Poll: Tony Abbott thinks you should wait till marriage to have sex, ladies!

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
I don't understand the whole 'no sex before marriage' thing, because, married couples DON'T have sex.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
The quote has a nice romantic touch to it. But waiting before marriage is an outdated train of thoughts

atalanta

Dec 27, 2009
Radelaide said:
Yay! More backwards Aussie politics.

Opposition leader Tony Abbott has come out (trying to win votes among the female population) and told women that they should wait till marriage to have sex. The debate isn't old but what I think has made all the waves about the topic is that Abbott, who is a out-spoken Christian (aren't they all?), is said to have fathered a child to a former girlfriend, which makes him a bit of a hypocrite.
Why am I not surprised? (Also, he's trying to win votes? Because, uh.)

Tony Abbott said:
"I would say to my daughters, if they were to ask me this question, I would say ... it is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly that is what I would say."
Your virginity is not a present. Your ladybits are not a present. What the hell.

People have always been having sex in their teens, it's just mostly they got married young and died young. This no sex until you're 18 thing is mostly a recent Western phenomenon, and even in the 40s and 50s teenagers were having sex, it was just not talked about and the consequences for women were astronomical (the consequences for men were... not.)

The way virginity is sanctified makes me feel ill. It's wildly sexist and icky -- women are the ones who are pressured to be pure and virginal, and when they aren't it's taken as an indicator of her inherent lack of quality. Even the words used -- "losing" your virginity, ick, like you're making this huge sacrifice or taking a chunk out of yourself.

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
Radelaide said:
On a side note, Abbott's views on contraception are very similar to his opinions on this. Being Christian, he's against it. Does that also affect your view on Abbott's call to women?
Most christians don't take this view on contraception, but most would espouse abstinence.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
No sex until marriage is a terrible idea. Sex is a very important part of a healthy relationship. You might have the best relationship with someone ever, then get married only to find out you simply aren't sexually compatible leading to a stressful marriage. It's a much better idea to engadge in intercourse with your potential life partner sooner rather then later to make sure that you are sexually compatible. Plus it's just, well, swell.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Tony Abbott said:
"I would say to my daughters, if they were to ask me this question, I would say ... it is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly that is what I would say."

Well, looking at what he is saying from this quote alone, he seems to just be saying that sex is important, so dont treat it lightly. It does not have to imply that he is advocating sex before marrage, that seems to be an assumption (albeit, a reasonable one) from his apparant Christian views.

Anyway, on the topic of sex before marrage- its a personal choice, its your body, you own it, you decide what you want to do with it.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
I never got the whole virginity is sacred thing. Sex is fun! If you take care of yourself, why the hell not have fun with someone you love (or otherwise, depending on how liberal you are)

Whoever this guy is, his views are extremely outdated.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Wait, is he just saying that honourable ladies should keep their virginity till marriage but young men an go around having sex with whoever they like?

That's more than misogyny, that's hypocrisy.

On the other hand it does appear that he is just being a protective father which is to be expected if he only has little girls, how else do you expect a father to act? I'm not sure if he really feels the same about ALL young women in Australia.

Bottom line: wear a condom and it is not problem AT ALL.

McHanhan

Sep 13, 2009
Skarin said:
Somehow I read the title and knew that this was from Australia. Glad to see OP didn't disappoint.

OT: Countries don't need their governments to tell the people how to use their own bodies. That's where judgement and common sense comes in.

*sings "Advance Australia Fair" as he leaves the thread*
I hate saying this, so I'll elaborate. This man speaks all kinds of truth, today is no different.

This

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
CroMagnon said:
Nmil-ek said:
Awsome way to gather voters bravo, "Hey lets alienate an entire generation of younger women to pander to a bunch of old christian conservatives who are still living in the 1970s!"
You mean the time drug experimentation and free love was the new wave? oh, you mean the 1870s
Mainstreamed!

I think he meant the 50's.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
My family has a very strong hatred of Tony Abbott, like even more than Howard back when he was still ruling the country with an Iron Fist. I personally think that imposing such values, especially in a religious context something of which society does not as a whole follow any more, is kind of pointless.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
I'd say give the person you loose it to some thought and you might get lucky and only have to do it with one person but do not be dictated to by religion.
Stupid.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Speaking as a Christian Australian... I don't give two shits about what women do or don't want to do in their own (or others) bedrooms. Its their choice and there's to make.

But in his defence, he is saying that's the advise he'd give his daughters, not the country, and if I'll be honest if I have daughters I reckon I'll be giving them the same advice (as well as waving a shotgun or machette in the face of any bloke who even looked at them funny). Whether they heed my advice is another matter altogether.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Radelaide said:
But, does Abbott have a point?
It's funny, Tony Abbott actually has a brother (Tim, I think) who is in the Christian heirachy but doesn't share the same conservative views and is actually a bit of a champ. Don't paint all Christians with the same brush - some of them actually have really sensible, realistic views about these issues. Tony just isn't one of them.

No-one in Australia really listens to Tony Abbott though so it's not much of a concern. Even when his party was in power no-one paid much attention, and now that he holds no power at all, meh, who cares what he says, he could tell us all to wear pink pajamas if he wants. Michael Atkinson, on the other hand...

Virginity isn't sacred, it's more just boring than anything else. As soon as I hit puberty I couldn't wait to lose it. I of course did have to wait anyway, but I haven't been a virgin for nearly 15 years and I'm not married yet, and I don't feel any "less sacred" because of that.

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
Radelaide said:
But, does Abbott have a point? Is virginity sacred? Especially in today's world where women are much more promiscuous then say, women my age (18-25 age bracket) 20 years ago or so?
promiscurity hasnt changed at all through through time its just people are more honest and open about it.

D.L.390

Jan 16, 2010
Ferk Abbott. He's as bad as Krudd in my opinion, if not worse due to the fact that he cannot let people run their own lives.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
stinkychops said:
David Bray said:
I'd say give the person you loose it to some thought and you might get lucky and only have to do it with one person but do not be dictated to by religion.
Stupid.
Sorry mate, this drives me crazy. While that might have been a pun, calling someone 'loose', it is in fact 'lose'. It was probably a typo and this isn't directed at you as much as the entire internet.
*Clap*

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
Sev said:
The quote has a nice romantic touch to it. But waiting before marriage is an outdated train of thoughts
Wrong.

The debate isn't old but what I think has made all the waves about the topic is that Abbott, who is a out-spoken Christian (aren't they all?), is said to have fathered a child to a former girlfriend, which makes him a bit of a hypocrite.
I don't see how it makes him a hypocrite.

Think about it: if he knows now that having premarital sex is bad, then he's not a hypocrite for saying it's bad, regardless of whether he once did it when he was younger.

That being said, he probably shouldn't be ordering people what to do with their bodies. When it comes to virginity, to each his/her own.