Poll: Thieves Guild, Companions, Dark Brotherhood and Mages College

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I wanted to kill the Dark Brotherhood. Sadly Skyrim didn't have the courtesy to tell me Astrid wasn't flagged as a Quest NPC when I got kidnapped after doing that one kid's bidding to kill Grelod The Kind.

Now I got the Brotherhood starter quest stuck in my quest log, so I hurt everyone enough that Nazir demands me pay 500 gold before tipping my helmet and leaving.

Sep 14, 2009
wow the results are quite spread out...

looks like bethesda did their job then.

i haven't done them all, but companions was quite fun, as i felt i had something to fight for kind of, and the college of winterhold was good too (plus all the alchemy ingredients i got to loot while everyone slept? awesomeeee.)

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
The mages guild was fucking terrible.

I uncover a mysterious giant ball and somehow managed to get it into the college, some random order of mages come out of nowhere to tell me something bad will happen and to prepare for it. The most obvious mage in the entire fucking college tries to have magical sex with the ball, from which the arch-mage dies in a blackout, no fucks are given. I get some magical staff and the other important mage woman dies, no fucks are given. I kill the evil mage and the random order of mages appear again, they tell me the world isn't ready for its power and leaves with the ball, a lovely deus ex machina on top of an already shit storyline. I'm made arch-mage as a means to an end, and no more fucks are given.

It felt so rushed, I didn't get to see the arch-mage die. The other mage woman dies whilst I'm in the Labyrinth place, I don't get to see the evil mages growth in power and her death; it's just explained in a sentence when I come back. The order of mages felt really contrived too, not only because of their role in the plot, but because you can't even join them. It would've been more interesting to be one of them than some mage who happens to stumble across a powerful artifact in an excavation. At the end I couldn't help but question "that's it?" I'm the arch-mage of some shithole college, not worthy enough to be given an explanation for what the fuck just happened, let alone the chance of being something more. In the thieves guild you're introduced into an exclusive group of skilled thieves blessed by Nocturnal herself (the scene meeting her is awesome too), the mages guild is so lackluster in comparison.

I've only done the thieves guild and mages guild so far, I did each on a character fitting to the role (mage for mages, thief/assassin for thieves) and I felt so much more immersed in the thieves guild. I'm currently doing the companions. I'd like to think I'm saving the best for last but I'm not sure, the thieves guild got pretty interesting in the last half.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
All of them apart from Dark BH...yet...

Currently running around for the Imperials as you get good stuffs =3

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
The Dark Brotherhood.
Because of that mage guy. He says funny things which are true.
Especially since I'm mainly a mage myself.
"Fireballs, you can't go wrong."

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
I like the DB but dislike many of their quests, alongside the Thieves Guild.

I just think half my targets should be in cities - not in some cave somewhere. It's not unique then, it's just another dungeon.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
M4t3us said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Iv'e only finished the mage guild quests, and am only going through the Companions quest for a certain ability. The Mage guild quests are really good, and the arch mage robes you get are amazing for a mage like me. Even though they look stupid.
They don't look stupid... and if you wear them with the Morokei Mask you while mounted on Darkmere you look like the headless horseman:

Reminds me of a Ring Wraith from Lotr...

Pretty Badass xD

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Simeon Ivanov said:
sweet talking black dude (no racism intended)
"Cause one dog ain't enough and two is to few, it's me 'Three Dog' bringin' you all the music and news your little hearts can handle."

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
Thyunda said:
One other thing - I like the way the Mage's College is a vast improvement over the Mage's Guild in Oblivion. For one, you actually have to be able to use magic. I reached the top of the Mage's Guild despite not being able cast simple spells. For the College, though, you need at least some skill, if only in Restoration. So that counts for something.
Yeah but I didn't like being named Arch-Mage for merely completely the questline. I won't complain about it too much because of the nice gear and all, but I am nowhere near the level of magical capability of the other members of the college and should not be the top mage in my opinion subsequently. But whatever, it's not big deal at the end of the day.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
I'm only on the third main story quest for the thieves guild but so far it has been MOTHERFUCKING AWESOME. I completed the companions and it was pretty sweet; I got a total thirteenth warrior vibe from those guys. College is pretty cool too. Haven't touched the DB yet but, of the three I've played, I like the Thieves Guild the best.

Addicted Muffin

Nov 6, 2010
I prefer the Thieve's Guild. In every game, they have interesting stories, and it focuses on a lesser used path. Most of my friends go in shield and sword or shooting fire balls everywhere. Seems no one plays the silent thief anymore.

Suicida1 Midget

Jun 11, 2011
At the moment i have completed the compainons and the mages collage. Only found and started the theives guild cuase of my five unsual gems.

Honestly the mages college gave out some amazing equipment. The staff of mangus drains sould gems like crazy but kills anything. Then thanks to a bug i was able to kill that dragon priest at lv 8 without anypoints in health and have a pratically unlimited supply of magic for my killer clouds of fire. (if you like magic and instakilling stuff DO THIS)

I must give points to the compainons, cause of the whole werewolf thing, you know its kinda boss.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
...Bard college?...*runs off*

Well out of all of them I like the Mage College quests the best ,why?, they made it fun for me if through I'm an imperial warrior...how the heck.

They still made it fun. :D

But I have completed all the guilds so far (Except Bards), so I am looking forward to that one.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Love the companions, but I feel that their questline was pretty short and uninspired :(

Also love me some Dark Brotherhood its a real shame though that (MASSIVE SPOILER AHEAD)

everyone but the sarcastic redguard and the 10 year old vampire die

HAvent done any College quests yet but i will start those on my next character

Mourning_Star

Egotistical Jerk
Sep 4, 2011
Dark Brotherhood hands down, they always have the best characters. Cicero is by far the most entertaining person in the entire game, and Lucien's reappearance is fun due to all of his dialogue.

Killing Astrid was the most pleasing moment of my entire existence, I hated that ***** and her husband TO DEATH.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'm at level 27 now and have yet to start any faction quests. I've joined the Thieves Guild and the Mages Guild (the latter only because I needed to join to get in and question someone for a different quest. I don't use magic at all). I'm gonna try to bring down the Dark Brotherhood if I can rather than join it. It doesn't make sense for my character to join them. The Thieves Guild doesn't really make sense either, though. But that was my favorite part of Oblivion, so I'll go through it anyway.

HeallunRumblebelly

Aug 3, 2011
I think you'll find that most people inside these guilds that don't give training are just wearing giant red shirts. Expendable to say the least. Also--You seem to become the leader in all of these groups, why wouldn't they start suspecting you if the leader mysteriously dies right before you become the leader every time?