Poll: The Most Realistic Game Ever - Would You Play It?

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
So let's say for a moment that a game studio came out with the most realistic game ever. The graphics are as close to reality as technologically possible, and the game is as immersible as it can be while still being on a screen. The A.I. is perfect and accurately reflects actual people's behavior (although the characters aren't real people you know). The game takes place in a somewhat identical version of plant Earth, and the game somehow scans your face and creates a virtual copy of you with the same appearance, capabilities, and current living circumstances (job, home, ect.). The game passes in real time, your character requires basic necessities to survive, and other than the ability to save and reload, your character has no more powers than you do.

Long story short, it'd be as perfect a simulation of reality as you can get while still being on a computer screen. On the other hand, it's no more fantastic or fun than real life, and the only bonus is you can save and load game states. Would you play a game like that?

I just thought this would be an interesting question to ask because there's been a push lately for increased realism and this would be the logical conclusion to that movement.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
If I wanted realism I wouldn't be sitting here... and I sure as hell wouldn't be paying $60 for 6 hours of shit that is just outside my bloody door.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
I wouldn't. I never liked things like the sims or animal crossing or anything of that ilk, and I don't think making them more realistic would make it more compelling.

Now if they then took all that technology and put it into something worth playing, that might be neat.

DexTEnt

Sep 6, 2012
Good question! Id be stoked to see how it is because life can bring us down sometimes and we all need a happy alternative.. I just think well all go corrupt like in gamer.. :|

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
DexTEnt said:
Good question! Id be stoked to see how it is because life can bring us down sometimes and we all need a happy alternative.. I just think well all go corrupt like in gamer.. :|
Welcome to the escapist.

OT: No, If I want realisim I will go outside.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
DexTEnt said:
Welcome to the escapist, stay out the basement (I'm still not sure what the basement is)

I will have to confiscate your cookies *Snatch*, standard procedure.

OT: Heck no, real life is boring why would I want to play it?!

DexTEnt

Sep 6, 2012
yuval152 said:
DexTEnt said:
Welcome to the escapist.

OT: No, If I want realisim I will go outside.
Very true. Id just like to see where were getting in the game industry though, i wouldnt make it my life haha i do a lot of street sports(Free Running, Skating, etc) sooooo ya

Reality > Virtual Reality

DexTEnt

Sep 6, 2012
lRookiel said:
DexTEnt said:
Welcome to the escapist, stay out the basement (I'm still not sure what the basement is)

I will have to confiscate your cookies *Snatch*, standard procedure.

OT: Heck no, real life is boring why would I want to play it?!
COOKIE?!

Le Escapist stealing my cookies...

And i play real life because i use l33t h4x

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Nope. I'm not making a character go to the bathroom, and do all sort of stuff like that. What if, in game, your character is constipated for an hour. Well, there goes your fun as you sit there while your character sits there. That alone is enough to keep me away.

Anyway, I don't want that much realism in my games.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
I'll be having too much fun breaking it as much as it took making it. Let me break out the checklist.
Let's see: collision launcher, wall clipping, duplicating objects...

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
What's it mean if the only thing I could think to do that would actually be fun is stealing a Ferrari and speeding threw Digital realistic traffic?

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Nope. I'm fine living my life as is. I don't really need to experience it again but virtual style.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I don't think a single person would just not play a perfect simulation of life. You'd at least try it if you could.

Stainlesssteele4

Jul 5, 2011
Probably not. I play video games for the escapism.
Graphics are one thing. I would love the most realistic graphic engine! But, as for game mechanics, I'm not a huge proponent for realistic gameplay.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Probably not, as knowing most developers these days it'd probably be full of DLC and shitty DRM that makes it unplayable.

I'd probably give it a few gos, but honestly I play games to get a much different experience to my daily life. Playing a game like that would probably get depressing really quickly, or easy to confuse with reality.