Poll: Thoughts on Death Metal.....

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Nah I'm a Classic rock fan. Death metal in my opinion disgraces the lineage of metal. But thats just me ;)

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
starfox444 said:
I got bored of it because it lacks any feeling. When I listened to it, I felt nothing. I enjoyed it, but it was empty enjoyment.
Yeah thats how I feel.

shotgunjoe

Apr 7, 2010
I'm not a huge classification fan, but most of you couldn't be more wrong about death metal. Opeth are not death metal. Children of Bodom are not death metal. Also, the people who only like death metal with "awesome guitar solos" can get to fuck. Guitar solos are for egotistical cunts. Death metal is all about the riffs. I like technical music a lot, but I don't like it for it's technicality, rather the songcraft. Sure, the technical skill of musicians can be admired, but technicality does not necessarily make for an interesting listen. If all you're interested in is technical skill, then go listen to Steve Vai or some gay shit like that.

I should say, I fucking love death metal (but then again, I love pretty much all music apart from country, classic rock and Scooter). Good death metal bands to check out would be Insect Warfare, Captain Cleanoff, FUBAR, Mumakil (Behold the Failure is one of the most brutal albums I have ever heard) and Nasum (although they may be considered grind by some).

shotgunjoe

Apr 7, 2010
ethaninja said:
Nah I'm a Classic rock fan. Death metal in my opinion disgraces the lineage of metal. But thats just me ;)
And I suppose that AC/DC should be heralded as musical geniuses?

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
I'm a metaller and I can't stand listening to Death Metal (Thrash is the most extreme I go). Undecipherable screaming and growling just doesn't do anything for me, I got to be able to hear the lyrics.

However, I do have a grudging respect for Death Metal. Technically, it's flawless. Generally speaking, those bands really know how to play their instruments properly. In fact, my favourite band (Porcupine Tree) take a lot of their instrumental inspirations from Extreme Metal in their later albums, claiming it to be where "all the musical genius has gone".

shotgunjoe

Apr 7, 2010
Steampunk Viking said:
I'm a metaller and I can't stand listening to Death Metal (Thrash is the most extreme I go). Undecipherable screaming and growling just doesn't do anything for me, I got to be able to hear the lyrics.

However, I do have a grudging respect for Death Metal. Technically, it's flawless. Generally speaking, those bands really know how to play their instruments properly. In fact, my favourite band (Porcupine Tree) take a lot of their instrumental inspirations from Extreme Metal in their later albums, claiming it to be where "all the musical genius has gone".
Why do you need to be able to hear the lyrics? Lyrics are probably the least important part of the music. More people need to think of vocals as just another instrument like a guitar or drums or whatever. I can listen to instrumental music or music where the lyrics are indecipherable if it's kept interesting musically, but I can't listen to Bob Dylan. His lyrics are brilliant at times, but his music is bland as shit. So many people care about lyrics, but the fact is that if you're looking to musicians for answers to your problems, in the words of Daron Malakian, you're going to end up with more problems than you started with.

Also, Porcupine Tree are one of the most egotistical bands out there at the moment, and that's one thing that needs to be removed from music as well. 20 minute songs that are mainly solos? Fuck that.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Novskij said:
Arkhangelsk said:
Not so much death metal like Cannibal Corpse and such. But I love, love, LOVE melodic death metal!

Only band that even gets close to being Melodeath in there is In Flames...
You do know that DT is basically In Flames's darker twin?

WickedBoy6

Jan 13, 2010
I enjoy some death metal, but honestly, this fracturing of genres has to go. I mean, Death Metal is one thing, but it seems that every other band or fans of said band have to fracture one genres into several sub-genres, just to sound "unique" and describe their music. Melo-death, tech-death, goregrind, deathgrind, deathcore, blackened death, deathdoom. Can't we call a spade a spade and let it just be "death metal"?

Also, great death metal band below. Think "CKY-meets-Suffocation".

Feb 19, 2010
more of a power metal guy.

i hate death metal though. its just some guys saying GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRR

for 8 hours

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Novskij said:
Arkhangelsk said:
Novskij said:
Arkhangelsk said:
Not so much death metal like Cannibal Corpse and such. But I love, love, LOVE melodic death metal!

But King Crimson can be darker than both these bands, doesnt make them Death Metal, so your point is?
Less emphasis on "dark", more emphasis on "twin". Compare older DT albums with older In Flames albums and tell me that they don't sound similar.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
ReincarnatedFTP said:
I love it.
Admittedly, most death metal I listen to is melo-death. I'll listen to plain death if I get to hear awesome guitar solos though.
Will you marry me?
Seriously though, I love melodeath over every other music genre there is.

Alexadecimal

Nov 12, 2008
Thats a big pass on the Death Metal and in fact pretty much all forms of metal. When me and my class mates were getting into music a good portion of the year ended up in the metal camp as a good portion of every year does and I found myself enjoying 90's indie music Stone Roses, Happy Mondays etc, and more classic stuff like the Beatles and Pink Floyd. (Yes I'm British).

As for my thoughts on it; just too agressive and garbled for me and most sounds the same, although I'm sure if ur not into most genres of music u could say that about any of them like trance or something.

My questions is, why is it always gamers and metal? The ammount of times I'd be playing an online game waiting around for a group or something and I pull out the classic "what music u guys into?" with my guild or group a huge majority goes for metal or a variation on metal, always used to leave me wondering why.

dbmountain

Feb 24, 2010
Technical death metal is the only "offshoot", I suppose, of death metal that I really enjoy listening to. Everything else gets extremely monotonous I find

Some examples:
Atheist, kinda have a jazzy feel to them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyBGXEoe2ks

Lethargy, most talented instrumentalists I've heard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E46T0Np2nGA

Human Remains, pretty experimental and very interesting sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDScRovM4c

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Novskij said:
Arkhangelsk said:
Novskij said:
Arkhangelsk said:
Novskij said:
Arkhangelsk said:

But King Crimson can be darker than both these bands, doesnt make them Death Metal, so your point is?
Less emphasis on "dark", more emphasis on "twin". Compare older DT albums with older In Flames albums and tell me that they don't sound similar.
Well ye, but in the link its the new album, which is alternative metal. And the jester race from inflames has a great deal of Folk melodies.
I like the folk melodies. A thing I noticed about The Gallery is that it had some influences from Spanish music.