Poll: Thoughts on a Fallout game set in another part of the world?

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
I personally wouldn't enjoy it that much as a fallout game, the idea of say going through post nuclear version of Tokyo or some place like that sounds awesome to me it would likely screw with lore and a bunch of things that make fallout fallout would be gone. Like the vaults since they were only in the U.S. if my memory serves me right. It would be a fun game but lack a lot of the fallout nostalgia and familiarity i enjoy.

A game without the brotherhood, vaults and likely super mutants would not feel much like fallout.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Richard A. Kiernan said:
As long as it makes reasonable sense within the confines of the current canon - that is, no European setting, and only well-populated African areas, such as South Africa, I wouldn't be opposed to it.
South Africa sounds awesome. Thinking District 9 but, post apocalyptic

M4t3us

Oct 13, 2009
North France, Calais, Coquelles including the Eurotunnel Shuttle lines, bringing Folkestone in for DLC.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
I'd actually like to see a Fallout game set to a country in western Europe, like England, France or Germany.
That would mean they'd need to rework a lot though as the setting and humour of Fallout so far only fits in US.

China, as someone mentioned, would also be really interesting.

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
Jorec said:
Maybe they could just do Fallout 4 in Canada? I mean that country seems like it's ripe for exploration. And it's relevant to the story of Fallout seeing how it was annexed by the US and there were riots and junk.
Canada? Might as well have another game set in the US. There would be no difference.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
M4t3us said:
North France, Calais, Coquelles including the Eurotunnel Shuttle lines, bringing Folkestone in for DLC.
That sounds awesome too. There are so many great ideas. I'd love a city one too, like Singapore. But canon holds back creativity. There are so many interesting and exciting places you could go but instead we're stuck with the same old places in the US.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
I don't see why we would. Fallout is about a U.S.A that never evolved past the 50's. The lore is all about America why would they set it some where else?

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I've always wanted one set in London. Instead of being suck in the 50's they're stuck in the 60's. So the music would be The Beatles and everything would have a weird Brit-pop vibe about it, 50s England was very much this:

which is like 50s America just duller, go for the 60s. Much more fun.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
The problem with it representing americana and broken american dreams is that people from other countries can't really associate with that much. I do like the vibe around it but there's been several games of it now.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
I think it could be an interesting idea. Bethesda would have to tread carefully though. If fallout 4 wasn't set in America and it wasn't a game that makes all other games look like crap in comparison, it could make a lot of new and old fans very angry.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
The_Lost_King said:
I don't see why we would. Fallout is about a U.S.A that never evolved past the 50's. The lore is all about America why would they set it some where else?
They could add to the lore showing how other countries that people did survive in were affected.

Doesn't have to have vaults, doesn't even have to has the same 50's mentality. Don't get me wrong, I love Fallout, but a game in the series now and then with a completely new setting country wise would be interesting.

AnarchistFish said:
The problem with it representing americana and broken american dreams is that people from other countries can't really associate with that much. I do like the vibe around it but there's been several games of it now.
See, now I'm not from the US so I get what you're saying, would just be interesting to see what happened to the rest of the world.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Why does everyone keep bringing up Fallout in other regions? That's pretty much the theme for it especially in the newer renditions. I think it's even on the wiki as "a futuristic view of the apocalypse viewed from the 1950's"

Honestly it being so specific to America is great because it leaves a mystery to how the rest of the world is fairing and answering that really ruins the dread and feel. I want to know what the rest of the world is like but I don't want the question answered because it just kills the mystery and ends the immersion.

As far as it could be stretched could be Alaska/Canada or Texas/Mexico but I really think the setting fits it.
I'd love to see the game take place in New York or something but maybe that's because they'd hopefully put cars back into the series.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Isn't the Fallout story and stetting and and almost everything that makes it Fallout due to it being set in the united states? So I am going to say no, because it stops being Fallout at that point. Hopefully Bethesda is smart enough not to listen to you people.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
It'd probably be for the best if they stuck with what has already been created, and built on it some more instead of going out on a limb and creating something that might not even really look even remotely like a Fallout game.

A hopelessly idealised version of Thatcher-era Britain gone post-apocalyptic might prove to be interesting, but the sheer amount of research and effort required to pull off a post-apocalyptic version of some far off location that an American developer might not be familiar with is staggering.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
mavkiel said:
However, radiation in fallout is treated more as a particle then a ray. *shrugs* At least thats how I took it since fallout 3 :p
radiation from nuclear explosions technically does produce radioactive particles i think, and actually thats how radiation tends to spread out, because the debris that gets thrown high up in the atmosphere becomes radioactive and it can travel quite far before falling back down.

OT i think the setting should at least be somewhere that has been bombed because the series is called FALLOUT

also no i don't think they should change the setting, because they did that with fallout 3 and when they moved to the other side of the country, they didn't really bother to come up with anything original. they just took all of the things from the first two games, which were supposed to be localized to the California area like the enclave, the brotherhood, fev, HAROLD! they really should have come up with a new antagonist.

Skeggers

Mar 1, 2012
I know that the lore behind Fallout is birthed from the American view of the future circa 1950, but they've often hinted throughout the series that Britain is even more fucked up than America and there was even a pseudo spin off set around Britain if I remember correctly, so I've always thought that was a viable option, although it would be a pretty big change in atmosphere. It would be like the shift from Bioshock 1 & 2 to Bioshock Infinity, for lack of a better comparison.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
i liked the idea someone mentioned of 60s britain fallout.
also, i dislike the idea of it being in a city, it would end up like downtown DC in fallout 3, too linear.

also this: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/huh-a-new-game-from-russia-looks-like-fallout-but-russian/548066/

i found it a while ago, but the title was written in english and i can't remeber what it was, but it's basically meant to be like fallout in russia.

Driekan

Sep 6, 2012
The concept that Fallout could not work elsewhere because the concept of the game is pretty strongly steeped in americana and 1950s style retro-futurism doesn't hold much water, I think...

There is no reason why these cultural constructs would not have spread elsewhere. That's what globalization does. Ask any adult in Italy today, and they'll gladly tell you they grew up watching Dallas. Ask any young adult in Brazil, and they'll tell you they grew up watching Thunder Cats.

It would have to be a spin-off, though. A direct sequel to the series which shifts that far away from all the familiar conflicts would just not work.

All in all, though, it holds a lot of potential to be very interesting.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Perfect setting: Laos

It already has a history of fields with unexploded bombs that suits the addition of nukes to said equation, maybe even a kind of mystical/luck facet that saw the landscape survive more than the neighboring countries.

It also has a sortid history with China + communists, and we all know how those two factors are set within the franchise.

Plus lots of temples, interesting rivers and mountain ranges, and ancient anomalies like the 'field of jars' that could lead to interesting random events and backdrops.

~I recently saw an ep of Anthony Bourdain where he went there, so this is why I bring it up. Seems fitting for an Asian locale in the FO universe.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Snotnarok said:
Why does everyone keep bringing up Fallout in other regions? That's pretty much the theme for it especially in the newer renditions. I think it's even on the wiki as "a futuristic view of the apocalypse viewed from the 1950's"

Honestly it being so specific to America is great because it leaves a mystery to how the rest of the world is fairing and answering that really ruins the dread and feel. I want to know what the rest of the world is like but I don't want the question answered because it just kills the mystery and ends the immersion.

As far as it could be stretched could be Alaska/Canada or Texas/Mexico but I really think the setting fits it.
I'd love to see the game take place in New York or something but maybe that's because they'd hopefully put cars back into the series.
Cars in New York?
Nobody has a car here, there's too much traffic because of people from Jersey, upstate, and Long Island.