Poll: "There should be NO homework" A petition to get rid of homework in schools.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Homework seems to be one of a number of methods to grind knowledge into a person. Maybe they fall asleep in class and cheat on tests, but at least if they do their homework they have to be familiar enough with the material to do it.

Granted, they could just cheat on homework too, but it's worth a shot on the teacher's part. If I were a teacher I'd try to get a balance though so there wasn't too much homework and hopefully it'd be fun sometimes.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Only problem is when they send minimal homework for a long time, then, suddenly, in the span of a few days, they send bleeding loads of work. Usually, though, it's not a problem.

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
you have not been to modern schools, at 5th grade I had 6 hours of homework a night and I was fast most kids got home spent about an hour relaxing then it was homework until 10 or 11, and most of it was hard algebra type stuff.

'Aredor

Jan 24, 2010
I really liked how he linked obesity to homework, flawless logic. All those other countries that don't suffer that much from child obesity certainly don't have their children do homework. And giving less homework will surely ensure that the children go outside to play, none of them would get the idea to play video games or, say, sleep 12 hours a day. 12 hours, really?

OT: There's surely a lot of pointless homework going around, but that doesn't mean there should be less or even no homework, just that it should be improved.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Sober Thal said:
A petition to rid of homework in schools.

I agree 100%.

Homework should be done at home.
Dat winpost.

And yeah, I can tell the guy's a complete retard without even clicking on the link.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
As long as the homework applies what you've learned throughout the week, I'm definitely for it.

If for whatever reason we did get rid of homework, I say they should make kids go to school on the weekends where the classes are review.

Oh, and the author's reasoning is bat shit retarded. Since when does being fat mean your smart? Also, WHY ARE YOU WAITING THAT LONG TO DO HOMEWORK!? Do it earlier, idiot!

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
What are you, five? Shut up, kid, and learn how to be a person. Homework is a crucial part of learning and understanding. However, you can spice it up by being innovative with what you produce when you do homework.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
He moans about missing out on sleep, but unless he goes to bed immediately after he gets in, I see no reason why he can't just do it when he gets in. That leaves him the rest of the day/night to do as he pleases.

Homework teaches life skills, in time management and prioritizing, setting aside time at the week end or getting into a routine, as well as the actual subject.

Plus it's good revision to make sure you know what you're doing, without teacher supervision.

TL;DR suck it up, it'll help you in the long run.

wookiee7

Nov 15, 2010
Homework is annoying as hell, but what is the point of taking it away? Kids are stupid enough these days. Come to think of it: few of my peers do their homework at home. They all do it at school when they have free time. Taking away homework does nothing. Homework helps squeeze in that extra work that wouldn't fit in the school.

I do believe that homework can be changed for the better, though. We need to reform the school system (not just because of homework), it's horribly broken right now and only getting worse. Especially under the "no child left behind" policy.

Maclennan

Jul 11, 2010
I was lucky and once I during high school I only had a few very rare instances where I had homework and I never did better. I went from top 20% to the top 10% when homework got phased out. Homework is more or less just practice for those who already have a handle on the concept while those who don't have a handle on it either don't perform the exercise or they perform it incorrectly and reinforce their lack of understanding. Homework is only beneficial if the parents at home are both able and willing to partake in making sure their child has a handle on the subject matter. For grade school I would hope any parents could at least understand the subject and good parents would help reinforce a proper understanding but I think we can all agree there are a lot of parents that are not helping their children which neglects any benefit the home work could of had. Once high school comes around even good parents may not be able to help, my parents couldn't make heads or tails of my work and now rely on me to help my sister who was not lucky enough to go to the same high school as I did. The high school my sister attends is currently overcompensating for an overloaded curriculum by dumping vast heaps of work sheets and learn it yourself projects on them to the point it rivals my university workload. So the systems is outdated and they need to do some early intervention for elementary with neglectful parents and coordination between classes in high school would make all the difference

English was never my strong suit so yes my grammar could be better but I made up for it in science.

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
Unless school suddenly gets harder in the next few years fuck homework. Giving extra work to do during my free time just pissed me off.

Just give me a fucking quiz everyday and then keep the one big test at the end of the week. Seriously a quiz to start every class off to see if you remember shit and then move the fuck on.

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
Snake Plissken said:
8-12 hours of sleep?! Seriously?! 17-year-olds don't NEED 12 hours of sleep. Sure, some of us LIKE 12 hours of sleep, but why the hell would this person argue that 8-12 is necessary?
Some people aren't insomniacs. I know people that can live on 2 hours of sleep, but others like me need at least 10 hours to feel rested. However this isn't because of homework, it's because I have to wake up at 5 in the morning.

Xenos Eriadin

Mar 11, 2009
Kids have no time to exercise because of homework?
Hasn't this kid heard of weekends?

I don't care how much homework you get, it isn't going to take 48 hours plus the remaining hours on a Friday.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
It's a necessary evil.

I know if I didn't do the homework, I wouldn't know how to do the problems on the test or even bother with going over the information.

Besides, what kid hasn't found a possible friend because they both lamented at how screwed they were or tried to pool their answers to get a completed project.

Also, without homework, tests would be worth a hell of a lot more. No thanks. I like my Final Exam = 30 percent. I still have a chance to pass without it.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Exterminas said:
Repetition and practice are the keys to long lasting knowledge. Homework is a easy way to do that. But of course it has to be good homework. Meaning that it should offer a variety in difficulty, to allow a pupil to self-check his level of understanding.

It should not be a monotonous grind on one difficulty level. Boring the good students, intimidating the bad ones.
eeeeexactly!
Some things need to be practised and refreshed again and again and again
and we shouldnt waste the precious time in class for that, so some homework grind is sometimes necessary (talking about grammar for example). You can of course create combined exercises, with hidden parts of already known principles, but thats not that easy to do in all subjects. For example in an essay its hard to predict which constructions a pupil might use.I love to give em creative tasks, because the writing is next to the lack of reading again a big issue with many kids today. (and half of them log in to the escapist , shouting TL;DR. THATS why we need an internet license)

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
This is some of the most fallacious logic I've seen this side of Glenn Beck. Also, let's not forget that internet petitions in general are a pe-retty ineffective way to make a point.

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
First, I accidentally said No when I meant YES

Okay, well I was always a smart kid and I was usually was the kid who would just look at the board, listen to what the teacher was saying, and still get A's and B's on the tests/quizzes without doing the HW. Well, senior year in high school I have AP Bio where the teacher is trying to cram what should be a thorough and detailed hour and half lecture into a rushed 45-60 minute time frame with review work crammed in at the last 30 min of class. Along with that the work she gives is optional. In my math class the teacher assigns us HW but does not check it only to give us a HW quiz the day before the test.

Well, being the smart kid I thought I was, I simply just tried to pay attention like in years past. Well, guess what, I been getting C's and D's throughout my first term. I just scraped a B in Bio and got a pitiful C+ in math. Now that I grew up and realized what HW is supposed to be for, I've been studying and doing the work more often. Yea, it sucks doing it only because I've been used to not doing anything for a while, but my efforts are paying off and I am so far maintaining a B in both classes.

I'm glad reality kicked in now as opposed to college; because if I didn't change my ways now, I would most likely get (for a lack of a better word) raped in college.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Actually I voted YES, but now I'm thinking there shouldn't be any homework, but school should last a full 8-9 hours.

This will give them the same amount of work over-all but will make it easier for parents who work as they'll no longer need to organise baby-sitters after school.