Poll: Unfinished Games Anonymous: do you ever give up before completion?

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
This is a habit of mine. After having invested a reasonable amount of time progressing through a game, sometimes I just put it down and don't come back to it.

It's been happening intermittently since I was a kid, although it was less common back then because I had to beg and borrow to play maybe one new game every six months, so I wanted to get as much out of them as possible. It has definitely spiked in frequency since I left high school, in part because of other commitments but often because I just stop caring.

It happens both with games I bought for a ha'penny (Assassin's Creed 2) and games I paid top dollar for (L.A. Noire). It happens with RPGs (both Dragon Age games, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout 3). It happens with shooters (Borderlands 2, Gears of War, Stalker). It happens with strategy games (Starcraft 2, Dawn of War). It happens with simulations where you have a long playthrough (Civilization, Sim City, Cities in Motion, EU3) - I just forget about that playthrough and go to another one. It even happens with MMO characters - in Vanilla WoW I gave up on a level 40 shaman, a level 42 warlock and a level 36 rogue.

Very rarely is it because of difficulty, because I've sunk hundreds of hours into games that constantly kick my ass, like FTL. Sometimes it's because of bugs, or even hacking (thanks, online only Diablo 3). Sometimes it's because the story takes a turn that kills my interest or investment in seeing the plot unfold and/or resolve. Sometimes it's because the gameplay devolves into a tedious grind, a gear check or becomes overly reliant on mechanics not befitting the quality expected of a AAA title (QTEs, point and click, mob spamming, one button gameplay, tile matching etc). Sometimes its because either or both the gameplay and the story become extremely predictable.

It strikes me as odd when I think of how much money I've paid and how much time I've invested in some cases, but it goes on all the same. So how does it affect you all? Do you find yourself giving up too often?

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I used to play most of my games to completion even if I found them boring or annoying these days if a game is not doing it for me and I have no cause to think it may get better I will stop same if it annoying the hell out of me. I just dont have the time to dedicate to games I dont enjoy any more then again I also buy less games now and am more conservative in what I buy so I probably stop playing games less now than what I used to but when I stop now it almost always a conscious decision whereas before I would just drift away from a game.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I didn't even make it through this thread.

Posting irreverent comments on internet forums is far more important than finishing games.

Sure, I stop playing games for extended periods of time all the time. Even if I like them. I try to eventually go back to the ones I do enjoy, at least to finish the main plot lines. I still have yet to discover the formula for what actually keeps me interested in something; pointing at the games that I do like doesn't seem to do much to help that.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I've been gaming since I was seven, that's the past twelve years, and not once have I reached a game to 100% completion. Hell, I've never even leveled an MMO character to max level. When I was younger, I just didn't give a rat's ass. In my early teenage years, I found collecting feathers/flags/whatever the fuck you collect to be way to tedious.

Now, I would like to say I've completed a game to 100%. I'm actually pretty damn close in Shadow of Mordor. I think I'm at 92% now. The trophies I still need to get are the really tedious ones and the hunting challenging is not difficult, just hard to find the creature I need to kill. But soon, I'm hoping to get that platinum trophy.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
It happens to me fairly frequently although I have to say that it's not something I've done for a while.

LA Noire and Bayonetta have been on my shelf for years as "the games I will eventually get around to finishing."

I also abandoned Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, Assassin's Creed II...

There are more but I don't want to be lynched.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
If I have no desire to go back to a game after an extended break then it was not worth finishing in the first place. If a game is actually good then I will play it to completion but if its not it will get tossed. I see no point in playing something that I really do not want to play.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
It really bugs me if I don't. I couldn't care less about getting 100% in the vast majority of things, but not finishing the main campaign is a crime to me... unless the game is just that awful or broken but I'm talking 1 in 20 games I play, maybe less.

Right now, I'm chugging along (having taken a break for a while) to finish the 3rd Fallout New Vegas DLC, Old World Blues. My save file is over 11MB now, and while I'm still having fun, it is at times unplayable due to extreme lagging/freezing. Yesterday I got the HD ICO & Shadow of the Colossus pair but as bad as I wanna start them, I'm determined to at least finish Old World Blues.

Note that I have already finished the main New Vegas campaign, but have yet to play Lonesome Road... definitely concerned about whether or not my save file will be able to hack that one! I will play that one at some stage but it will likely be a great test of patience!

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
As for as I'm aware there are only two games I have never finished at least the main campaign for Digimon World for the PS1 and Borderlands 2 (Which I only ever play with a friend but our play time is rather limited).

Other than that yea I always finish at least the Campaign

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
There are several games I've really liked that I haven't finished for one reason or another. Sometimes I just get sidetracked by something else and can't play for a while, sometimes the mood just doesn't strike me again. I sometimes go several months without playing games at all, which results in some games being left hanging.

I've never 100%'d a game. I came close with the first Spyro but got bored with it.

I do try to get to the end of games I've enjoyed eventually and I do mostly finish them anyway, but I certainly don't make a point to finish games. If I'm not in the mood I'm not in the mood. Why would I play if I'm not gonna enjoy it?

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I will shelve games for quite a while when I grow bored of them but I usually go back to them. The only exception to that is Resonance of Fate. It had a great battle system that was a lot of fun but almost everything else about it was just terrible. It's a shame too because there was clearly so much potential there but it seems like Tri-Ace just didn't care. It was basically a glorified arena fighting game.

Clearwaters

Jul 14, 2014
If something is really bad/broken I'll drop it and move on. I can't imagine what would posses someone to keep playing a game they don't enjoy. Still when I play a game I aim to at the very least complete the main story/campaign and do some of the side stuff along the way.

100% is reserved for games I just can't get enough of.

vledleR

Nov 3, 2014
I only do it with game I can't get into. I try my best to give the games a bit of credence, but sometime I can't justify the time. FFXIII, Rage, and Crysis 2 are examples that stick out for me.

courier006

Nov 3, 2014
I find ever since I started PC gaming and discovered the joy/horror of constant sales that I keep bouncing from one game to another. Unless the game immediately grabs me I end up playing something I haven't got to yet on my back catalog.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There's a few games I've started and haven't finished. Usually because I either lost interest or the game would require more time then I had available for the foreseeable future(but I want to come back to).

And in some cases, the game is just broken or so difficult that it doesn't feel like it's worth the effort/frustration to proceed.

imperialwar

Jun 17, 2008
I still remember the first game I ever clocked, back in the day when games had score boards.
Though technically you could never finish it as the levels reset upon completion.
A game called Wizball on my commodore 64.

It wasn't until after played Mega Drive games that I was able to go back and finish most of my childhood collection of games.
I think Sonic on my Master System was the next game I completed, but dont quote me on that.

The number of games I completed within 2 weeks of purchase became a phenomenon when PS1 came out. Pretty much every major release (here in Australia) for the first 3 years.

As I've gotten older though and past my second decade of gaming I'm finding I complete less games.
In fact both my favourite games CANT be completed, Minecraft and WoW (sorry but with WoW there's always dailies to grind for gold etc so I deem it unfinishable). Next year I will have had my WoW account for 10 years.
Usually about twice a year I sit myself down with game completion challenges, but even then I still drop off and dont finish them :p

I received my commodore 64 on my 10th birthday, in 1987. I am now 37. So get of my lawn you damn kids !!

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I have a really strange habit of abandoning games when the end is RIGHT NEXT TO ME.

In multiple games, i have played games right to the FINAL BOSS, and then just stop there. I didn't quit because i found the boss hard, i just stopped completely randomly and didn't bother to see the games ending. Should really stop doing that.

small

Aug 5, 2014
ive been gaming since 1979 and alot of the games i grew up with, well you never did completely them, you just kept playing them till you got sick of them or found something else to play.

i do get what imperialwar said about the playstation, i was forever finishing games within 3 days at most with that, enjoyable but still bad value for money as far as im concerned.

my latest was an indy game called "betrayer" original setting, quirky, unique art style with it and bored me senseless after 35 minutes

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
It happens to me fairly frequently although I have to say that it's not something I've done for a while.

LA Noire and Bayonetta have been on my shelf for years as "the games I will eventually get around to finishing."

I also abandoned Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, Assassin's Creed II...

There are more but I don't want to be lynched.
I don't think I've ever completed an Elder Scrolls game, because their design frustrates the shit out of me. It's usually the point where the level scaling ruins the sense of exploration and immersion because you run into bandits wearing Daedric armour that they could use to buy a house, and they pulverise you because you have too many levels in herb picking and not enough armour skill.

As for Ass Creed 2, I gave up when I realised that in-game money was pointless, the best armour was free and the hidden blade could be used to perform counter kills, thus negating the need for any other weapon.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If I don't finish a game it's either because I think it's shit, or because tedium has set in. Recently I went back to XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and while I do really like it, after a certain point it just feels like I'm doing the same thing over and over and over. Now this is typically the case with most games, which is why a good/fun story can help to alleviate this for me.