Poll: The TF2 Insult

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It's free and it's great. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of TF2, but I've been playing it since 2007 and this is the best thing that could've happened to the game. More people can play it and that's great. If you're unlucky to find servers with nasty and awful people playing, then that's just bad luck.

So, resuming, you're overreacting. If you don't like it, there are litterally thousands of games you could play instead.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
I demand 1 free hat for each class for all who purchased TF2 regularly.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Some of us are poor and have to use a combination of trade-ins, quarters found under the couch, money from collecting cans, and possibly male prostitution to afford even one game. Seriously. I sold my soul, several good games, and my dignity to pick up a copy of Alice: Madness Returns last week.

Free games are a godsend for us po' folk (thank you, PSN outage!). Get over it.

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Nasrin said:
I'm excited it's free. I'm downloading it as we speak on mah Steam account. It's nice (sometimes) to not be bleeding money for my love of gaming.
Well, there is a match on the Escapist servers in an hours time....
Give me a bit to warm up! I haven't even finished downloading it yet and I've never played before.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Nasrin said:
Give me a bit to warm up! I haven't even finished downloading it yet and I've never played before.
If you ever need a bit of practice, it has online bots that you can do matches with, other than Payload maps, I think (which involve pushing a cart). Take it easy on the difficulty slider if you do that, the Bots are actually pretty smart and I got my butt kicked by 23 of them when I put it on the hardest difficulty.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
Let us review.

Valve has one of the best anti-cheat and anti-grief systems in gaming. We have the ability to vote people out of a game for being jackasses. You are not forced to buy anything from the store. You are not forced to wear hats. You are not forced to craft, trade for, use, or even keep any item you find. You are not forced to wear this hat which you call an insult. You are not forced to play this game. You are not forced to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I am sorry you feel the way that you do. Should you give up entirely on TF2, you will be missed. The next time I stand upon my last control point in the final seconds, whilst my team dies around me until I am the last man remaining, I shall think of you. When my minigun chews the last of it's ammo, the last sentry falls, and the BLU bastards finally take me, I shall cry a single solitary tear while looking at the team roster and seeing that we have one slot left unfilled.

Or maybe you will find a way to look past the bullshit they've tacked onto this game, as I have, and you will fight beside me to glorious victory. As my body falls, you will charge out of the respawn room firing not one, not two, but three unboosted crockets into the mass of BLUs while their pitiful Sniper stands in the back and curses his own cowardice for not running ahead and dying with his team. On this day, perhaps I shall even let you touch one of my guns. Maybe I can make extra Sandvich, and we will eat together while laughing at the corpses of our fallen enemies.

What do you say, comrade?

Apr 5, 2008
La Barata said:
Hey, just starting this with a bit of a rant. I love TF2. It's one of my favourite games. Well, it WAS. Since September 30, 2010, The MannConomy update, TF2 has been on a slippery slope to complete ruin. Today, it's finally happened.
TF2 is dead.

The thing that I take offense to the most, though, is what they decided to offer those who already paid for the game.
Wow dude, talk about overreacting. I bought TF2 for £6.99 a couple of years ago during/after a free weekend which saw me introduced to the wallet-drainer and PC gaming revolution that is Steam. I have friends who still play it regularly and it's a mainstay on my HDD even if I don't log in often.

It's very far from dead, you are making stuff up out of thin air. It's still one of the most popular online shooters and almost without doubt the most polished and balanced one around. Going Free-to-play will bring in more players, more servers and better matches. Are you more upset that someone today will get something free that you originally paid for? News for you, things change. You buy a car, it won't be worth the same when you sell it. A game that was £30 on release will be £10 18 months later (unless it's published by Activision). You've enjoyed it at a price you considered worth it for almost a year. If you'd bought it two days ago at full-whack, I'd say your comments could be justified, but otherwise stop whining and enjoy the game.

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
La Barata said:
The thing that I take offense to the most, though, is what they decided to offer those who already paid for the game.

We get a hat.
We ALL get a hat. The same hat.

This hat is just an insult. When other games have become free to play, they offered some sort of compensation to the people who actually paid the $20 for it. We get a hat. They're insulting us. They're waving their bloody item system, the start of all this crap, in our faces and taunting us for actually caring enough to pay for it.

(p.s. There ARE differences between free and paid for games. Paid for [you have to pay at least $1] get to wear hats. That's about it)
I got the game on monday, and all I got was this stupid hat.

Kinda pisses me off.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Vigormortis said:
How is an influx of new players, regardless of intent, a bad thing? Isn't the point of a multiplayer game to have MULTIPLE PEOPLE playing?

It's been less than a day and I'm already frackin' sick of hearing people ***** about TF2 going free to play. These self-entitled twits are even going so far as to ***** about Valve giving them free stuff! For the love of God, grow up. Instead of bitching about it, either acknowledge the upsides (which far outweigh any cons), or go play something else. No one will miss your incessant whining. And, with the bevy of new players coming, our servers will be full and active.

Why not join the ranks of the COD "hardcore" players. Then you'll get your game that never changes over years of play. Hell, you won't even need to deal with the Mann Co. Store! 'Course, you'll have to spend $15 or more on a couple of extra maps, but that's okay. I mean, it's not like you can't just get them via an unlock or anything. Right?

[edit] To clarify, this isn't directed solely at the OP. I've been on a few servers this evening already and far too many people were whining about this latest update.
My thoughts exactly.
I'm actually happy its free now. Now I can recruit my irl friends to play. Annoys the hell out of me that people are acting like its the end of the world and that TF2 has become the devil himself.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
No, but only because all of the new players has ruined all my favorite quite servers that I play on to relax. Oh and the hat they gave us. It looks like crap. I'd rather they'd give us a random hat, or maybe some of the new weapons. I'm also annoyed by the fact that everyone from Brazil/Korea/Far away country has decided to join the US west servers.

Also broken sourcemod D:

Bajinga

Jun 11, 2011
It was a good idea.
TF2 has had one of the best sales on Steam and I think that making it free will almost definitely boost sales not just of Team Fortress, but of a lot of Valve games.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
"the TF2 insult"

the title itself is plain bullshit

and you are overreacting, bro

I paid WAY more than you have, and I'm totally cool with F2P now

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Well considering that I got TF2 for free with the Orange Box which was Portal with a few extra games to justify the price,I really don't care that it's gone Free to play,more power to them.
And you are overreacting a hell of a lot OP,it's just a way to get more players in and to get more people buying hats.

Thank you and good day sir.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
If you don't like it, stop playing TF2. You've obviously been around awhile and got your money out of it.
Aside from that, F2P doesn't necessarily mean only griefers are going to come in it means lots of people will come in and a portion of them will be griefers. You know what you do about that? find a server that bans them and watch the number of kicks per day skyrocket. Be glad TF2 servers arn't run by Valve thus forcing you to stick with griefers.

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
To the OP: Your overreacting way too much.

Now to my opinion on the whole situation.

I do have to say that there is a gigantic insult with Team Fortress 2. It's all the absolute whining people have with it.

As many pointed out, you don't need to use the Mann Co. store, item drops or Hats. As another poster pointed out there are vanilla servers but I'm sure people would still find something to whine about that.

Team Fortress 2 is a solid game and was well worth the money that Valve was asking for it, especially considering that from my understanding there have been over 200 updates to the game free of charge. Let me restate that... FREE OF CHARGE. They also allow user made maps, skins and sprays. Try and find that in most shooters now.

Browsing the Mann Co store they also have something called Map Stamps for COMMUNITY made maps. All proceeds minus applicable tax go directly to the creators of the map. Once again try and find another shooter that supports its community like this.

Another issue I see people constantly whining about is purchasing it then it going free to play. So what? They don't deserve special treatment, a cookie, or reimbursement yet Valve was nice enough to even throw in a free bonus to people who actually supported the game, even if it is just a hat. If someone purchased it in the last month or so, they should fall into the same category, they decided to support the game (thank you) and then it went free to play. It is not much different than if the game was bought and then went on sale the next day.

The game came out in 2007 and I think the free to play move is a great way to get people into an older game and boost the size of the community. I'd rather have a surge of new players than just the same people playing until the community dies, especially since this is pretty much a pure online game because face it playing alone with bots is not too much fun.

To upgrade to premium is only $1 and a lot of people are still whining, spitting and throwing a tempter tantrum like a two year old. Just enjoy the damn game, it isn't being ruined and Valve aren't trying to steal your precious monies.

If people can't get over their whining and crying and self entitlement then by all means just tell Valve to screw and find a new game. The community more than likely won't miss you if your this kind of person.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Only thing really annoying about that for me is that I bought TF2 for £6 last month...and I only just got a new computer that could run it today.

F2P can bring in a lot of retards (League of Legends for example) but it also means the communities expand faster and only the F2P players who actually like the game will stay.

If new players is a huge issue to you just wait a month or so till they realise it's not the game for them and only the players who want to learn remain