Poll: Top 5 games of all time, no mean comments

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Jak 2 is far better than Jak 3 and Mass Effect 2 is far better than Mass Effect.

5)Portal
I don't think any "best game ever" list is complete with out Portal. It is a perfectly executed masterpiece from start to finish. The gameplay, the writing, and the atmosphere flow together seamlessly. Portal is a beautiful constructed prince of games.

4)Rock Band 2
There hasn't been a game that I've sunk more time into or that's effected my life more. (I play drums in a real band because of Rock Band) and I just feel that Rock Band 2 is the peak of the series. 3 was fine but the pro instruments seemed a little like pandering. Also 2's on disk set-list was the best.

3)Record of Agarest War
This is the best Writing and Voice acting I've ever heard in a game. (albeit Japanese) The dialog is overwrought and campy like something Shakespeare would write if he was on mushrooms, but the actors delievery of the lines never lets the drama or intensity feel out of place while at the same time balancing the humor that's evenly delivered through out the story. And the turn based combat is pretty fun to. It's like chess meets Final Fantasy Tactics.

2)Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
If there are two things I love they're good writing and good acting. And this game has both of those in spades...But if there are two more things I love they're parkour and time control So that's 4 of my favorite things in the world all wrapped up in one elegant package.

1)Jak 2
So, so far in my top 5 list I've described one game as perfect, one as having a tangible positive effect on my life, one as the best example of my tow favorite things, and one as an elegant mix of my 4 favorite things, and yet Jak 2 is just better than those games. It's just a mix of everything, the great gameplay mechanics, the difficulty curve, the writing, but most of all I think it's the cutscenes. I love cutscenes, and I'm afraid that they're slowly but surely phasing out of gaming entirely in favor of in gameplay set-pieces. And a set-piece will never be as good a storytelling device than a cutscene. The cutscenes in Jak 2 brilliant. Short, snappy, funny, poignant, well directed, they kept a consistent tone, served as a wrap up for the previous mission and led you seamlessly into the next mission. I also really like Jak as a character, he joked, he smiled, he knew when to be stoic, he showed anger appropriately, he could hold his ground, he was awkward at times. He had emotional range. Which is just something that's lost in games now days. Did Naughty Dog dump their talented writing staff when they started making the Uncharted games?

Honorable mentions:
Dragon Age: Origins. Bioware, great writing, need I say more?
Left 4 Dead 2. Best multyplayer on the market, hands down.
Mass Effect 2. More great Biowareness
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando. Just plain fun

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Right off the top of my head:

Civilization V
Counter-Strike: Source
Battlefield 3
Rainbow Islands
Elasto Mania

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
My list:

1. Skyrim/Fallout New Vegas tie.
2. Fallout 3.
3. Arcanum of Steamworks and Magic Obscura.
4. Civilization 5.
5. Dragon Age: Origins.

Miyam2

Nov 5, 2011
Easily done,
1 - Lylat Wars
2 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
3 - Chrono Trigger
4 - Assassin's Creed II
5 - Skyrim

Andothul

Feb 11, 2010
1. Zelda OoT

2. Mass Effect 2

3. Knights of the Old Republic

4. Dragon Age

5. Banjo Kazooe /Super Mario 64

Gurgy

Jul 13, 2010
These are my top 5 favourite games not what I think are the 5 best games. Most of my choices were based on how much time I sunk into them. And Timesplitters and Halo are mostly on there due to fond memories of playing them with friends.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Minecraft
Pokemon (Not sure which specific one.)
Timesplitters 2 & Future Perfect
Halo (Series)

Some other games considered:
Resident Evil 4
Portal 1 & 2
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Earthbound

I'm sure there are others.

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
Dutchy115 said:
What are your top 5 games?
Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed 2, and Pokemon are all solid choices.

Mine would probably change depending on what mood I'm in when asked but mine would probably go:

1.Bioshock 1/2 (Can't Decide!)
2.Silent Hill 2
3/4.Mass Effect 2 (ME1 had more RPG elements and a better Villain, but I like 2 more)
3/4.Fallout New Vegas (Best RPG ever....This more or less ties with Mass Effect 2 for 3rd place)
5.Pokemon Soul Silver/Heart Gold (Remakes of Crystal, Silver, and Gold)

Runner Ups (In No Particular Order)

Team Fortress 2 (Best Online Shooter ever)
The Elder Scrolls 5:Skyrim (Was hard to pick New Vegas over this)
Portal 2 (Best Puzzle Game I've played and it has some Great Humor)
Red Dead Redemption (One of the best damn endings ever)
Assassin's Creed 2 or Brotherhood (I love this series. The story & gameplay are both top notch.)
Dragon Age:Origins (Awesome Game, but Mass Effect is better)
Luigi's Mansion (A Classic)
Megaman X (A Classic)
Super Mario World (A Classic)
Conker's Bad Fur Day (A Very Vulgar and Funny Classic)

I had a hard time choosing....

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Hmm... my top 5...

Banjo Tooie
Spyro the Dragon
Rock Band 2
Portal
Ocarina of Time]

I guess. Its hard to judge my top 5 games ever because I've played so many games and a lot I only remember based on nostalgia, and other more modern games I dont know if they'll stand the test of time like some of the classic oldies.

In terms of sheer time lost on them, it'd probably be more like:

Runescape
Rock Band 2/3
Skyrim
Team Fortress 2
Assassin's Creed franchise

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Ahh, couldn't pick single games. So I'll go with series.

Dragon Age has the only games which have ever made me stand up and pace the room thinking what to do, what to do... devilish choices. Brilliant.

Mass Effect is just amazing, 2 in particular. The finale was...so...goddamn. First time I tried it Grunt died. I didn't even really like Grunt. But goddamnit, it started raining on my face a little.

Jak and Daxter/Ratchet and Clank were the two games I grew up with. Yes, I am young. And goddamnit I love these bloody things to bits.

Fallout, every game without fail, has made me laugh. Not just from gleefully murdering innocent and not-so-innocent alike, but from the characters and environment. Especially Moira Brown. Only person I can think of in a game who I would happily risk my life for. ^^

And Portal. I loved every second of the two games (apart from when I got stuck because I'm a dunce) and teared up at the ending to Portal 2.

ShaqLevick

Jul 14, 2009
This is far from my list of greatest games ever made, but these are the games that I enjoyed the most. So yeah this would be my personal list.

1. Final Fantasy VI - Just a fantastic story.

2. Shadow of the Colossus - A real treat for the eyes.

3. Kirby All Stars - This game was jam packed with fun.

4. Halo 3 - Hours upon hours spent on multiplayer with friends.

5. Asherons Call - This wasn't exactly a hit but I sacrificed a few years to heed the call. A lot of close friends played and I haven't had any fun with MMOs since.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
In no particular order (aside from #1):
#1: Warcraft 3
Call of Duty 4
Halo 2
World of Warcraft
Mass Effect

There's nothing wrong with putting CoD4 or Halo 2 in your top 5. They're both excellent games with INCREDIBLE multiplayer portions. Now, if you had said Black Ops or Halo Reach... THEN you'd be pathetic and misinformed heh.

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
Gah, it's hard to choose, in no order I'd say:

Either Grim Fandango or Psychonauts, can't choose one, so consider this the "Tim Schafer" line.

Either Call of Duty 2 or 4, at the time they were quite innovative.

Beyond Good and Evil, because it made me bond with a total stranger of a lady on a bus.

Majora's Mask, for being an N64 game that still holds up well.

Chrono Trigger, for being the only JRPG that I can stand, by tugging on my heart's strings with the music and making me eyegasm with its visuals.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
LookingGlass said:
Of yours, I've only played Assassin's Creed II and Mass Effect. I have the first Wii Metroid game... but I didn't care for it after an hour or so. I'm currently considering purchasing the Jak and Daxter HD collection and experiencing those for the first time... apparently they hold up pretty well.

My list:
1. Deus Ex
2. Morrowind
3. Silent Hill 2
4. Rainbow Six: Raven Shield

Then it gets tricky. Depending on when you ask me I might say Rome: Total War, Demon's/Dark Souls, Freespace (I only finished it today and fudge it's good), Fallout 1 or 2, Homeworld, Baldur's Gate, Thief 2, one of the STALKER games, Hitman: Blood Money, or Valkyria Chronicles.

In the near future I'm going to play through Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, X-Com: UFO Defense, and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for the first time. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those jumps into the top 5.
Heh No Thief or System Shock?
The username and avatar are quite misleading... :p

OT:
1. Deus Ex...
2. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow Of Chernobyl...
3. System Shock 2...
4. E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy...
5. No More Heroes...

I know mostly populated by shooters... but trust me they're far more than just your typical FPS...<.<

senobit

Jan 6, 2011
Not in any order

Sonic
Time Crisis 2
Final Fantasy VII
Left 4 dead 2
Rocket Knight Adventure

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Off the ones on your list, Mass Effect. I liked the first game way more than the second one because it focused more on the RPG style than the third person shooter style.

And also, no matter how bad it was driving that Mako (if it was called that, can't remember) at least you could drive and shoot, instead of just scanning planets for ages.

ImProvGamr said:
This is a hard question... But if I had to pick 5 in no particular order, it would probably be:

Halo 3: ODST
Legend Of Zelda: A Link to the past
Portal 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy X

All these games aren't necessarily my favorites, but just won my favorite games of the day lottery. I tried to mix up the genres as well, otherwise it would be mostly RPGs. The only ones I'm sure should be on the list are Zelda LttP and SotC.
I'll be darned, I thought I was the only one that liked Halo: ODST.

townkrier

Jan 8, 2012
I tend to still like the old games better:

Final Fantasy Tactics
Starcraft 1
Secret of Mana
Zelda: Link to the Past
Final Fantasy VI

With the newest of those being SC1 and FFT from 1997.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Heres my top 15 :p
1.Shadow of the Colossus
2.Okami
3.Final Fantasy 9
4.Metal Gear Solid
5.Silent Hill 2
6.Fallout 1 2 and New vegas
7.Saints Row 2 and 3
8.Parasite Eve 2
9.Lunar Silver Star
10.Planescape Torment
11.Red Dead Redemption
12.ICO
13.Chrono Cross
14.Half Life 2
15.Beyond Good and Evil

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Sacman said:
Heh No Thief or System Shock?
The username and avatar are quite misleading... :p
I do love the first two Thief games and System Shock 2 (haven't actually played the first)... but they're a bit out of mind since I haven't played them for a while. System Shock 2 is annoying to get working these days (it needs to get on GOG). The Thief games definitely need a replay in the near future.