Poll: Top 5 games of all time, no mean comments

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
"Of all time" means that it has to bring something spectacular to the table, something that people wont forget or have some knowledge of later. Something which other games try to replicate (in today's industry).

Therefore any series must be limited to the 'first one'. So BF3 is based on BF1, which is where much of the technology and experience of the game designers (and limitations came from) - generally speaking. Some studios change owners and devs through time. Ref COD series.

In no particular order;

Elite - All space games come from this, it also proved open games worked
Civilization - much of tactical turn based games today comes from this on some level
Halflife - It raised the bar on FPS and spawned much of what we have today, even for multiplayer shooters
Sims - clean, simple and added complexity without adding confusion
Deus Ex - RPG elements and deep storyline, immersive and there have been few games that can even match that standard

MEEBO17

Mar 3, 2010
In no particular order,

Skyrim
Portal
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Minecraft
Shadow of the Colossus

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Emerald, because it was an awesome game, and I think the only one i've played from your list, not sure if i've done jak 3 or not.

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
Dutchy115 said:
If someone dares to put a CoD or Battlefield game in they're top 5, they'll of course be misinformed, but let's not abuse them because of their poor life decisions, ok?
I suppose if we're going to take cheap shots at people, I could point out your elementary misuse of the word 'their'. They're is a contraction, meaning they are[footnote]Which is incorrect in this case.[/footnote] whereas their denotes possession, as in someone having a Call of Duty or Battlefield game in their top-5 list. But, being the nice guy I am, I shall not abuse you because of your poor, misinformed, life decisions.

Anyway, my top five would probably have to be, at the moment, and in no particular order:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Minecraft
Terraria
Braid (more for the amazing story, but the gameplay is good along with stunning audio/visuals)
Cave Story

There are many other titles I've enjoyed greatly, but these five hold special places in my cold, shriveled heart.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Kriptonite said:
Dutchy115 said:
If someone dares to put a CoD or Battlefield game in they're top 5, they'll of course be misinformed, but let's not abuse them because of their poor life decisions, ok?
I suppose if we're going to take cheap shots at people, I could point out your elementary misuse of the word 'their'. They're is a contraction, meaning they are[footnote]Which is incorrect in this case.[/footnote] whereas their denotes possession, as in someone having a Call of Duty or Battlefield game in their top-5 list. But, being the nice guy I am, I shall not abuse you because of your poor, misinformed, life decisions.

Anyway, my top five would probably have to be, at the moment, and in no particular order:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Minecraft
Terraria
Braid (more for the amazing story, but the gameplay is good along with stunning audio/visuals)
Cave Story

There are many other titles I've enjoyed greatly, but these five hold special places in my cold, shriveled heart.
I like how you try to sound intelligent over the internet using basic grammar correction, you are so smart :) *Pats*

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
5) Call of Duty 4
4) Dead Space 2
3) Portal 1
2) Half-Life 2 & Episodes
1) Portal 2

To offset Valve's dominance on that list and give other developers a fair shake, I'll also name my 6th, 7th, and 8th favourites, which would be Fallout: New Vegas, Minecraft, and Bastion respectively.

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
Your list is pretty awesome, can't fault it :)

Mine is;

1. Alice: Madness Returns

2. Bioshock 1

3. Left 4 Dead 2

4. Beyond Good and Evil

5. Batman: Arkham Asylum

(special mention goes to Silent Hill 2 and Bayonetta)

Yeah, I love plot-heavy games, ideally with a lot of psychological symbolism (I know L4D2 isn't but the characterisation is awesome and the expanded universe adds an optional level of plot and depth.) However, I don't play Bayonetta for the plot; imo it is entertainment in the purest sensation of the word; fun combat, likeable characters and banter, OTT... everything and feeling of being an unstoppable gravity-defying angel killing machine is uber-gratifying.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
I haven't played all of those games - I cannot speak to whether Jak 3 or Metroid Prime were good picks, but Mass Effect, Pokemon, and Assassin's Creed are all fine.

Were I to make my list proper, there would be an overwhelming representation of RPGs. As such, I'll wrap them all (Bioware's stuff, Obsidian's stuff, L.A. Noire, Deus Ex: HR (haven't played the others)) into the number one spot - not Bethesda, I find their stuff is fun the first time, but has little depth or replayability.

1. RPGs (KotOR is #1)
2. Golden Sun
3. Hitman: Blood Money
4. Legend of Zelda (Hard to choose between Twilight and Ocarina)
5. Prince of Persia

Runners up are Batman, Halo, Fallout: NV, and Skyrim.

Sep 13, 2010
wow, tough one.

No More Heroes, no words can explain this game

Condemned: Criminal Origins, Proves that you don't have to sacrifice excellent controls for horror

Jack 2, 2 is my favorite but the whole series is gold

Persona 4, I actually gave a damn about the characters in this game, I hope this gives some idea of how good the writing and characters are.

Prince of Persia 2, The whole sands of time set is good but #2's game play is the best in the series even if the prince did go off his meds

Bayonetta, I can't leave this out, because the combat in this game is so good it gives me a hard on

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
Random Fella said:
Kriptonite said:
Dutchy115 said:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Minecraft
Terraria
Cave Story

I like how you try to sound intelligent over the internet using basic grammar correction, you are so smart :) *Pats*
Oh no good sir, please do not misunderstand. I am not attempting to come across as intelligent on the internet via grammar correction. I was attempting to demonstrate to you that we should not be dicks to people we don't know for superfluous reasons. You were trying to put others down simply for liking a game or games that you, yourself, do not like, regardless of how funny you wanted it to seem. In my view, that's retarded. In my previous post, I was pointing out that no one is perfect. The most depressing part of this whole exchange, to me, is that you still fail to implement proper use of grammar. The end of a sentence is often, in the English language, denoted with a period. I shall include a picture of one as an example.
This, sir, is a period and is typically found at the end of a statement. An example of a statement would be, "You are so smart." This statement can be found at the end of your last post, however, it is suspiciously lacking a period. I hope you are able to walk away with a little knowledge this time as, apparently, last time, you were unable to do so. Have a great day.

cmerc

Mar 9, 2010
Such a hard decision, but I'd go with:

1. Xenogears
2. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Metal Gear Solid
5. Resident Evil 4

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Kriptonite said:
Snip for overly large quote.
Actually, if you look to who you originally quoted, it was not me.
If you had the basic common sense skills of a normal human, you may have noticed this.
Therefore saying that you were correcting my grammar, is incorrect, as you corrected the OP's grammar, showing you are foolish indeed.
As for your correction on my sentence not ending with a full stop or 'period', you actually got something correct. *Applauds*
Now I recommend you end this argument before further embarrassing yourself.
But do not worry, I am not mad at you.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Mass Effect Series, though 2 moreso than 1 so far. (Between both games so far, I have about 35 playthroughs done)

The Old Republic (Have over 500 hours clocked on it, so far)

Knights of the Old Republic 1/2: Two sides of the same coin, each equally as engaging as the other (just different ways of telling a story within the SW universe, really - KotOR2 feels more EU whereas KotOR feels more like the original trilogy)

The Darkness II (It is short, but damn if those flashback scenes don't really drive you into the psyche of Jackie..)

The Halo Series (flame me all you like, reading both the books and playing the games really gives some emotional/dramatic depth to the characters and universe Halo plays out in)

Honorable Mention:

Gears of War 3 (Although I will never forgive Epic for the death of Dom, you assholes!)

townkrier

Jan 8, 2012
KnightOfHearts said:
Hmmmmm top 5 eh?

Probably:

1. Vagrant Story
2. Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
3. Devil May cry 3
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Kingdoms of Alumar (First day buy and I've already done 25 hours... I'm no where near being bored with it either).
Top 5? KoA? Seriously? Have you only played 5 games? I'm on 20 hours into it and its really good.. but top 5 already?

KnightOfHearts

May 24, 2011
townkrier said:
KnightOfHearts said:
Hmmmmm top 5 eh?

Probably:

1. Vagrant Story
2. Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
3. Devil May cry 3
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Kingdoms of Alumar (First day buy and I've already done 25 hours... I'm no where near being bored with it either).
Top 5? KoA? Seriously? Have you only played 5 games? I'm on 20 hours into it and its really good.. but top 5 already?

I know, it'd so odd
Could be worse though.... right?