Poll: Top 5 games of all time, no mean comments

Dutchy115

Nov 7, 2011
What are your top 5 games? I know this has been done before, but I'm one for copying other people's work so screw you SOPA.
If someone dares to put a CoD or Battlefield game in their top 5, they'll of course be misinformed, but let's not abuse them because of their poor life decisions, ok?

Also, try not to include "Collections", like Metroid Prime Trilogy or God of War HD Collection
And for games like Pokemon, write: Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire or Red/Blue, because they're effectively the same

EDIT: In the poll, my list goes from top to bottom (Jak 3 is No. 1, Emerald is No. 5)

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
TheKasp said:
I see a certain lack of Psychonauts! I'm sure you jest!
That was the first thing I thought. Also I'm going to pre-emptively say Psychonauts 2.

OT: So apart from Psychonauts, I'm still not agreeing with any choices you've made. Not because they're not good games, but because they're not the best.

So in no particular order; Psychonauts, Timesplitters 2, Pokemon Red/Blue (because nostalgia, that's why! Okay maybe Gold/Silver, they were pretty awesome too), Unreal Tournament and Spyro the Dragon.

At least they're the ones I can think of right now.

Joeaverage86

Dec 25, 2011
Mass Effect was a great game but I personally thought the second one was much better. And let's face it, you can't lose with Pokemon.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, your list seems pretty good.
As for mine? That's difficult. Persona 4 and Dark Souls are certainly up there. Maybe Dragon Age, maybe even Vanquish for lack of thinking of anything else.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Hmm.. my top 5 games? Tough, tough. But since I am pretty limited in my interest in video games, it is slightly easier for me than it would be for most people I assume. Let me try to put them in a list here, however.

1. Gothic II: Night of the Raven. - Utterly my favourite game, full stop.

From that point onwards, it is too difficult to actually put into an accurate order, so I'll just name the other four games.

Mount & Blade: Warband. - The single greatest melee combat I've ever played in any game, ever, and the only game I've played where I can actually enjoy the multiplayer. The powerful war atmosphere is excellent too. Put in well over 400 hours into this game. For single player, I use the Floris Expanded Mod Pack 2.4 mod.

Rome: Total War. - Not so much the vanilla game, but when it has the Europa Barbarorum total overhaul mod, it is simply amazing. It is turned into a complete wealth of historical information, the campaign has a lot more depth and the battles are more fun due to a much larger variety of troop types.

I really can't tell you the fourth and fifth games honestly, so instead I'll just mention a small list of those who would qualify. In no order:

Gothic 1, Risen, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Two Worlds, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver II, Stronghold and Stronghold: Crusader.

I've also started playing Baldur's Gate (for the first time, yeah I'm slow, I know) and Two Worlds II and imagine they'll be added to that list after I've spent enough time on them. So in short, it's difficult to choose just 5 xD.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Dutchy115 said:
Pretty good list... though I question the presence of Pokemon... s'probably a good game (never played it) but I have an irrational dislike for Pokemon so it's that talking... sorry... rambling... (though I will say that CoD was once a decent franchise...)

Anyway, my list:

KotOR (fav RPG of all time, perfect balance of the various aspects IMO)
RTW (with mods, preferably, RTR being the one I've played/enjoyed most)
ACII (best of the AC series...)
DeusEx
Sniper Elite (though depending on how the SE2 game is I may change this... but probably not)

Dutchy115

Nov 7, 2011
A lot of very obscure games are coming up, refreshing, I was expecting a spam-fest of Nintendo titles, but I suppose the majority of the Hardcore Nintendo fanboys have been shamed off the internet by now

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
1. Persona 4-It is the complete package: good art direction, music, combat system, characters, etc.
2. Legend of Dragoon-It is the game that got me into RPGs in the first place.
3. Pokemon G/S/C-This game was crack when I was a kid. It also is the game that I've put the most time into.
4. Oblivion-This game was crack when I was in high school.
5. Odin Sphere-It is gorgeous, is a throwback to old beat-em ups, and has a great soundtrack.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Of yours, I've only played Assassin's Creed II and Mass Effect. I have the first Wii Metroid game... but I didn't care for it after an hour or so. I'm currently considering purchasing the Jak and Daxter HD collection and experiencing those for the first time... apparently they hold up pretty well.

My list:
1. Deus Ex
2. Morrowind
3. Silent Hill 2
4. Rainbow Six: Raven Shield

Then it gets tricky. Depending on when you ask me I might say Rome: Total War, Demon's/Dark Souls, Freespace (I only finished it today and fudge it's good), Fallout 1 or 2, Homeworld, Baldur's Gate, Thief 2, one of the STALKER games, Hitman: Blood Money, or Valkyria Chronicles.

In the near future I'm going to play through Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, X-Com: UFO Defense, and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for the first time. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those jumps into the top 5.

Dutchy115

Nov 7, 2011
Zantos said:
TheKasp said:
I see a certain lack of Psychonauts! I'm sure you jest!
That was the first thing I thought. Also I'm going to pre-emptively say Psychonauts 2.

OT: So apart from Psychonauts, I'm still not agreeing with any choices you've made. Not because they're not good games, but because they're not the best.

So in no particular order; Psychonauts, Timesplitters 2, Pokemon Red/Blue (because nostalgia, that's why! Okay maybe Gold/Silver, they were pretty awesome too), Unreal Tournament and Spyro the Dragon.

At least they're the ones I can think of right now.
I'm surprised Psychonauts came up so quickly, I thought it was more obscure than that...

A major life goal of mine is to play every game in Yahtzee's top five, but I don't want to bother if they're PC exclusives, I rarely purchase games unless they're compatible with my XBox 360 or my DS, that's what's put me off Minecraft, I'm planning on getting it when its released on XBox marketplace tho. Of course, Yahtzee loved Psychonauts as for as I can tell, which casts a very favourable light on it, especially when I utilise the Croshaw law to properly scale them.

Games that Yahtzee thinks are:
Crap - tend to be average (CoD, Battlefield, Halo)
Average - tend to be good (Oblivion, Skyrim)
Good - tend to be the Earthly Reincarnation of Christ (Portal)

I did love me some Pokemon Gold when I got my hands on a copy back in 07, but Emerald was my first Pokemon game, and if we're all honest with ourselves, it had the best written story of all of them (and the coolest legendaries, hands down)

Dutchy115

Nov 7, 2011
Joeaverage86 said:
Mass Effect was a great game but I personally thought the second one was much better. And let's face it, you can't lose with Pokemon.
I'm about midway through the second one now, and as far as gameplay and character development is concerned, I can't help but agree with you (Thane is a freaking badass). But originality and plot always trump gameplay in my opinion, and Mass Effect's story was like sipping chocolate milk from the supple breasts of a teenage Latino. I encountered a similar problem deciding between Jak II and 3, i liked II's gameplay better, but the plot of 3 was much better (I suppose because it pulled the imminent-destruction-of-the-world card), so I went with the latter.

But in the case of Assassin's Creed, the second one was an enhancement in every way imaginable, that's like deciding between a Pikachu and a Bidoof, that is, which one you'd like to drug, sedate, kidnap and Human Centipede

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
- Doom II
- Fear Effect
- Minecraft
- Fallen Earth
- Portal

I almost dropped Portal out of the Top 5 as it's a fantastic game... that I have no intention of revisiting. I'm undecided as to what would replace it at 5 so I guess it stays, for now.

Dutchy115

Nov 7, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
BathorysGraveland said:
Hmm.. my top 5 games? Tough, tough. But since I am pretty limited in my interest in video games, it is slightly easier for me than it would be for most people I assume. Let me try to put them in a list here, however.

1. Gothic II: Night of the Raven. - Utterly my favourite game, full stop.

From that point onwards, it is too difficult to actually put into an accurate order, so I'll just name the other four games.

Mount & Blade: Warband. - The single greatest melee combat I've ever played in any game, ever, and the only game I've played where I can actually enjoy the multiplayer. The powerful war atmosphere is excellent too. Put in well over 400 hours into this game. For single player, I use the Floris Expanded Mod Pack 2.4 mod.

Rome: Total War. - Not so much the vanilla game, but when it has the Europa Barbarorum total overhaul mod, it is simply amazing. It is turned into a complete wealth of historical information, the campaign has a lot more depth and the battles are more fun due to a much larger variety of troop types.

I really can't tell you the fourth and fifth games honestly, so instead I'll just mention a small list of those who would qualify. In no order:

Gothic 1, Risen, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Two Worlds, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver II, Stronghold and Stronghold: Crusader.

I've also started playing Baldur's Gate (for the first time, yeah I'm slow, I know) and Two Worlds II and imagine they'll be added to that list after I've spent enough time on them. So in short, it's difficult to choose just 5 xD.
Jürgen?

Sorry, I have this friend who will not stop kissing Gothics ass. Every time I talk to him, be it on Skype or in the real, hes trying to get me to play Gothic again. Its annoying as fuck.

OT: I cannot fathom why anyone would put AC2 in their top 5 list. Sure, its decent, but eh... Guess its just a personal list anyway.
Given that I have it sitting regally at No. 2, I feel I should defend ACII's honour. Free-roaming, mission based, action/adventure, sandbox platformer. Having had a passionate love affair with Jak II and 3 (and Jak and Daxter to a lesser extent), a game with such a similar core formula was like eating a delicious slice of Chocolate...you know what, this analogy suggests i'm fat, let's try something else:

Like sampling a pair of blonde Swedish 19 year old twins, then being promised they're younger 18 year old German cousin after they cheat on me with an old wart-invested 60 year old hag (Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier). Not as experienced as the twins, nor as pretty, but from the same gene-pool so exquisite nonetheless

I may have lost my train of though somewhat in that drawn out Simile, but I trust you got the gist of what I was saying

On a more sensible, relatable note, the Gameplay was ace, the story was well written if not quite John Steinbeck, and every character except Future-Desmond brilliantly characterised. I guess the fact that you could romp around Late 15th century Venice helped its case a fair bit, but what really sold it for me was the special assassinations, playing the original, I was constantly thinking, "You know what would make this game ace?" Apart from shedding off several layers of dried antichrist cement "Being able to assassinate from hiding spots, or on ledges, or from the air" Assassin's Creed II delivered on that and so much more, which makes it a sure-fire winner in my book

Dutchy115

Nov 7, 2011
LookingGlass said:
Of yours, I've only played Assassin's Creed II and Mass Effect. I have the first Wii Metroid game... but I didn't care for it after an hour or so. I'm currently considering purchasing the Jak and Daxter HD collection and experiencing those for the first time... apparently they hold up pretty well.

My list:
1. Deus Ex
2. Morrowind
3. Silent Hill 2
4. Rainbow Six: Raven Shield

Then it gets tricky. Depending on when you ask me I might say Rome: Total War, Demon's/Dark Souls, Freespace (I only finished it today and fudge it's good), Fallout 1 or 2, Homeworld, Baldur's Gate, Thief 2, one of the STALKER games, Hitman: Blood Money, or Valkyria Chronicles.

In the near future I'm going to play through Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, X-Com: UFO Defense, and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for the first time. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those jumps into the top 5.
Yes, you should definitely get J+D HD Collection, all three (like Indiana Jones, let's officially deny the fourth entry exists) were brilliant examples of everything games should be: Fun, charming, hilarious and well-written

Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime: Echoes were both brilliant, but I understand you're lack of care for Corruption (MP3), I couldn't play past the first few hours either

As for your list, as seems to be a theme in this thread, I've heard of these games, but never played them, and here I was thinking I was a well-travelled gamer, think again you ginger fool

Reggie Rock

Jan 12, 2012
Before you ask, i did NOT like psychonauts.

1. Abe's oddysee
This fucking game. Everything about it is godly. This is a platforming/puzzle gem and if you haven't played, you've never experienced true bliss.

2. Dead Rising (1)
Hands-down, THE zombie game. It was a true zombie game with a combat system that gave you a feeling of helplessness. Until you got themega buster that is.

3.Dragon Age: Origins
A bioware RPG is usually good. But Dragon Age took it to a whole new level. The story, the characters, the conversations. I felt like the character instead of the player.

4.Metal gear solid 3: Snake Eater
Dat Theme music. Dat fucking Theme music. I had some of my most memorable experiences in this game.

5.Kirby Fun Pak
Jesus Christ there was so much shit to do in this game, along with classic fun kirby gameplay it was awesome. Kirby games were never challenging, but alway fun.

A list of best games doesnt contain games with the best gameplay,graphics,story or anything. It contains games that you had the best EXPERIENCES with. A game is a product. A good game is an experience.

Mafoobula

Sep 30, 2009
I reject every option. They're all good... never played Jack or the first Mass Effect, but the rest are all great. Also, as sexy as you may or may not be, I'm afraid this soldier salutes one person, and it ain't you.