Poll: Thinking of Leaving My GF of Three Years

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
If you're even asking the question, then that's your answer. It's never good for either party when the other is having doubts. It may be comfortable to stay and I'm sure you're a good couple, but in the end you'll both be miserable. Keep in mind though that things are never perfect in a relationship and if all your problems are that she isn't all that fond of your family and a bit possessive, keep in mind that it could be a lot worse and it's very likely that this other girl is just as bad.

I guess my answer would be do it, but be very sure of your decision and don't be disappointed if things don't work out with this new girl.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
The fact you're debating leaving her tells me you should leave, I doubt the bickering will get any better. You're young, too, live your life a little, see this other Girl (once this is over) you never know, you could get back together in a few years?
But don't stay in it for the sake of staying in it and because it' been three years, if you're not happy... go.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Holy shit, i am in exactly the same situation as you OP. But I am not so quick to frown upon children and marriage. And I've not been with her for that long.

If I was you, i'd assess which one would make you happier overall. Do never make it about the sex, or good looks. It counts for nothing a few months in. But if your girlfriend is this attached to you, it could get hella' hairy out there. I'd bring a cock cup to protect yourself. Make sure you keep you developing relationship with this 'hot girl' somewhat of a secret, and keep it casual in case your secret is discovered.

Be very careful, as your girlfriend won't make it easy. But If I were you, I'd just stay with your girlfriend. You just need to spice things up, look at her from a new angle. I guess it's because i'm a more of comfort and security kinda guy. That's just me though.

I wish you every bit of luck you can get chap, hope it all works out for you.

The Reverend

Jan 28, 2008
Sounds to me like you've already made your decision, and are looking for people to agree with you. But I wont judge, humanity is flawed.
Simplest thing to do. Choose either: Stay with her, completly ignore new girl, or break up and go spread your wild oats and such. Then find yourself a coin. Assign either choice to heads or tails. Flip said coin, and in that moment while its still in the air, you'll know what outcome you'd prefer.
And theres your answer.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I would say talk it out with your current. If she knows what you're thinking not only could she help you through it, but maybe change things so that it works better. The only way I would condone the switch is if the new one played games too.

AnonymouZero

Oct 23, 2009
dump her and get the new chick. most definitely. You won't be happy in life if you think you have mediocre choices, and awesome opportunities left to pass you BY.

GO FORTH AND MULTIPLY!

poppabaggins

May 29, 2009
If you're posting this, it's time to break up. You should probably wait a bit before getting the new chick to not seem like an ass. Also, don't be a complete douche about breaking up either.

Alexlion

May 2, 2011
Ok tbh sounds like your expecting perfection tbh and needlessly judging down your current relationship simply as an excuse to basically get off with the new girl. Relationships require work if you arnt prepared to put the work in then this new girl will end up the same as your current one or worse baring in mind you said you had lots in common with ur current gf. TBH sounds like you dont want to be in a long term relationship and she does which you need to be honest about. Break up with her for the right reasons not because your horny. A month or so waiting time before you jump into bed with the next one would also be respectful.

In short Break up with her because either you dont want to be in a long term relationship which isnt a bad thing or you lack moral courage and want to sleep around a bit which is a bad thing.
If the former discuss it with your gf, if the latter break up with her as she is better off without ya.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Chrishu said:
So, here's the deal: I'm sick of my woman.

We've been dating for three years, nonstop. We go to college together and tend to always take classes with her. She's alright-looking, and she plays games and cosplays and such rather continuously and adequately. We tend to agree on many issues of morality, life, and love, though she's a bit interested in children and marriage, which concerns me. Our sex life is, to put it bluntly, great, even though I have long ago lost interest.

Things between us are by no means BAD. But they also aren't perfect. We bicker incessantly due to our shared trait of stubbornness, and she is overly harsh and judgmental of my activities (hardcore gaming, drinking) and she pouts whenever I take alone time or leave her to see my friends. She's also very critical of my father and sister, people who are flawed but not worthy of the heaps of derision poured upon them.

We also have many portions of our lives intertwined, e.g., we both share an hourly job and our families are quite fond of each other.

There's also a fly in the ointment. I'm falling for another woman as well. This new girl is three years younger than myself. (I'm 21, if it helps) and we are both very into each other. I've kept a bit of distance between me and this new girl, but I find it harder and harder to avoid. This new woman appears to have the qualities I like that my current girlfriend lacks: intellectual curiosity, passion, and a challenging mindset. She's the excitement and challenge my relationship lacks. Also, my current gf is a 6 and the new one is easily an 8.

TLDR: Excitement and Challenge, or Comfort and Security? Help me Escapists, you're my only hope.
I was on the fence about what to tell you until this part "She's also very critical of my father and sister" to me family is one of the most important things in the world, and any girl who doesn't like my family is immediately out, so I say dump her now.

Nocola

Aug 10, 2009
I'm surprised no one has brought this up, at least in my quick scan of this thread. But maybe he should try FIXING THINGS WITH HIS CURRENT GIRLFRIEND? It's been 3 years. Clearly there's something there, you don't stay together that long on a whim. Work goes into relationships and I wouldn't want to just throw all that away because things are getting a little routine, and he may be interested in another girl. I just feel like it's such a waste to end it.

Do something new and exciting with your current girlfriend, if things are boring it's YOUR fault, make them fun again. If that fails, then yeah maybe it's time to move on but you can't just give up on a 3 year relationship, you owe it to yourself and her to TRY.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
No, stay single for a while, before trying to make a move on the new girl. If you go straight to the new girl, the ex will likely blame the relationship's fall on her rather than you.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Nocola said:
I'm surprised no one has brought this up, at least in my quick scan of this thread. But maybe he should try FIXING THINGS WITH HIS CURRENT GIRLFRIEND? It's been 3 years. Clearly there's something there, you don't stay together that long on a whim. Work goes into relationships and I wouldn't want to just throw all that away because things are getting a little routine, and he may be interested in another girl. I just feel like it's such a waste to end it.

Do something new and exciting with your current girlfriend, if things are boring it's YOUR fault, make them fun again. If that fails, then yeah maybe it's time to move on but you can't just give up on a 3 year relationship, you owe it to yourself and her to TRY.
well, yes and no. Things aren't just his fault if they're boring. They're both partner's fault.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
zane224 said:
Play Catherine
>.>
Actually thats not a bad idea.
Play it with both girls in the room.
Pick the ending that is on par with your life. See if they get the hint...

Teh Jammah

Nov 13, 2010
Honestly I think someone should forward the OP to the girlfriend (assuming she doesn't check the escapist - the OP DID mention she plays games afterall - and found it already). Posting this kind of stuff on an open forum is an epic douche move. I almost think you deserve to have her see this and dump you.

Gotta echo the 'already made up your mind', 'grass is always greener' and 'you're a moron for posting this here, talk it out with her' sentiments that have already been posted.

Based on the original post, the only other thing I can add is to question whther or not the proposed 'hot, younger model' is even interested in the OP. We get that he's interested in her, but has she even shown an interest? Does she flirt woth him? If so does she act this way with everyone, or just him? First rule about dumping your GF for someone else - make sure there actually IS a someone else.

But TLDR, as a previous poster said, man up, talk to your current GF, let her know how you feel, maybe even try taking a little bit of time apart to put your relationship in context. If it's genuinely not working then break it off, but don't be a douche about it.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
I truly believe if you're in a happy relationship, no one is going to just but in and make you want to leave it. If it's been three years, and you really feel like it isn't going anywhere (which from the sound of it, you're starting to resent your gf), then you aren't doing her any favors by staying with her. Just break it off, and do as little damage as possible.

Then go find the hot chick and make sexy rumpus.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Manji187 said:
You have a girlfriend who is only three years old? You monster! XD

Anyway, on topic: do whatever feels right to you, just know that the grass is always greener on the other side...until you actually go and inspect it. You think the "8" girl is perfect? What if you go with her and a "10" comes around? Obviously, you won't be ditching girls for all eternity.
And I thought the same thing, I was very confused till I finished the sentence.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
I'm so sorry your steady girlfriend who likes videogames, cosplays and blows you any time you feel like isn't working out for you. No, really.

Whiner.

elcher

Mar 19, 2011
Go for her - you dont have to put up with shit you dont want to hear; especially if its short sighted and judgemental, traits that are not going to dissappear any time soon.

Feeling this way about your current one and the "maybe future" one is a big "GET THE FUCK OUT" message coming straight from your subconscious.

Good luck dear sir.