeniably true. I'm just disputing the fact that America is the greatest country in the world, which it obviously isn't. Other countries can be seen as greater, even if they weren't more influencial. Plus America did intefere a lot with other countries, for example the Iraq invasion (which I agreed with only to stop Saddam, after that UK and US forces should have left), and the Vietnam War.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
The war in Iraq and other areas in the Middle Eastern Region is what messed up the budget. If 100000 missles are fired, 100000 missles need to be replaced..

stiver

Oct 17, 2007
I'm still amazed he got 8 years and not four. How much of a retarded party do you have to be to find someone unable to beat bush in a second election?

It'll likely still be years before we feel the full effect of this president. Taking a few American History courses have taught me however that he isn't the worst, just a really bad leader.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Samurai Goomba said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
He was a horrible president, the worst. The job of a President is to represent the people of America and considering his approval rating was at 30% he obviously failed to do that. Nixon didn't even get that low. History will view him as another Hoover.
Hoover didn't cause the Depression, you know. He just took office as the Depression started happening.

From what I know of history, Warren G. Harding was the worst President. He hired all his friends into office, who promptly started stealing and abused their authority for their own petty gain.
Yes, true Harding was the one that caused the depression, but if you look at the history books, it places the blame on Hoover. My post isn't saying how he's looked at now but as how the history books view him as that is what the thread is about.
Alright, sure. In that case, I'll agree that the unwashed masses will call Bush Jr. the WORST President for quite some time.

You know why? Because the unwashed masses don't know anything about history.

Somebody else mentioned Lyndon(sp?) Johnson, and I think he's another good choice. Eisenhower was by and large a good President, but he also did things during the Cold War that were a bit boneheaded. Then there are all the slave-owning Presidents (you'd think they'd be REALLY unpopular these days) and Congressmen that lived during the founding years of America.

The Teapot Dome Scandal, however, makes a good case (this was JUST ONE of Harding's little "problems" in office) for Harding as the "worst" President.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teapot_Dome_scandal

Nov 11, 2008
America's Promblems will not be solved The Clinton Admisistration was amazing simply to the fact that you have a Far left President and a Far right House. It is the perfect system for you guys. Bill Clinton would object Religous bull shit and the house wouldn't let Bill do somthing fucking stupid. Basicly to quote Lewis Black " The Left are a party of no ideas while the Right of a party will bad idea's." Nothing was done to spend money and only to gain money. Alas the American's money went up because they didn't have to worry about shit in the white house because nothing was being done.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
s0denone said:
fluffylandmine said:
He had the best of intentions but his advisors were not by any means the best and the world seemed to be crumbling around him(economy, 9/11, katrina, etc.).

I feel sorry for him, even if he was not perfect by any means(that's for sure), the way he was treat was a tad bit disgraceful(I mean he is still a human being).
It's 9/11's fault that he got his second period.
If not for all the misínformed "Axis of Evil" thing aswell as the "War for Freedom" and "War on Terror" campaigns, he wouldn't have been elected again.
I blame his victory on two things:

1. Kerry was just too impersonable.
2. He had campaign trickery going on.

senataur

Aug 21, 2008
Worst. In living memory.
Worse than Nixon, Worse than Carter (and thats saying something)

Though to be fair, worst not so much for his own actions, but the actions of the administration he built around himself. Clueles puppet in the palms of others.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
fluffylandmine said:
s0denone said:
fluffylandmine said:
He had the best of intentions but his advisors were not by any means the best and the world seemed to be crumbling around him(economy, 9/11, katrina, etc.).

I feel sorry for him, even if he was not perfect by any means(that's for sure), the way he was treat was a tad bit disgraceful(I mean he is still a human being).
If not for all the misínformed "Axis of Evil" thing aswell as the "War for Freedom" and "War on Terror" campaigns, he wouldn't have been elected again.

Good intentions?

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
s0denone said:
fluffylandmine said:
s0denone said:
fluffylandmine said:

Good intentions?
In America political campains are done by the party, the real person doesn't do much. I forgot you were Danish.

Wouldukindly said:
I'd like to note that if I was American I'd still vote the corpse of Andrew Jackson in instead of Bush...why? Because as insane as Jackson was, goddamn he was my kind of insane. I mean, wasn't his last words about wanting to kill his Vice President or something? He fought so many duels history has a hard time keeping track, and he wailed on his own assassin. Whatever hate you have against Jackson, you have to admit, he kept things interesting.

Yes I support psychopaths in the White House, just because I like being amused by their antics. If that makes me a bad person...
I agree 9001% with you on that.

bazookabob

Nov 17, 2008
I think he had a few good intentions but they are greatly overshadowed by the "not so good" intentions of his advisers and staff (likely himself as well to some degree), the rampant corruption that ran through his presidency, his absence from the office (he took far more vacations than any other President in history), the way he and his organization avoided from telling Americans the truth, his invasion of privacy policies, his failed educational plans, and lack of oratory skills. That list is not all inclusive, and I'm not even going to get started on how bad his terms have been for our economy and his ambitious war in the Middle East. These last eight years I've watched as my country essentially fall apart around me. I am however intelligent enough to know that the main reason all these happened is because my fellow Americans refused to stand united and question the workings of our government until it was too late. I'm hoping these last eight years have thought us something. In the end I do feel a small degree of sympathy for President Bush, but I'm ecstatic that he's finally gone.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
fluffylandmine said:
s0denone said:
fluffylandmine said:
s0denone said:
fluffylandmine said:

Good intentions?
In America political campains are done by the party, the real person doesn't do much. I forgot you were Danish.
That's all well and good, but still; If it hadn't been for 9/11, he wouldn't have gotten nearly as many "legit" votes, assuming he had some sort of "trickery" going on.