Poll: Too Much Of A Good Thing?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Background:
I tried re-watching the original Star Wars trilogy today and I couldn't do it.
It just felt, boring, for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, I love the damn movies, but I think I've seen them WAY too many times.

There's nothing 'new' in them for me, and thus this time they felt more like a chore than anything else.
Question:
Does this happen to anyone else?

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Things I like tend to get desensitised to me really easily. It's becoming a problem.

Realising that my childhood was a shitty house built on a foundation of boring movies, that is.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I know what you mean. After a while it gets hard to enjoy stuff the way you used to. I don't enjoy my favorite novels as much after the fourth time.

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
You're getting older. it happens to everyone. You become desensitized to everything with enough time. You enjoyed the movies/universe a lot when you were younger because they were new.

They aren't new to you anymore.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Too much of any one thing is bound to do this to you eventually. If you balanced the amount of Star Wars you watched with other sci-fi films and media, it may not have happened as much. Take songs for example. If you listen to a song 100 times in a row, you'll get sick of it. If you listen to it 100 times over the course of a year or so, in between many other songs, then it might very well retain its value.

Though perhaps films work differently than music. I'm not into movies myself, so if subtle differences do exist I perhaps wouldn't recognise them. I imagine the core point remains the same, however.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Watching the same stuff over and over makes them get stale. To me, a mark of a good film or book is one that resists getting stale for a while.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I don't get that, but I don't tend to watch any one thing too often. Maybe that helps keep things fresh. I don't think I've seen the Holy Trilogy in a couple of years.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
All the time. I dislike watching movies more than once and i only replay games that i really liked or the ones that have multiple paths to take or different classes. I didn't have that problem when i was a kid, i could play the same repetitive game over and over again with my buddies and i even lost count how many times i've seen some of the older movies that they kept rerunning on TV, now i don't even watch TV because all it shows is several year old stuff at best that i had already seen.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Actually I just watched them for the first time in 3-4 years and remembered how much I loved them.

I do get bored with shows on Netflix. Eight freaking seasons of Dexter? Pfeh. Had to take a break. Ditto for Trek and anything with more than ~35 episodes. The only show with more than two seasons I've ever devoured straight through beginning to end is Breaking Bad.

Happens with games all the time. I can stare at my Steam library and just sigh, unwilling to make a decision. I always have half a dozen games in progress because I get tired of titles that take more than 8 hours to finish. Have to rotate my use.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
All the time.

My friend keeps on telling me to watch the Bleech anime, and I would be more than happy to do so, at least if it wasn't 366 episodes and 4 movies long. At that point, it is no longer a TV show, it is a goddamn commitment. I'm sure that it is a great series, but I can guarantee you that a fair amount of those episodes are useless plots, filler episodes and at least one beach episode. If someone could say to me: "Hey, if you watched episodes X, Y and Z, that is pretty much all of the important stuff and you wont miss out on anything" then I might consider it, but 366 episodes and 4 movies*? Fuck. That. Noise.

Same goes for games. You can have the best combat system at the time, or a huge open world with a lot to explore, but after a while, I will just get bored. Enter: Batman Arkham ________. I love the Arkham series, but my god does it get boring after a while. When you first start playing the game, it seems like it is the best and most fluid combat system that I have ever played with, but after you punch the 3000th goon in the face, you soon realise that the combat never changes one bit, but only gets easier. Same goes for WoW. I love my level 100 Hunter, but I wouldn't be lying if I said that even at level 100, I use about 6 abilities in combat consistently. Six. I can tell you right now that it is getting only slightly boring.

[small]* 4 movies run time = 380 minutes. 366 episodes that I am assuming are around (on average) 22 minutes long each = 8052 minutes. 8052+380. You would be looking at around 140 hours. That is more time than I spent playing the entirety of Dragon Age: Origins (+DLC) and Dragon Age 2 (+DLC) combined.[/small]

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Laggyteabag said:
All the time.

My friend keeps on telling me to watch the Bleech anime, and I would be more than happy to do so, at least if it wasn't 366 episodes and 4 movies long. At that point, it is no longer a TV show, it is a goddamn commitment. I'm sure that it is a great series, but I can guarantee you that a fair amount of those episodes are useless plots, filler episodes and at least one beach episode. If someone could say to me: "Hey, if you watched episodes X, Y and Z, that is pretty much all of the important stuff and you wont miss out on anything" then I might consider it, but 366 episodes and 4 movies*? Fuck. That. Noise.
"How to watch Bleach without fillers" (Check your inbox)

The series is pretty good without the fillers, especially the first 50 episodes or so (most people agree it is the best arc). This cuts it down to about 203 episodes which is 203 x 22 = 4466 minutes - around 75 hours.

Still a commitment, but you can stop if you don't like it for whatever reason. You can skip the movies too - they're filler (although I enjoyed the first couple when I watched them way back when).

OT: Happens to me a lot too. I used to be able to replay the same games over and over again. Now I can only do it if I really enjoyed it the first time around or if there are multiple ways to go about it. Same with movies - although it has been that way for longer. I can't watch the same thing too often or I won't care for it anymore.

Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, but the good news is that the feeling of over-saturation disappears with time. As a teenager I could have recited the Belgariad pretty much from memory (an exaggeration, but not by much - I had read the series twice a year for about seven or eight years), yet when I moved house recently and uncovered my old books in a box in the loft I re-read books I hadn't even thought about for fifteen years and couldn't believe how much of the story I'd forgotten. It was the oddest feeling of both familiarity and 'new-ness' at the same time.

Long story short: Leave 'em alone for a decade or so, then try again. The old magic'll come back, believe me.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
That happens extremely easily with me actually, up to the point that watching/reading/playing something even twice is already too much for me.

There is the odd exception where I experienced something maybe three times, but that's it really. I constantly crave and look for new experiences, gets a little problematic sometimes too. Ones datacap can only take so much, and at one point you slowly start running out of stuff even when your interests and taste are pretty broad.

The only systematic exception, come to think of it, is music. I can absolutely spam an album if I really love it. I got OVERWERK's The Nth Degree and After Hours albums on steady repeat for the last week. But other than that; new experiences please, thank you.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Auron225 said:
Laggyteabag said:
All the time.

"How to watch Bleach without fillers" (Check your inbox)

The series is pretty good without the fillers, especially the first 50 episodes or so (most people agree it is the best arc). This cuts it down to about 203 episodes which is 203 x 22 = 4466 minutes - around 75 hours.

Still a commitment, but you can stop if you don't like it for whatever reason. You can skip the movies too - they're filler (although I enjoyed the first couple when I watched them way back when).

OT: Happens to me a lot too. I used to be able to replay the same games over and over again. Now I can only do it if I really enjoyed it the first time around or if there are multiple ways to go about it. Same with movies - although it has been that way for longer. I can't watch the same thing too often or I won't care for it anymore.

could I get the an anti filler inbox as well

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
It happened with Pulp Fiction a few years ago to me.
There was also Basic that I watched a few times too many a few years ago.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
I do not think i could listen to any song/movie more than 25 times
I have too good a memory, though in combination with not being good with names, this is annyoing