Poll: Thought experiment: What if homosexuality COULD be "cured" medically?

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
To be honest...

Even though it can be misused, a lot of people probably get stressed out, depressed or even suicidal over their sexuality. Such a thing could be just the thing they need.

However there are people who are accepting of their sexuality. And I'd say let them. Despite being misused (anything can be misused) I think it wouldn't be a bad thing if it existed.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Kendarik said:
Jonluw said:
Wait, why would I support forcing someone into changing their sexuality even if it was painless?
I think the question is would you support making it an option for them.
Well, in that scenario it's
"Wait, why would I try to keep people from changing their sexuality if it affects noone but them?"

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
Jack the Potato said:
WAIT!!! Before you immediately vote "no" because "homosexuality is not a disease, you homophobe!" I just want you to think about it for a minute.

This is just a hypothetical scenario in which say, scientists have discovered homosexuality is caused by some sort of chemical brain chi something or other and they've developed a pill that could make gay people straight. First, would you support it if it were utterly painless with no real side-effects? Second, what do you think the reaction would be from the masses? The gay community? Please try and keep discussion civil.
I think the gay community would be mad. I have no idea which way the bias would swing. If it's true, then they can make up their own mind.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
Vern5 said:
If the drug was announced as being a "Cure for the gay", then yes, a lot of people would be pissed. It would be the same as offering a "Cure for the White" which sounds like medical genocide or a "Cure for the Gamer" which sounds like culture-o-cide. <- Needs revision.

Presumably this medicine simply adjusts sexual orientation. This means that it wouldn't take long for some other scientist to analyze the medicine and create a "Cure for the Straight". Depending on how readily available and expensive this drug is, I would assume that it would make for a great prank where you can turn one of your friends gay without them knowing while still being able to "reset" their sexual orientation once the joke's novelty has faded. However, the results might end up being more problematic than funny.
I don't want to live in a world with this many options. It would be so confusing!

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
If a gay wants to be straight and a medicine is available, then sure, but it shouldn't be forced upon them.
So it's their choice.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
I think theres a misunderstanding in the word 'cure'.

I mean, Im straight, and i dont want to be Gay, and im fairly certain that anyone, if given free choice would happily choose whatever orientation they want. This is where the social factor comes in - If a person is gay but is being oppressed by society (as in, opressive parents, uncaring friends, etc) then if they take this pill they are changing themselves to fit the surrounding social structure instead of the other way around.

I cant see why anyone would willingly do this?

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Matthew94 said:
Well, maybe it wouldn't but it would be a cool film to male afterwards, especially if the xmen appeared...
You my friend just made a very awkward typo for this forum... Sorry, couldn't resist.

OT, I don't know, if it's a chemical, I think the option would be good. I've heard of a lot of gays that hate being gay.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
As others have said, just because you can make yourself not gay doesn't mean that being gay is some sort of disorder.

It'd be no different than a pill that makes a shy person outgoing, or an outgoing person shy. Neither is "better" than the other.

So, yeah, let the people decide. Hopefully there'd be a pill that does the reverse, to see if anyone wanted to be gay. Or a pill that makes you bi, that'd be interesting...

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Matthew94 said:
It's would probably happen like X-Men 3 with the army running about with plastic rifles shooting all the gays.

Well, maybe it wouldn't but it would be a cool film to male afterwards, especially if the xmen appeared...
Exactly what came to mind when I read the title... Though I'm going to go with "it's their choice" up to you what you do, your life.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
It is completely optional. If someone who is gay wants to go in and get that done, knock yourself out. Even though its not a disorder, some people might just not want to live with it anymore.
However, the problem with this is that it might just cause more pressure from society on gays to be straight. I don't like the idea of people being pressured to take pills to make them "normal".

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Some people would hate it, some people would love it, others wouldn't care. I'm in the latter. It's up to the gay person themselves if they want to change their sexuality.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
"No real side effects" Except for a complete change in identity. For a lot of people being gay is a huge part of who they are, and for anyone sexuality is a very important aspect of identity.

Not to mention that it would validate everyone out there who hates gays. It's hard enough to get it legal in many countries, there's still places out there that make chemical castration and "rape therapy" the penalty for being gay. This "cure" would just be used in it's place to force gays to fit the norm.

I can see plenty of people on this side of the world who would use this cure on their own family members, against their will. Who would ever come out if they thought they'd be drugged and be completely changed by their own parents.

Also, I think the thread puts a target on homosexuals as if it needs to be cured. I'm not saying that's what you think, but I think if this is a thought experiment why not apply it to everyone? What if everyone was able to choose their sexual orientation?

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
"You take the cure, or you die!" is what 90% of the homophobes would say, I frankly don't find homosexuals in any way offensive, they're just regular people with a fetish, seriously, that's what I see homosexuality as, it's no different when a guy (Or girl) is turned on my another guy (Or girl) than when a man (or girl) is turned on by feet, or furries, or what have you. This isn't some kind of contagious plague that threatens to wipe out humanity, it's a group of people with a fetish that some people find weird, I for one find people with a Vore fetish WAY more offensive, ugh...

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Even if it was a quality I disliked ( like say I disliked being gay ) I still wouldn't agree to it. Who would grow up with a part of themselves, just to get rid of it when they become a certain age? No matter how insignificant sexual orientation really matters in someone's personality, you would never be the same person again.