Poll: Thieves Guild, Companions, Dark Brotherhood and Mages College

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
Which is your favorite faction and why?

Mine personally is the Dark Brotherhood. They have a badass Argonian, a vampire girl and a sweet talking black dude (no racism intended)

But the Companions's guild have Werewolves, and my wife is that chick who doesn't wear a bro. So they're pretty cool too.

The Thieves guild are assholes as far as I could tell

And the College is alright.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I like the Companions the best, but I think that the Mage's College had the best quests.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Im in the mages and companions, but Im only with compainions for
The werewolves
so mages.

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
Radeonx said:
I like the Companions the best, but I think that the Mage's College had the best quests.
Yeah, totally.

The Phisic/Phsyjic (Whatever you call them) order was pretty badass with their Prince of Persia time manipulation. Maybe I could join them in the future. The Time Stop shout is pretty weaksauce

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
So far I like the Companions the best. They were a little short but you get some nice "perks".

AddytheGreat

May 25, 2009
I'm tied, the Dark Brotherhood had the best main quest (of the ones I've done) it was epic as all hell, and that ending. The Thieves guild has some really fun quests. If the missions of the Guild were with the story line of the Brotherhood, it would be absolutely amazing

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
i like using magic. But i prefer the people of the Thieves Guild more.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
I prefer the Companions, but the Dark Brotherhood had awesome missions. The College was pretty cool too, except that one mission involving the staff. Thieves Guild, I fucking hate. They're a bunch of fucking douchebags, who are teamed up with the biggest ***** in all of Skyrim.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I've only joined the College of Winterhold so far, so them, but my experiences with both the Theives Guild and the Companions have been mixed. I haven't even seen the Dark Brotherhood outside of my (failed) assassination attempts.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
College of Winterhold for me.

The amazing tower room you get when you're the Archmage was my first place to live and it has an enchanting table right fucking there, love it. Plus the fight against Morokei the dragon priest lich was one of the most epic and difficult fights to date for me.

franconbean

Apr 30, 2011
I voted dark brotherhood because they are the only main guild quest I have completed. I would probably change my vote to the companions or mages guild if I were to complete their quest lines. To be really honest, the missions with the DB are really fun and it does contain one of the best quests I have done in the game so far, but
The ending where pretty much everyone dies (AGAIN god damn it) was like "Oh for fucks sake, I should have known this shit would happen"

Also, the thieves guild seem like terrible human beings in this one, far from the noble thieves of Cyrodil, even if a few of them do have some pretty deep sob stories to tell you.

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
The College of WInterhold have been the most enjoyable for me so far. I've enough Companion quests to know what it means to have a wolfish smile. But I completed the College and Dark Brotherhood and I preferred the College. It was just a little more epic in my opinion.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Iv'e only finished the mage guild quests, and am only going through the Companions quest for a certain ability. The Mage guild quests are really good, and the arch mage robes you get are amazing for a mage like me. Even though they look stupid.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Thieves' Guild was my personal favorite as far as the actual quests went. I like that they're different and more dickish than the Thieves Guild from Oblivion, it'd get pretty repetitive if they were exactly the same. I also really like the Companions.

Mostly for letting you become a werewolf but still. Some of them are actually useful to have as followers as well.

College of Winterhold wasn't really memorable to me, except for maybe the final dungeon. Dark Brotherhood was okay, the final quests were pretty cool.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
I've only tried the Companions and the Mage guild. I'm not big on sneaking and pickpocketing, so the Thieves guild isn't looking so hot.

Also not big on murdering innocent people, so the Dark Brotherhood isn't looking so hot either. I'm sure I'll give them a try, but I doubt I'll go far in either.

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
I like the Thieves Guild.

- my favorite characters (Vex and the guy with the scottish accent).
- up until now the best questline I did (finished all, playing the Bard College now).
- I got to meet my Nocturnal in person.
- I play a thief-like character.

Also, you forgot the Bard college!

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
I enjoy Dark Brotherhood, especially now that you can do proper assassinations! It is so fulfilling to sneak behind your target and neatly slit their throat.

Thieves Guild is the second, I don't know what I would do without them. I don't know what it is about this game (and Oblivion) that wakes the inner kleptomaniac in me. Must. Have. Shiny. Object.

franconbean said:
Also, the thieves guild seem like terrible human beings in this one, far from the noble thieves of Cyrodil, even if a few of them do have some pretty deep sob stories to tell you.
I agree. In Oblivion their "rules and noble quests" made them seem less like petty criminals. I remember them fondly. In Skyrim they are rude and generally not likable. I haven't completed that many quests yet because I mainly need them to move the thousands of little items that for some reason end up in my pockets. Maybe they'll become nicer later...

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Haven't got to the dark brotherhood yet, just about to finish the thieves guild. The Thieves guild is the best so far for me. I like the whole stealth aspect of breaking in and then leaving (hopefully) unnoticed.
Asmundr said:
The Mages College.

The storyline was just epic. That is all.
The dungeons were nice but it was so predictable that the High elf was going to betray you slash try to kill you.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I'm partial to the Brotherhood. I was a Companion for awhile, but I hated how everyone was so rude and I hated all their honor talk so I joined the Dark Brotherhood. I feel I fit in much better now. And Arnbjorn is a beast. ;)

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
i loved the Thieves Guild in Oblivion back when they were something, a real organisation :p

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
College of Winterhold

The questline didn't make any sense, but I got some sweet gear out of it and the arch-mage's quarters.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
I like the simplicity of the Dark Brotherhood quests. Go here, kill someone who may or may not deserve it, get a reward. The Thieves' Guild has gotten steadily worse since Morrowind, the Companions I haven't really tried yet and the Mages do have very interesting quests but overall the Dark Brotherhood is my favourite.

Bendebec

Jun 18, 2009
My favorite was the Dark Brotherhood, however I was really sad how it seems all of the groups you can join now have taken a fall from grace since oblivion. Those who have played will know what I mean

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
I've only done the Mages College because of my roleplay. Yea I'm a stealthy bow/shock argonian but I'm chaotic good, and do not steal or kill.

Plus I'm not melee so that knocks out champions.

There's always other races to perform those guilds with, I plan to do sneaky pure dagger character next run through...if I ever finish the main quest or some such.

Hell, I won't even do certain quests because of my roleplay so yea, replay value, suck it.

TL;DR: I can't vote, only did the Mages College out of roleplay reasons.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Thieves' Guild

I like the Dark Brotherhood as well, but the Thieves Guild is a huge improvement over Oblivion, and someone worked really hard to come up with different kinds of quests.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
We have the same wife? What are you implying?!

For me, Dark Brotherhood. The Thieves' Guild are mostly all dickheads, a lot of the Companions are dickheads, the Mages' College was good, Dark Brotherhood was better.
I miss Veezara and Gabriella though ._.

M4t3us

Oct 13, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
Iv'e only finished the mage guild quests, and am only going through the Companions quest for a certain ability. The Mage guild quests are really good, and the arch mage robes you get are amazing for a mage like me. Even though they look stupid.
They don't look stupid... and if you wear them with the Morokei Mask you while mounted on Darkmere you look like the headless horseman:

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
In my opinion:
Dark Brotherhood's not as good as TES IV.
I've not done the Companions as it just seems like mercenary work.
So far, the Mages guild is much, much better than its Morrowind & Oblivion counterparts and very interesting.
Thieves guild's story is fucking brilliant, possibly the best so far, but I felt out of place there with my moral allignment. Regardless, I got my head around it and the reward at the end of it is exceptional to a stealth-based character. Overall it's not too different from that of Oblivion's DB.

Shadows Risen

Nov 1, 2011
Dark Brotherhood. Loved that final mission.

Mage's College wasn't too bad either, although the ending was predictable. Not done a lot for the companions though, and haven't joined the thieves guild.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Haven't found the Dark Brotherhood yet, and only visited the Mage's College so I could find the information on the Elder Scroll. However, as for the other two, I rather like the Companions - particularly Vilkas and his Lithuanian accent. I don't know why, but I really like that guy.

And the Thieves Guild...they don't seem so bad. Maven is quite reasonable when you get to know her, and I'm gathering every possible ally against the Thalmor. Hopefully.

One other thing - I like the way the Mage's College is a vast improvement over the Mage's Guild in Oblivion. For one, you actually have to be able to use magic. I reached the top of the Mage's Guild despite not being able cast simple spells. For the College, though, you need at least some skill, if only in Restoration. So that counts for something.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
The Dark Brotherhood, easily. Best storyline in the game IMO, it outperformed the main story by far if you ask me.
...although it's pretty much the same thing as the Thieves guild, when it comes to the overarching story.

And...
I was completely heartbroken when Astrid betrayed you. I loved her SO MUCH, and I didn't even want that dead old hag and her retarded fanboy clown in the Sanctuary in the first place!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Probably Dark Brotherhood. Whoe you assassinate is kind of amazing and Cecero is awesome.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
fuck them.
Bards College all the fucking way man.

but seriously, Dark Brotherhood. getting paid to kill... better than getting paid to steal. i think there's a Speech perk for that anyway. plus i'm RPing as a Khajit assassin.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
Always have to go with the Dark Brotherhood, they are always so deliciously evil. Also, Cicero is so freaking creepy. Whoever did his voice acting did a really good job

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I wanted to kill the Dark Brotherhood. Sadly Skyrim didn't have the courtesy to tell me Astrid wasn't flagged as a Quest NPC when I got kidnapped after doing that one kid's bidding to kill Grelod The Kind.

Now I got the Brotherhood starter quest stuck in my quest log, so I hurt everyone enough that Nazir demands me pay 500 gold before tipping my helmet and leaving.

Sep 14, 2009
wow the results are quite spread out...

looks like bethesda did their job then.

i haven't done them all, but companions was quite fun, as i felt i had something to fight for kind of, and the college of winterhold was good too (plus all the alchemy ingredients i got to loot while everyone slept? awesomeeee.)

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
The mages guild was fucking terrible.

I uncover a mysterious giant ball and somehow managed to get it into the college, some random order of mages come out of nowhere to tell me something bad will happen and to prepare for it. The most obvious mage in the entire fucking college tries to have magical sex with the ball, from which the arch-mage dies in a blackout, no fucks are given. I get some magical staff and the other important mage woman dies, no fucks are given. I kill the evil mage and the random order of mages appear again, they tell me the world isn't ready for its power and leaves with the ball, a lovely deus ex machina on top of an already shit storyline. I'm made arch-mage as a means to an end, and no more fucks are given.

It felt so rushed, I didn't get to see the arch-mage die. The other mage woman dies whilst I'm in the Labyrinth place, I don't get to see the evil mages growth in power and her death; it's just explained in a sentence when I come back. The order of mages felt really contrived too, not only because of their role in the plot, but because you can't even join them. It would've been more interesting to be one of them than some mage who happens to stumble across a powerful artifact in an excavation. At the end I couldn't help but question "that's it?" I'm the arch-mage of some shithole college, not worthy enough to be given an explanation for what the fuck just happened, let alone the chance of being something more. In the thieves guild you're introduced into an exclusive group of skilled thieves blessed by Nocturnal herself (the scene meeting her is awesome too), the mages guild is so lackluster in comparison.

I've only done the thieves guild and mages guild so far, I did each on a character fitting to the role (mage for mages, thief/assassin for thieves) and I felt so much more immersed in the thieves guild. I'm currently doing the companions. I'd like to think I'm saving the best for last but I'm not sure, the thieves guild got pretty interesting in the last half.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
All of them apart from Dark BH...yet...

Currently running around for the Imperials as you get good stuffs =3

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
The Dark Brotherhood.
Because of that mage guy. He says funny things which are true.
Especially since I'm mainly a mage myself.
"Fireballs, you can't go wrong."

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
I like the DB but dislike many of their quests, alongside the Thieves Guild.

I just think half my targets should be in cities - not in some cave somewhere. It's not unique then, it's just another dungeon.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
M4t3us said:
ToastiestZombie said:
They don't look stupid... and if you wear them with the Morokei Mask you while mounted on Darkmere you look like the headless horseman:

Reminds me of a Ring Wraith from Lotr...

Pretty Badass xD

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Simeon Ivanov said:
sweet talking black dude (no racism intended)
"Cause one dog ain't enough and two is to few, it's me 'Three Dog' bringin' you all the music and news your little hearts can handle."

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
Simeon Ivanov said:
TheKasp said:
Also, you forgot the Bard college!
I can join the Bard's college? Sweet!
I only finished the first quest but this alone was amazing. Recovering an old verse and... "reconstructing" it to help the bards was just awesome!

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
Thyunda said:
One other thing - I like the way the Mage's College is a vast improvement over the Mage's Guild in Oblivion. For one, you actually have to be able to use magic. I reached the top of the Mage's Guild despite not being able cast simple spells. For the College, though, you need at least some skill, if only in Restoration. So that counts for something.
Yeah but I didn't like being named Arch-Mage for merely completely the questline. I won't complain about it too much because of the nice gear and all, but I am nowhere near the level of magical capability of the other members of the college and should not be the top mage in my opinion subsequently. But whatever, it's not big deal at the end of the day.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
I'm only on the third main story quest for the thieves guild but so far it has been MOTHERFUCKING AWESOME. I completed the companions and it was pretty sweet; I got a total thirteenth warrior vibe from those guys. College is pretty cool too. Haven't touched the DB yet but, of the three I've played, I like the Thieves Guild the best.

Addicted Muffin

Nov 6, 2010
I prefer the Thieve's Guild. In every game, they have interesting stories, and it focuses on a lesser used path. Most of my friends go in shield and sword or shooting fire balls everywhere. Seems no one plays the silent thief anymore.

Suicida1 Midget

Jun 11, 2011
At the moment i have completed the compainons and the mages collage. Only found and started the theives guild cuase of my five unsual gems.

Honestly the mages college gave out some amazing equipment. The staff of mangus drains sould gems like crazy but kills anything. Then thanks to a bug i was able to kill that dragon priest at lv 8 without anypoints in health and have a pratically unlimited supply of magic for my killer clouds of fire. (if you like magic and instakilling stuff DO THIS)

I must give points to the compainons, cause of the whole werewolf thing, you know its kinda boss.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
...Bard college?...*runs off*

Well out of all of them I like the Mage College quests the best ,why?, they made it fun for me if through I'm an imperial warrior...how the heck.

They still made it fun. :D

But I have completed all the guilds so far (Except Bards), so I am looking forward to that one.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Love the companions, but I feel that their questline was pretty short and uninspired :(

Also love me some Dark Brotherhood its a real shame though that (MASSIVE SPOILER AHEAD)

everyone but the sarcastic redguard and the 10 year old vampire die

HAvent done any College quests yet but i will start those on my next character

Mourning_Star

Egotistical Jerk
Sep 4, 2011
Dark Brotherhood hands down, they always have the best characters. Cicero is by far the most entertaining person in the entire game, and Lucien's reappearance is fun due to all of his dialogue.

Killing Astrid was the most pleasing moment of my entire existence, I hated that ***** and her husband TO DEATH.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'm at level 27 now and have yet to start any faction quests. I've joined the Thieves Guild and the Mages Guild (the latter only because I needed to join to get in and question someone for a different quest. I don't use magic at all). I'm gonna try to bring down the Dark Brotherhood if I can rather than join it. It doesn't make sense for my character to join them. The Thieves Guild doesn't really make sense either, though. But that was my favorite part of Oblivion, so I'll go through it anyway.

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
Dark Brotherhood: not as good as oblivion was, and the only 2 contracts I had fun in was killing the bride and the emperor, but otherwise, they are still great and awesome.

Mages Guild: much better then oblivion and morrowwind, but that's also not saying much. I never really liked the mages guild in any of them. But at least in this one, it was quailty quests unlike the huge drag of trying to get reccomdations on the last one.

Companions: again, much better then the warriors guild both towards storyline and characters. The quests were very well done and i love being a wolf sometimes :D.

Thieves Guild: EASILY THE BEST in Skyrim. No contest. The quests in this guild was done brilliantly along with the unlimited amount of side quests to do like burglary, heist, pickpocketing job, etc. And the whole thing feels like such a huge reward in the end. Again, easily the best guild in Skyrim.

If I made a list from 1-4.

Skyrim ranks:
1. Thieves Guild
2. Companions
3. Dark Brotherhood
4. Mages College

For oblivion however:
1. Dark FUCKING Brotherhood
2. Dark FUCKING Brotherhood
3. Who gives a crap, Dark FUCKING Brotherhood
4. Thieves guild I guess.
5. Who gives a crap.

HeallunRumblebelly

Aug 3, 2011
I think you'll find that most people inside these guilds that don't give training are just wearing giant red shirts. Expendable to say the least. Also--You seem to become the leader in all of these groups, why wouldn't they start suspecting you if the leader mysteriously dies right before you become the leader every time?

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Dark brotherhood, any group of people that allows me to instabackstabkill everything with those damn gloves coupled with my sneak skills(I get 30x damage with daggers backstabbing folk) make me happy.

Genibus

Nov 21, 2011
Bendebec said:
My favorite was the Dark Brotherhood, however I was really sad how it seems all of the groups you can join now have taken a fall from grace since oblivion. Those who have played will know what I mean
I was hoping for epic quests like the Brotherhood had in Oblivion, I was pretty sad especially with the final quest, a completely easy mode cop-out.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
The Companions are a bunch of tards.. I want to kill them all but not sure what would come of Whiterun. I only beat down that one guy so they could let me in and I wanted to slay the lot of them.

Other than them I havent messed around with any guilds.. I keep saying I want to see what this bard college is all about but never make it up there. I have insane ADD with this game, I am nearly level 35 and barely did any main or guild questing.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
What pisses me off is I am having a hell of time getting into either DB and the Guild.

Can't find Vex, got bored looking.

Meet the Jester dude and then said screw looking for the cave entrance.

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
The mages are pretty cool, but my warrior bias makes me feel more at home with the Companions, especially since they gave me my first brawl. Have not done thieves guild or dark brotherhood yet.

willis888

May 18, 2010
I liked the Mage questline, but I get the feeling that the title of "Archmage" is more of an albatross than an honor. They give you the title so fast and for so little effort, it kind of feels like nobody else is willing to accept the position because it would paint a huge target on them.