Poll: theory crafting the warcraft universe (SPECULATIONS AHOY)

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
because we all know we want this, besides the eventual team up of Gordon and Chell for HL3 aswell but hey cant have everything in life
lets get down to the nitty gritty, the trailer being released for the new film adaptation shows an avatar like style film of orcs vs humans
Nothing new there,besides all previous movie budgets might get blow outve the water for this one but the actual setting of this movie, the first game of the franchise, the first game is tiny comparative to the over all cannon that wow has become and it would be interesting to see how much of the classic rtss'will make it into the first film
Will we see a trilogy remake of movies based on the now classic rts games?, will we ever see a cannon ending to world of warcraft where we finally kill sargeras?, could blizzard time all of this together to release a fourth film and could they also base a rts off said film franchise or vice versa, please note that this is all speculation on where developers could take this iconic franchise
Now I'm here to ask your opinion on the possibility of such an ordeal
also I'm saying in the long and short will the current developers of wow let their creation outlive the?
Or will somebody take the reins of this cash cow once it becomes platinum level excellence and let it fall underneath the weight of its enormousness
please im dieing to know and maybe you are to :)
btw just adding this if the phrase cannon ending doesnt make sense, i joined the world of warcraft community to kill arthas then i learnt that some big bad ol titan was behind it all and if they somehow manage to pull another iron horde expansion(which they very well could) where we keep trying to kill another threat to azeroths safety after the main threat ie: Le titan of o so bad, I personally will consider it non cannon and cash cowing an extremely cashed out and tired cow, expansion and unsub accordingly

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I didn't even see a character that could potentially be Medivh (the only real character in Warcraft 1, that I can remember, I don't even recall the King/Warchief having names), so I'm guessing the movie is just, to paraphrase your own comment, Avatar-smashed-into-Warcraft world because money.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
Seth Carter said:
I didn't even see a character that could potentially be Medivh (the only real character in Warcraft 1, that I can remember, I don't even recall the King/Warchief having names), so I'm guessing the movie is just, to paraphrase your own comment, Avatar-smashed-into-Warcraft world because money.
thats interesting as the main characters appear to be include a king/war chief while I only speculate that medivh and guldan will be announced (I have't seen anything to dispute otherwise) however I believe that some of the speculation can be silenced with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyyfvBCKyZ8
for the horde etc

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Seth Carter said:
Lothar had a name in WC1, as did Blackhand, the Warchief.

A lot of the "story" was found in the book that came with the game, back when games had really awesome books that fleshed out the world for you since there wasn't always room on the floppies to contain a large scale story.

The source material is culled from Rise of the Horde and The Last Guardian books. Khadgar is in it, so is Medivh (being a central figure in TLG). Medivh is being played by Ben Foster (dude who played Angel in X-Men 3).

Chris Metzen is also part of the story direction, though who knows how much input he had and I've read a lot of hate towards him for Warcraft's wonky lore and retcons.

Dwarves may or may not show up, but probably not be integral to the story since its about the first war and not the later wars (Warcraft 2 and the books before WC3).

Gul'Dan is in it, as is Doomhammer, Hellscream, Durotan, Draka and Garona.

Blackhand is also being played by Clancy Brown aka The Kurgan.

Doomhammer is being played by Robert Kazinsky (dude who played the douchy Australian in Pacific Rim).

King Llane Wrynn is being played by Dominic Cooper (Howard Stark from Captain America and Agent Carter)

None of this is any way guaranteed to work out, but I'll personally give it a shot and I'm not expecting it to follow script exactly like the game universe and books.

Selucia

Feb 27, 2015
I feel like i would have been more hyped for this if wow hadn't made me spend the last year fighting the exact same characters and two years fighting stupid orcs again non stop, which i can assume was some kind of interlinking promotional idea to get the next generation of warcraft fans to actual know about most of the people in this movie.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Few points:

-It's "canon," not "cannon."

-Use paragraphs and proper spelling. PLEASE.

-I'd actually compare the film more to Planet of the Apes than Avatar (though Avatar's still been mentioned as a point of reference to its visual style).

-There's been talk of a trilogy for awhile, but I'd actually say it would make more sense to have the three films cover Orcs and Humans, Tides of Darkness, and Beyond the Dark Portal. WC3 is a strange beast in that a) I'd argue it doesn't need adaptation as much, as it already has a strong narrative), and b) you couldn't fit Reign of Chaos into a single movie IMO.

-The player characters of WC1 are the "Defender of the Crown"* and "Orgrim Doomhammer" respectively. Characters like Lothar and Medivh did make direct appearances, but very minor ones. Like I said, WC1 and 2 are very light on story within the games themselves, which gives far more creative freedom in the films. There's a reason that WC1 and 2 were easily novelized, while there's never been a novelization of WC3 (and I'd argue that there's no need - the WC3 sections of 'Arthas' notwithstanding).**

-The cast of the film...see http://wow.gamepedia.com/Warcraft_(film)#Cast_and_crew (seriously, even Wikipedia outright lists it).

-Sargeras is the logical endgame, but WoW will end when it ceases to be cost effective. And that might be never. Ultima Online and EverQuest are far older MMOs, and are still going.

-If you want my thoughts on a Warcraft IV, my personal inclination is to make it an alternate timeline that takes off after WC3. This isn't because "WoW sucks" or something stupid like that, but practicality. Many people who played the RTS never made the jump to WoW. Likewise, many people who were introduced to WoW aren't necessarily into RTS games. Since the RTS games are handled by Team 1, and WoW by Team 2, that doesn't mean development overlap, and there's a plenthora of lore that WC4 can pick and choose from to focus on in its narrative. So, at the end of the day, everyone's happy. WC4 is made, WoW isn't invalidated, everyone wins.

That said, there's been scuttlebutt that RTS WC games could be set in movie continuity, but "scuttlebutt" is the key word.

*http://wow.gamepedia.com/Defender_of_the_Crown

**Hasn't stopped people from trying. See https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2823203/1/Warcraft-The-Third-War for an example.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
Hawki said:
Few points:

-I'd actually compare the film more to Planet of the Apes than Avatar (though Avatar's still been mentioned as a point of reference to its visual style).

-There's been talk of a trilogy for awhile, but I'd actually say it would make more sense to have the three films cover Orcs and Humans, Tides of Darkness, and Beyond the Dark Portal. WC3 is a strange beast in that a) I'd argue it doesn't need adaptation as much, as it already has a strong narrative), and b) you couldn't fit Reign of Chaos into a single movie IMO.

-The player characters of WC1 are the "Defender of the Crown"* and "Orgrim Doomhammer" respectively. Characters like Lothar and Medivh did make direct appearances, but very minor ones. Like I said, WC1 and 2 are very light on story within the games themselves, which gives far more creative freedom in the films. There's a reason that WC1 and 2 were easily novelized, while there's never been a novelization of WC3 (and I'd argue that there's no need - the WC3 sections of 'Arthas' notwithstanding).**

-The cast of the film...see http://wow.gamepedia.com/Warcraft_(film)#Cast_and_crew (seriously, even Wikipedia outright lists it).

-Sargeras is the logical endgame, but WoW will end when it ceases to be cost effective. And that might be never. Ultima Online and EverQuest are far older MMOs, and are still going.

-If you want my thoughts on a Warcraft IV, my personal inclination is to make it an alternate timeline that takes off after WC3. This isn't because "WoW sucks" or something stupid like that, but practicality. Many people who played the RTS never made the jump to WoW. Likewise, many people who were introduced to WoW aren't necessarily into RTS games. Since the RTS games are handled by Team 1, and WoW by Team 2, that doesn't mean development overlap, and there's a plenthora of lore that WC4 can pick and choose from to focus on in its narrative. So, at the end of the day, everyone's happy. WC4 is made, WoW isn't invalidated, everyone wins.

That said, there's been scuttlebutt that RTS WC games could be set in movie continuity, but "scuttlebutt" is the key word.

**Hasn't stopped people from trying. See https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2823203/1/Warcraft-The-Third-War for an example.
I will certainly try to accomplish all that is asked of me, attendance record like and old punch card and bad habits are a likely cause, but scuttlebutt...the word intrigues me, what does it mean in this instance might I ask?

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Hawki said:
Few points:

The problem with this is that it discredits both properties and destroys the universe that has been built.

World of Warcraft is in all essences the culmination of Warcraft 3's lore and then expanded upon.

I would like to propose an alternative.

Halt the expansions for WoW for 3-4 years but keep updating content with patches that set-up warcraft 4.
Warcraft 4 releases and is a result of a supposed new 20-30 or even 50 year time-skip in the lore.

This could set up a WoW 2 OR Blizzard could choose to pick up in WoW again in expansions with the timeskip, or make expansions untill the timeskip is covered and then pickup the story again from there.

So there's 2 options there :
Do a timeskip and re-start WoW where warcraft 4 ends after the time-skip.
Or
Do a timeskip and work WoW into the timeskip that provides the means to do a Warcraft 4 without destroying the lore or either game's progress.

edit:

Timeskips aren't unheard of in the warcraft lore setting anyway, ask Thrall,Varian Wrynn or the entire bleeding region of lordearon about that one.